Latest post Mon, Jul 18 2011 7:08 PM by haukez. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 16 2011 12:06 PM

• haukez
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,545

Timecode "N/A" from Quicktime Files?!

I wanted to transcode Quicktimes with Metafuze which where AVCHD Streams (.mts) rewrapped in .mov (via ClickWarp). The Quicktimeplayer sees the Timecode - but Metafuze List in its TC Columns "Timecode N/A".

What could cause this?

Strangely the TC has a ";" before the Framescounter, instead of a ":" linke in other Quicktimes. The Material is 1080p25 shot with Sony Nex-FS100. So it should be simple 25p timcode, right?.

How else could I bring in that Material into Avid along with its TC? ALE? I know QTchange and Metafuze which could generate ALE from Quicktimes. But does that bring me any further?

Thanks in adavance for any suggestions!

• Sat, Jul 16 2011 2:14 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,996
    • Points 38,075

Re: Timecode "N/A" from Quicktime Files?!

The ";" means drop frame timecode. ":" means non drop.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Jul 18 2011 6:10 PM In reply to

But this is 25p in which case SMPTE timecode DF/NDF would not apply. Does AMA in Media Composer 5 work for you?

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

• Mon, Jul 18 2011 6:21 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,996
    • Points 38,075

Haven't tried it in MC, only Symphony. It does work there.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Jul 18 2011 7:08 PM In reply to

• haukez
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,545

Interesting. ; : Thanks.

Could have MetaFuze import  an ALE - File of my Quicktimes with it's TCs??? (so i could have generated one with Metacheater or QTChange)

Yes.- Media Composer does import these Files fine along with its TC.  And it seems after the Import to be regular ND-25p Timecode with ":" as a Seperator inside MC. With AMA and classic import also. Sadly I have to drop MetaFuze because of that TC Problem and go for the old classic import because with AMA-to-DNxHD transcoded media I could not export Reference-Quicktimes anymore wich is a real loss. QT Reference Exports are so helpful, I hope Avid won't forget more of it's core benefits. but that's another story.

BTW: Another strange observations (but maybe better for the MC Forums?):

I could have imported the original (unwrapped) .mts Files, but:

1.) the Timecode of the .mts is one Frame shiftet against those from the rewrapped .mov ! (not that big Deal, but strange)

2.) the Levels of the .mts-Import seems to be ALWAYS pushed over 16, regardless if I selected "RGB Levels 0-255" or "709 Levels 16-235" in the Import Dialog. Its seems to push the Black Level even higher than necessary resulting in a really weak looking image.

Conversion Speed AVCHD to DNxHD36, classic Import: 5 or 3,5 times Realtime /mac mini 2.2Ghz C2D or MBP 2,5Ghz C2D = I needed around 40 hours for 10 Hours of footage. when I Use these both machines.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller