Latest post Thu, Sep 26 2013 12:47 PM by Sanjin Švajger. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 29 2013 9:57 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 826
    • Points 11,065

Avid to Adobe Audition Workflow?

Hi, there.

Does anyone know if this is possible?  

Because I don't own Protools yet, I'd like to edit in Medai Composer and sweeten my audio in Adobe Audition. Theoretically, this is supposed to work, but I can't get it to. Avid no longer seems to allow straight OMF export (the way FCP 7 does and the way Avid apparently used to) Instead, you export an AAF with OMF media attached? (or something like that - I don't understand this concept) However, Audition doesn't import AAFs (but it does import straight OMFs beautifully).  I imagine that this clash is an Avid Vs. Adobe issue.

One workaround idea I came up with was to import the Avid AAF into Premiere and try to export from there, but the AAF import into Premiere is crashing Premiere. I've read posts online about Adobe saying it's possible to import AAFs from Avid, but that in reality it never really works.

The last resort I have is to export each of my Avid audio tracks as individual .wav files. A lot of work and not very flexible, but that's the best I could come up with.

Does anyone have any experience going from Avid to Audition?

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:14 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Re: Avid to Adobe Audition Workflow?

S.Clements:

The last resort I have is to export each of my Avid audio tracks as individual .wav files. A lot of work and not very flexible,

I´m doing that all the time when I´m using Audition, add MI - MO to a copied sequense, export wav between in and out 10 secs or so, throw that wav into Audition, same 10 secs, do my stuff and save as new, maybe a little more than 10 secs depending on what I have done, importing back into Avid, same 10 secs and as MI and MO already are marked just to replace with that new clip.

Maybe a couple of minutes / clip .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:42 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 826
    • Points 11,065

Thanks for confirming your workflow, Mjoinarn.  I guess my thinking was that this isn't as flexible as an OMF export, because you're exporting entire tracks (say for a 2 hour feature, for example)  It seems a bit "old school" to me.  Also, I'm not familiar with the term MI-MO.  What does that mean?  Thanks for the input.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 29 2013 10:51 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

You´re welcome and MI MO is just Mark In and Mark Out Smile

hth

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 12:21 PM In reply to

You should be able to generate an OMF from MC by first going into the Audio Project Settings window and changing the audio file format from PCM (MXF) to Wave (OMF). I didn't try this for a while but it used to work on V5.5.

Multiple Mac systems, MAC Pro, MacBook Pro's, OS Mojave, AJA IO 4K, T-Tap. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 29 2013 12:41 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 826
    • Points 11,065

David Richardson:

You should be able to generate an OMF from MC by first going into the Audio Project Settings window and changing the audio file format from PCM (MXF) to Wave (OMF). I didn't try this for a while but it used to work on V5.5.

Thanks, David.  I had tried switching to an SD project in Avid to force an OMF export (with poor results), but didn't try the route you suggested.  Hopefully it'll work.  I'll give it a whirl.

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 9:46 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 979
    • Points 11,590

Yes, you can export Omf. I'm not in front of Media Composer, right now but i think you have to switch to a sd-project and change the file format from mxf to omf in the media creation settings. Then, export an omf and consolidate to aif-c media.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2021.9, OSX 10.14.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3,6 GHz Intel Core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Mon, Apr 29 2013 11:34 PM In reply to

• Patrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 26 2010
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,955

Looks like there's a script you can drop into premiere to enable aaf import:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/aafimport.html

and from there send it to audition. Maybe. :-)

Mac Pro 8 core, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, Media Composer 7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 30 2013 8:54 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 826
    • Points 11,065

Patrick:

Looks like there's a script you can drop into premiere to enable aaf import:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/aafimport.html

and from there send it to audition. Maybe. :-)

Thanks for the suggestion, Patrick.  I had previously tried that, but didn't have much luck with the AAF import.  I'm not sure what the problem is.  Gonna keep looking for a solution.

• Tue, Apr 30 2013 9:03 AM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 979
    • Points 11,590

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2021.9, OSX 10.14.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3,6 GHz Intel Core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Tue, Apr 30 2013 9:31 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 826
    • Points 11,065

Thanks, Bolersch.  In Media Composer 6.5, you can't just export OMF audio from an HD sequence.  You have to convert your project to SD and change your media creation settings from MXF to OMF.  This is a silly workaround.  You should be able to just export an OMF, because not all Audio mixing software supports AAF the way ProTools does.  

When I finally was able to export an OMF, the Avid told me there was an error with my OMF, because I couldn't export an OMF from a sequence with mixed framerates.  I have mixed 24 fps and 25fps footage in my timeline.  This would force me to either fix all the framerate issues beforehand or go AAF to Protools (which I don't have) or export entire tracks (which causes reduced flexibility).  

So, I've learned that Avid doesn't play well with Audition (and most likely other DAWs) in general.  Seems like it's really just geared to go to Protools and nothing else.

• Thu, Sep 26 2013 12:47 PM In reply to

Audition works just fine with OMF2.0 (CS6). No problems for me. I'm exporting with MC6.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller