Latest post Thu, Jun 26 2014 4:31 PM by ManChicken. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:39 PM

• John Babinec
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Default Starting TC Issue.....

Hello, for over a decade now I have changed my Default Starting TC in the General Settings to something else to allow for tone and bars at the head of my cuts so the first video will start at 1 hour exactly.

NOW when I do this in MC6.5.2 however, it also changes the source timecode of all audio clips I import into bins!. VO, Music, et...... One editor swears it has always done this and I swear it hasn't, and the user manual clearly states that the TC value entered here adjusts the starting timecode of all new SEQUENCES created. Can someone please clear this up and/or fix it.....

Thanks!

MC 6.5.2 Software only. Mac Pro 8-Core 16GB RAM, ATTO H680 6Gb/s drive controller w/(4) Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB Drives [view my complete system specs]

John Babinec

Editor/ACI

• Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:42 PM In reply to

Re: Default Starting TC Issue.....

Is it just audio imports or does it affect video imports as well?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:50 PM In reply to

• John Babinec
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135
      Avid Certified User

Just audio.....

MC 6.5.2 Software only. Mac Pro 8-Core 16GB RAM, ATTO H680 6Gb/s drive controller w/(4) Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB Drives [view my complete system specs]

John Babinec

Editor/ACI

• Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:53 PM In reply to

I just tested this on both MC 5.5.3 and Symphony 6.5.2. The starting TC for imports does indeed change according to what is entered in the window under general settings. Never noticed it before, but that window does say Default Starting TC, not Default Sequence Starting TC.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:01 PM In reply to

On my end, it affects both video and audio imports.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:05 PM In reply to

• John Babinec
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135
      Avid Certified User

Which is bizzare because the manual clearly states for Sequences......... Why would anybody want ALL the timecodes to change on every single clip? That's not normal....

John Babinec

Editor/ACI

• Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:09 PM In reply to

Since it's this way on version 5 as well, I have to conclude that it's always been that way. But I agree with you, I would prefer that it only affected sequence start times. Or an option tab to allow setting both import and sequence start TC.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:14 PM In reply to

You can always create a "dummy sequence" that you use as a base and put in a separate "elements" type project.  (We have one where our bars/tone, slates, and black slug files live).

Create a sequence starting at the TC you want with bars/tone and whatever else you want.  Then duplicate each time you start a new sequence.  Then you have the best of both worlds, and don't have to add bars to every sequence you do.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:23 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:
    Create a sequence starting at the TC you want with bars/tone and whatever else you want.  Then duplicate each time you start a new sequence.  Then you have the best of both worlds, and don't have to add bars to every sequence you do.

That's exactly what I do in my Common Elements project - master sequence templates for each show series that start at 58:30:00 for bars, tone and countdown with program start at 1:00:00:00 that we duplicate as needed per episode. Perhaps that's why I never noticed this issue before, since my default is 1:00:00:00.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:29 PM In reply to

• John Babinec
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135
      Avid Certified User

Yeah I know..... I'll probably do that. It just sucks because I know this is not right and it just makes my life harder that's all. Especially since I freelance around town a lot and can't bring preset sequences with me from facility to facility because they all use their own tone and bars and slates.....

Thanks anyway guys......

John Babinec

Editor/ACI

• Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:38 PM In reply to

I guess for you John it's best to just leave the default at 1:00:00:00, which I think most people use anyhow and use "Get Sequence report..." to change the start TC of any sequence in progress.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 18 2013 7:40 PM In reply to

Does the footage you are importing have TC to begin with?  I've just tested this and imported a wav file (with TC), a 5d file (no TC) and a pro res mov (with TC)... The 5d file came in with new starting TC matching the general setting.  The others retained their timecode.  MC needs timecode and if it is not seeing any on clips it imports I think it assigns it based on that setting.  Would be nice if this is mentioned in the user guide (i'm not saying that its not there - i just have not seen it....)

Anyone else confirm this?

• Wed, May 14 2014 4:43 AM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,540

architectspiders:
    Anyone else confirm this?

(digging up and old thread) Yes, and it's a major PITA when it comes time to online a sequence cut in MC on some other system when the clips refer to timecodes that don't actually exist in the source file -- because every other sane system on the planet (correctly) assumes that no timecode in a file means a start of 00:00:00:00, not some random number plucked from a user preference.

• Wed, May 14 2014 6:52 AM In reply to

How MY definded timecode on non timecode sources on import has changed over time.

At one stage it used the creation date time (no use as this could easily change if the file was modified) I think this was V5.5

V6 or V6.5 it changed to using the general setting so any source with no timecode as well as new sequences started with that timecode which sort of was ok while your general setting was 01:00:00:00 as in the US but no use here in the UK where we have it as 10:00:00:00 or even 09:58:00:00

So they then reverted to any non timecode source having 00:00:00:00 as it's start and the general setting now only affects sequence start timecodes.

But you need to be on Version 7 to have the revised working.

Basically your on an older version and it wasn't right then.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E [email protected]

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jun 12 2014 9:34 PM In reply to

• ManChicken
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 4 2008
    • Denver, CO
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,540

Pat Horridge:

So they then reverted to any non timecode source having 00:00:00:00 as it's start and the general setting now only affects sequence start timecodes.

But you need to be on Version 7 to have the revised working.

Maybe on Mac.. I tested on 7.0.3 and 7.0.4 Windows and that's not the case, it still uses the 'Default Starting TC' code from the General prefs.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller