Latest post Tue, Mar 1 2011 2:09 PM by BobbyMurcerFan. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 5:32 PM

• erik1185
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • USA
    • Posts 1,063
    • Points 13,200

New Final Cut Pro Rumor

Late 2013 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, Intel Iris 1536 MB Graphics [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 5:49 PM In reply to

• DShulkin
    • Not Ranked
    • Michigan
    • Posts 174
    • Points 2,235

Re: New Final Cut Pro Rumor

Can't wait.  I check every once in a while on the NAB exhibitor list to see if they are coming yet - not yet.  This would be a great splash for Apple and could certainly raise the bar for everyone.  Looking forward to NAB!

Nitris DX/MC 6.x-MacPro 8c, 12GB RAM, 6TB of internal RAID 0 storage. Adrenaline MC 5.x - MacPro 8c, 6GB RAM, 6TB of internal RAID 0 storage. EditShare... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 23 2011 6:09 PM In reply to

• Eric Mueller
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 1 2010
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 82
    • Points 950

http://www.larryjordan.biz/app_bin/wordpress/archives/1365

This is the most credible news so far, and I respect Larry Jordan's opinion more than most other high profile FCP users.  If this pans out, Avid won't have to worry so much about all the pesky independent editors and small shops clogging their forum with naysaying.  Then they can REALLY focus on their enterprise customers!  ;-O

Seriously though, Avid should consider figuring out a way around their "legal limitations" and share a roadmap with their user base.  By the time MC6(4bit) arrives, many may already be gone.  I know I'll be getting 5.5 just so I can swap out my Mojo DX with the AJA box.  Okay, maybe I'll wait for 5.5.1.7...

MC 6.0.3, Mojo DX, Mac OS 10.8.2, dual-Quad 2.26ghz (early 2009), NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, 24GB RAM, internal 3TB RAID 0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 26 2011 12:41 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,260
    • Points 30,670

Eric Mueller:
    Seriously though, Avid should consider figuring out a way around their "legal limitations" and share a roadmap with their user base.

Interesting the way Apple does it.  Jobs sends a short response e-mail months ago.  Then we get these two items now....and the buzz is ratcheted up.  No official word, no ads, no press releases and (as if Apple needed to worry) no cash out of pocket.  It's the brand, not the particular product.  The Apple buzz generator is not done so much by the company, but by its customers and user base.  Incredible.

Of course the product has to follow up on the brand promise, and so far Apple leads in that too.

Eric Mueller:
    If this pans out, Avid won't have to worry so much about all the pesky independent editors and small shops clogging their forum with naysaying.

I think this is where we are at right now.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 5:49 AM In reply to

• Eric Mueller
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 1 2010
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 82
    • Points 950

This is an interesting read on the presumed move away from Quicktime in FCP8 (and presumably the next MC Mac as well).

http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2011/02/what-is-apple-doing-with-quicktime/

MC 6.0.3, Mojo DX, Mac OS 10.8.2, dual-Quad 2.26ghz (early 2009), NVIDIA GeForce GT 120, 24GB RAM, internal 3TB RAID 0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 6:14 AM In reply to

And the Oscar for "Best Editing" goes to ..... "The Social Network", cut using Apple Final Cut Pro 7, Adobe’s After Effects CS5 and Premiere Pro CS5.

http://www.postmagazine.com/Publications/Post-Magazine/2010/October-1-2010/The-Social-Network.aspx

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 6:42 AM In reply to

Come on Randy, you know that Red, FCP and CS5 aren't for real professionals. ...Or so has been the popular wisdom that's served Avid so well.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 12:01 PM In reply to

• switthaus
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Cobbs Creek, VA
    • Posts 2,260
    • Points 30,670

BobbyMurcerFan:

Come on Randy, you know that Red, FCP and CS5 aren't for real professionals. ...Or so has been the popular wisdom that's served Avid so well.

Interesting thread on the Avid-L about this.  I am in the "who cares" camp on marketing this way.  Good editors on good tools (MC, FCP, CS5) can do good things.  The fact that this film was cut on FCP makes not one bit of difference to me on my next 30 second spot (which will probably be cut on FCP just for the fact is it's tough to find a MC suite to 4-wall these days).  And no, there is no client cache by saying "this is an Oscar Winning software"...Avid needs/needed to learn this lesson too.  There is a big, lucrative world out there besides Hollywood.  MHO.

Scott Witthaus

Owner/Editor/Post Production Supervisor 1708 Editorial

http://vimeopro.com/1708editorial/1708-editorial

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 2:09 PM In reply to

The thing is, Hollywood would not argue with this point either. Look at the posts by people like Terry Curren and Michael Forrest (hope I'm not putting words in their mouths, LOL). They mention FCP and Adobe as real threats, the Red as a real camera and the need for better finishing tools in Avid.

FCP is alive and well in Hollywood. Just go to an LA FCP usergroup meeting. They are fully attended and even require a "donation" at the door.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller