Latest post Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:44 PM by pianoman72. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 25 2011 4:42 PM

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 9 2006
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 521
    • Points 5,980

Oh no, can't boot....

Anyone seen this craziness before?  Filesharing/screensharing still works but I can't do anything else.

I haven't installed any programs or made any changes to the system lately.

This is what I am working with:

Media Composer 8.3.1, OSX 10.9.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 25 2011 5:40 PM In reply to

Re: Oh no, can't boot....

Any chance of some more info?

Starting up from cold when does it not apprear as before?

Do you normally logon as a user and do you still get that?

Was there anything unusual in the last session? Some changes can happen but not take effect until the next re-boot. Maybe a background OS update?

My normal advcie for a busted OS would be to Boot in USB host mode and connect to another Mac so you can suck off the drive any important data.

Then boot from you OS drive and start the repairs from there. Try drive and permission repairs first but failing that you may ahve to do an OS re-install.

Always good to keep a clone of your boot drive for just such a problem.....

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, Feb 25 2011 9:25 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 521
    • Points 5,980

You know how you can hold down option and select a different boot device?  I get the wavy lines there, too, but I can select the HD and continue.  I have OSX 10.5 shared as a NetBoot but of course it all the sudden can't find it.  All the other macs at my office can.

I'm trying new video cards - but I don't have one that is the correct vintage circa july 2007.

• Fri, Feb 25 2011 10:32 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Try booting from another source (Firewire backup, DVD restore disk, etc.) and see if you get different results to help determine if the problem is software or hardware related.  If you get the same result from another boot source, it may be the display card.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Fri, Feb 25 2011 11:14 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 521
    • Points 5,980

I think it was the video card.  I borrowed an ATI Raedon x1900 and, even though the card doesn't have enough power, I can boot again.  Great, the power cable is almost $20.

I can't test MC yet without the power cable, but any opinions on whether or not MC will be compatible?

• Sat, Feb 26 2011 12:14 AM In reply to

• Avid Runner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 26 2011
    • Los Angeles, CA, US
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

We had a similar issue with a Mac Pro dual 2.66 GHz dual-core Xeon system. I traced it to a faulty NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT. The system was still covered by AppleCare, so they replaced the NVIDIA card. The 7300 GT is the only supported video card for that system, so the ATI is a crapshoot.

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 4:44 PM In reply to

• pianoman72
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Dallas, TX
    • Posts 521
    • Points 5,980

Thanks, Avid Runner.

It's nice to know that someone else has experienced the same thing and it was only the video card.

Of course I am the one that is out of warranty!

I'm going to try and use the Radeon and see what happens. It sure is a massive video card.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller