Latest post Wed, Mar 14 2012 1:02 AM by Larry Rubin. 79 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (80 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 26 2011 10:09 PM

OS X LION IS NOW QUALIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A reminder, because this keeps coming up in various threads:

Apple OS Lion X (10.7) is NOT yet qualified for use with Media Composer, nor is Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Avid engineering is working diligently on both - this item has high priorty. As soon as one or the other or both get qualified, I or another moderator will post an announcement to alert the community.

August 17 -2011 Update:

Great News!   Media Compsoer 5.5.3 and Symphony 5.5.3 are NOW compatible with the revised Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and the new Mac OS X 10.7 Lion!!!!!!!! 

The 5.5.3 release ( Media Composer and Symphony) running on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion  is qualified with local storage only and Avid shared storage or Interplay compatibility testing is ongoing at this time.  You can still use Media Compsoer or Symphony 5.5.3 as long as you stay on 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 with shared storage.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/LegacySearch?DocId=412351

Marianna

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jul 27 2011 4:55 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,259
    • Points 15,955
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: OS LION X NOT YET QUALIFIED

Larry is right.  And if you're looking for further clarification:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk#t=1m25s

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Thu, Aug 4 2011 8:34 PM In reply to

Priceless...  :)

MacBook Pro OS 10.8.5, 2.7ghz Core i7, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB, Avid MC 8.0. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 5 2011 9:20 PM In reply to

• Torv
    • Not Ranked
    • Marin County, California
    • Posts 10
    • Points 190

I have only one question:  why is Avid continually behnid the curve in qualifying Apple's OS updates for their products?  OSX Lion was announced over 18 months ago.  Avid is a presumably a developer and Lion's introduction surely is no surprise to the engineers at Avid.  Why isn't Avid more proactive in terms of keeping up with Apple's OS updates?  (OK that's 2 questions!) If an Avid customer needs to buy a new Mac for whatever reason, one that happens to have Lion installed, the customer is out of luck if he needs to edit on his new Mac because Avid's qualification process lags months behind and often times, the new Mac's OS cannot be downgraded to Avid's qualified version of the OS because of various hardware/ROM issues in the new Mac.  Case in point - OSX 106.8 has been our for a few months now and Avid still hasn't qualified that OS, which by the way luckily plays perfectly with MC.  By the time that Avid releases a qualified MC update for Lion, Apple will have released 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 which in turn will not be qualified for the MC update that finally comes out.  I'd love to hear Avid's rationale behind these policies which do not serve their customers well.

Mac OSX, Mac Book Pro [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Aug 5 2011 9:36 PM In reply to

Torv:
    OSX Lion was announced over 18 months ago.

And was only released for customer sales last month. One reason for the delay is that Avid must wait for the final release version to be sure that testing the OS is on a level playing field for the customer, which it would not be by attempting to test dozens or perhaps even over 100 different beta builds. As far as the rest of the qualifying and testing processes go, I will defer to Marianna to lay those out for you. What I can tell you is that qualifying 10.6.8 and 10.7 (Lion) is a top priority at Avid QA and Engineering and they are working overtime to do it.  

But I also have to say that IN MY OPINION, Apple creates new OSs at a pace that is far more accelerated than is practical for the customer to keep up with. Some colleagues of mine say that Apple changes it's OSs more frequently than some people change their underwear. And that from the lips of frustrated Mac customers.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Aug 6 2011 6:03 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,259
    • Points 15,955

This topic baffles me.  I fully understand it but can't help shaking my head.

I started cutting on Moviolas, followed by 6 and 8 plate Steenbecks.  Not 60 years ago either - just in the mid nineties.  I went to a number of film schools, and was the last class at NYFA to use actual film.  The next year, schools everywhere bought Media Composers or Premiere.  (Final Cut wasn't in a sellable state yet.) So there were Apple computers plugged into Avid AVBV boxes as far as the eye could see.  And there was no culture of point-and-click necessity.  No one would EVER think to upgrade their system without a safety net of capital.  Sure some minute upgrades were happening, but they were ALL done with an Avid tech support rep on the phone.

So today when I read about editors saying "LOOK, there's an update available, of course I'll upgrade!", I go nuts.  Do they post hate mail on MS Office for Mac's forums?  No.  Do they rattle Photoshop's cages when functionality gets broken?  No.  Just Avid.

But I understand.  Most of this point-and-click culture have no idea what actually has to happen for Avid to chase Apple's OS upgrades.  They don't know that no responsible software company would ever jeopardize the purchasing decisions of... say Discovery Channel or WGBH in Boston who buy (literally) tons of Avid equipment... just to quickly qualify their software.

Please give it time.  Avid - like Adobe, MS Office, and every camera company out there - HAS TO wait until day-one of the PUBLIC release to even begin testing.  It's not like putting a hammer to a nail or flavoring your coffee.  It takes time.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

• Sat, Aug 6 2011 9:11 PM In reply to

• sam the sham
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Apple Valley, Ca
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,790

Torv, Wow! you must ask this question every 3 or 4 years Big Smile

example:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/50246/284777.aspx#284777

MC 6.0.3.1 thank you very much, FCP X v.10.2.3, MAC Pro, 2 @ Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.4 GHz,(Westmere),12gb 1066mhz DDR3 ram, ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB. 3@ 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 6 2011 9:20 PM In reply to

And for the record, I must point out that IN EVERY SINGLE CASE, Avid has risen to the challenge of qualifying every new OS that has come down the road, whether on PC or Mac since MC was first introduced. That's a perfect record, not one single failure to qualify. If they rushed through the process, all of us would suffer. With all due respect Torv, you need to loosen up a little and let them take the time they need to do the job right. Ultimately, we all win when it comes to the single most important aspect of using Composer - STABILITY.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Aug 6 2011 11:09 PM In reply to

• Torv
    • Not Ranked
    • Marin County, California
    • Posts 10
    • Points 190

All I'm saying guys, is Avid isn't doing their customer base any favors by releasing "qualified" software so many months after Apple releases a new OS or even an update to an OS.  Yes, it's a sore point for me and frankly I'm used to it since I've been an Avid customer and user since the early 90's.  Nevertheless, it still baffles me.  Is Avid participating in Apple's developer program or not?  If they are, then they are recieving "builds" of the OS as Apple releases them making the road map of where Apple is going with the OS clearly available and visible to them as a developer.  Avid has plenty of time, assuming they are participating in Apple's developer program, to tweak and modify MC as Apple's OS builds become available.  When "golden masters" are finally released to the develper network any modifications to the the developers software should be minor making it possible for a company like Avid to release qualified updates in a more timely manner. If Avid is not participating in the developer program, then that is simply wrong and without justification.

Chris' point regarding Office or Photoshop is moot as they work perfectly under Lion without any updates required, so I fail to understand youir point there and those companies DO NOT have to wait for the final release because they are recieving beta builds of Apple's OS to insure that their software works for their customers.  Finally, I'm not advocating that Avid release software that fails to perform simply because Apple updates their OS on a regular basis.  All I'm saying is they need to be more proactive and less sluggish in ensuring that the software keeps up with Apple's technology.  Naturally, I'm not upgrading any mission critical computer simply because I'm impatient.  But it's always interesting to me when I upgrade non-mission critical computers ahead of Avid's qualified release to see what works and what doesn't.  That said, of all the software I have on a computer I did upgrade just to see what happens, there are only 2 incompatibilities -- Avid Media Composer and a Sony SxS driver for Final Cut that don't work.  Everything else performs as expected from FCP7 to FCPx (that's to be expected I suppose) to Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects and MS Office.

Mac OSX, Mac Book Pro [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Aug 7 2011 12:20 AM In reply to

Torv:
    When "golden masters" are finally released to the develper network any modifications to the the developers software should be minor making it possible for a company like Avid to release qualified updates in a more timely manner.
    For me you miss the point. There is nothing to say that this is not the way Avid does it. The difference is when those final tweaks are done the program has to be tested in all manor of setups with a vast variety of import and export parameters etc and perform RELIABLY in all these tests. Avid may well work (in some form) with each new OS the day it is released. This may be only 99% reliable for some percentage of users, with specific setups and workflows. Qualified means a high degree of reliability for a very high percentage of users. In a professional environment THIS is what I want.

Torv:
    I've been an Avid customer and user since the early 90's.
    Same here and it has always been the case that you could move to a new OS, at your own risk, long before it was qualified. With LUCK you got a reliable system.... with deadlines I do not want to rely on LUCK.

• Sun, Aug 7 2011 6:09 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,259
    • Points 15,955

I will get back into this thread for one quick minute... I think that Avid does indeed need to listen to folks like Torv if they are indeed going to seize a great deal of the FCP users this year.  

Obviously from the posts made above, there is a process and a timeframe that needs to happen on the part of Avid's engineers when a new Apple OS is publicly released.  I think many of us understand that... but a HUGE population of editors are on their way over to the Avid world right now who do NOT understand that.

Existing clients (ones with big investment in Avid and its products) need to be considered.  Yet as we've seen even in the last month, there will be an incredible influx of FCP switchers who are used to an instantly-upgraded editing environment.  Does that change Avid's process?  Nope.  However if I'm reading Torv's pulse correctly, what CAN change is Avid's attention to the expectations of the FCP editors knocking on their door.  Does that mean throwing more staff at the qualifying process?  Does that mean throwing more money at the engineers?  Perks for engineers like better stock options and spousal relocation programs?  And raising the cost of Media Composer to $5,000 to pay for it?  (See where I'm going with this?)

I love Apple.  I cringe and tolerate editing on a Win7 Avid at work, and can't wait to get home and edit on my MacPro Avid.

But perhaps it's not a case of Avid moving faster, spending more money or being more dedicated.  Perhaps it's Apple.  If the OS was indeed announced and underway 18 months ago, what was their approach towards venders?  Open?  Closed?  Perhaps Steve Job's various departments could have worked more openly with Avid.  Although a competitor, Avid is a paying competitor.  A huge one.  How else did they achieve QuickTime integration into AMA?  Sounds a bit more like they are constantly covering their answers during a test, and less like they are working towards a global appreciation of Apple by professional editors.  (FCP-X anyone?)

So, Hey Apple.  I love you.  But that's strike two.

• Mon, Aug 8 2011 7:25 PM In reply to

Look I can understand Lion not being supported yet. But not 10.6.8? No excuse for that. Does Avid expect users to go out and buy used computers in order to run Avid software?

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 8 2011 7:44 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Torv:

I have only one question:  why is Avid continually behnid the curve in qualifying Apple's OS updates for their products?  OSX Lion was announced over 18 months ago.  Avid is a presumably a developer and Lion's introduction surely is no surprise to the engineers at Avid.  Why isn't Avid more proactive in terms of keeping up with Apple's OS updates?  (OK that's 2 questions!) If an Avid customer needs to buy a new Mac for whatever reason, one that happens to have Lion installed, the customer is out of luck if he needs to edit on his new Mac because Avid's qualification process lags months behind and often times, the new Mac's OS cannot be downgraded to Avid's qualified version of the OS because of various hardware/ROM issues in the new Mac.  Case in point - OSX 106.8 has been our for a few months now and Avid still hasn't qualified that OS, which by the way luckily plays perfectly with MC.  By the time that Avid releases a qualified MC update for Lion, Apple will have released 10.7.2 or 10.7.3 which in turn will not be qualified for the MC update that finally comes out.  I'd love to hear Avid's rationale behind these policies which do not serve their customers well.

Torv,

We arent behind the "curve" so to speak - we are following due diligence to make sure that what we approved actually works.  While we received the "official" Lion release the same day as the public - that is sometimes different than the developer releases prior.  Thats the way it is.  As I said we are a developer and we do have access to the developer releases of Lion but those releaase and the real thing are not the same.  Case in point 10.6.8 - the developer release worked but the official release had issues  causing products like Mojo DX and Nitris DX to fail with a kernel panic - also affecting other products like AJA and NVIDIA.  We always go back to square one with the offifical releases to make SURE they work with everything that is approved under a specific MC version.

Sometimes we must wait for an updatd MC version as the combo of OS and MC require a tweak or 2 - and sometimes we wait for consistency or because we are close to launching an update.

Lion support is coming shortly....

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 8 2011 7:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

brainburst:

Look I can understand Lion not being supported yet. But not 10.6.8? No excuse for that. Does Avid expect users to go out and buy used computers in order to run Avid software?

Hi Brain....

Not true...  are you aware that 10.6.8 actually has more probems than 10.7.  Not only are there issue with Mojo DX and Nitris DX with kernel panics but AJA and NVIDIA and other companies have issues too.  Apple released an update a week or so ago as well as a patch to existing 10.6.8 and we are testing the full OS. 

We get developer releases from Apple and Microsoft but we ALWAYS test the final release the day it goes live to make sure that what we state is approved actually works.  In a mission critical industry - editors dont have the luxury to be down because it "kind of works". 

Support for thre new OS's is around the corner.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 8 2011 9:41 PM In reply to

• Ken Conrad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 8 2011
    • Nashville, TN
    • Posts 17
    • Points 205

why is everyone in such a hury to upgrade to a new OS? Why would you want to do something to your computer that could cause you editing system not to work? What is in Lion that you MUST have on your editing system? I have never understood this. 

ken

Macpro 12 core,dual boot, mc5.5.3, mc6 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 6 (80 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller