Latest post Tue, Jun 7 2011 2:48 PM by Randall L. Rike. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 6 2011 8:07 PM

• Parkfun
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 28
    • Points 350

OMFI Media Files

Is there a way to identify, or better yet, view OMFI Media Files that are sitting on the Avid media drives. I have inherited an old Avid system with OMFI files going back several years. I am trying to clean up the drives to gain space. Problem is, there are old files that are currently being used, so I can't just delete everything from before a certain date. And, of course, the files are named anything from 'makes a little sense.omf' to 'jibberish.omf'. Sure would be handy to be able to have a look and/or listen to thgese little buggers. Any way to make that happen?

Mikey

Avid XpressPro 5.6.7

Windows XP 2002

HP Workstation XW8000

2.8 GHz Xenon CPU

2.0 GB RAM

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jun 6 2011 9:09 PM In reply to

Re: OMFI Media Files

If you also have Avid MediaFiles folder(s), rename them temporariiy, so all you can see are OMF's.  Then, use the Media tool to see all projects and all drives.  Sort the results by Project, etc.  Delete as needed.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Jun 6 2011 9:16 PM In reply to

In my opinion you need to get the MDV program. ( A free media organiser  from a very helpful Russian programmer)

Install it and run it. Select the drive you want to know about and scan it.  This will identify which Avid projects the media on the drive are associated with.

From there you can Move each projects media into individual folder.s I would recommend calling those folders AOMFI MediaFiles, BOMFIi MediaFiles etc.

When you have done this for all projects rename the now empty OMFI MediaFiles folder xxxOMFI MediaFiles. Delete the A from the AOMFI MediaFiles folder name, open Avid and start a new project. Open the Media tool and select all media options for just the drive you are working on.

Select all of the media found in the Media Tool and drag it into a bin.  Go through it and delete all the media you do not want. Close Avid.

Move any files left in the OMFI MediaFiles folder into the xxxOMFI MediaFiles folder.

Delete the now empty OMFI MediaFiles folder and rename the BOMFI MediaFiles to OMFI MediaFiles. Open Avid and repeat the Media Tools operation above.(make a new bin for the second projects media)

Repeat until you have done all of the individual project media folders.

• Tue, Jun 7 2011 2:44 PM In reply to

• Parkfun
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 30 2009
    • Posts 28
    • Points 350

Sounds promising. And thanks for the quick reply(s). I am going to guess that some of the projects associated with these lingering files have been deleted long ago. How would that effect this process?

I am starting to think that there might not be a way to simply view the video/audio files associated with the OMFI files...

MikeyGeeked

Avid XpressPro 5.6.7

Windows XP 2002

HP Workstation XW8000

2.8 GHz Xenon CPU

2.0 GB RAM

• Tue, Jun 7 2011 2:48 PM In reply to

"... I am going to guess that some of the projects associated with these lingering files have been deleted long ago. How would that effect this process? ..."

Their project association is contained in the files Metadata.  If the media database files are valid (and they should be), then the files will be seen by Media Tools,

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller