Latest post Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:27 PM by abramkat. 633 replies.
Page 14 of 43 (634 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 25 2011 5:57 AM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 8 2005
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

Re: MC5 Interface Settings Referendum - PLEASE PARTICIPATE!

Larry Rubin:

Joe M:

Drag and drop of effects into a clip should be just that (nested or not)... no need for "alt" to drag and drop an effect into a sequence.  Another example of why some say AVID takes 2 keystrokes to achieve what other NLE's do with a single drag and drop.

drbgaijin:

And if it takes 5 keystrokes to do in MC what could be done by 2 keystokes in Liquid......... life may be short,... but a few miliseconds here or there are not very much really...Please don't try to blame MC for the problems you seem to be having adjusting.

You can pretty much say that about all the complaints regarding MC5 UI! Smart tool messed your edit up? Well it only takes 3 key strokes to hit control+z to undo and click of a mouse to turn it off again. Don't like how you cant change the bins color to your liking? Tough get use to it! Can't really read the text in MC5 because of the background? Get better glasses or laser eye surgery! So Avid do not a change a thing keep MC5 UI the way it is! I mean its only a millisecond of our lives that people are wasting here! Liquid users complain about how MC5 and its petty but a whole different story when original MC users complain about MC5!

Also Douglas it takes more than a millisecond to create a freeze frame in MC5 compared to Liquid! I timed it and it was probably 5 second! Plust an additional 4 clicks! That would add up in the long run plus contributing to carpel tunnel!Big Smile

Windows 7 System- MSI 880 mobo, AMD 1055t X6, 4gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 Hackintosh System- Gigabyte h55 mobo, i5 760, 4 gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 25 2011 7:09 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,902
    • Points 259,810
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

jiggyjay:
    Also Douglas it takes more than a millisecond to create a freeze frame in MC5 compared to Liquid! I timed it and it was probably 5 second! Plust an additional 4 clicks!

I am sure it does JJ.

But I didn't say anything about a freeze frame, I just said that the difference between  5 keystoke clicks and 2 is measured in milliseconds.

Now I would like topoint out what Larry has said a couple of times in this thread already.

Larry would like to hear about the pluses and minuses with MC.

I have  gone OT a bit here myself - Sorry for that Larry.

If JJ and Joe M want to go deeper into some discussion about Liquid and MC I suggest they meet me over in the MC for Liquid users forum!

I will start a thread there for that topic.
    It should be appearing shortly, under the title of "Liquid and Drag & Drop"

Please leave this thread free for people to post about MC. Show some respect for Larry's wishes.

Regards,
    Douglas

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 25 2011 7:54 AM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

drbgaijin:

I have  gone OT a bit here myself - Sorry for that Larry.

If JJ and Joe M want to go deeper into some discussion about Liquid and MC I suggest they meet me over in the MC for Liquid users forum!

I will start a thread there for that topic.
    It should be appearing shortly, under the title of "Liquid and Drag & Drop"

Please leave this thread free for people to post about MC. Show some respect for Larry's wishes.

No need since thers been plenty of threads about it specially during the beginning of the "upgrade" period.. I just think its funny when Liquid users complain about MC5 you guys tell them to adapt to the new software but here you guys are complaining and even urging other users to voice their complaints about MC5.. Kinda hypocritical if you ask me! All these complaints i'm hearing from MC4 users are just like the complaints I hear from Liquid users.. So why not just tell them to adapt to MC5 as well instead of urging Avid to change it?

"life may be short,... but a few miliseconds here or there are not very much really...Please don't try to blame MC for the problems you seem to be having adjusting."

You can say that as an answer regarding all the user interface complaints that was made in this thread..

Windows 7 System- MSI 880 mobo, AMD 1055t X6, 4gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 Hackintosh System- Gigabyte h55 mobo, i5 760, 4 gb ram, Nvidia GT 240 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 25 2011 8:52 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

Some people complaining here, including myself, have been using Avid for some twenty years, changing the way the CTRL key and the timeline work is not a clever decision, especially considering that the old Avid users are keeping the company alive, as there are not that many new customers, except for the Liquid migrants Big Smile I do not mean that there are class a and class b customers, and I'm not a conservative kind of person, in fact if I was moving to another NLE, like You did, I would adapt to the different UI without complaints, but as I'm loyal to my editor of choice I do not see why I should learn it again, especially because the new interface is not an improvement over the old one, it's just an unsuccessful attempt to attract FCP users.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 9:24 AM In reply to

• lunelson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 6 2009
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 233
    • Points 3,130

jiggyjay:
    All these complaints i'm hearing from MC4 users are just like the complaints I hear from Liquid users.. So why not just tell them to adapt to MC5 as well instead of urging Avid to change it?

There's a difference between switching and upgrading. MC users are pissed off because MC5 is basically MC4 with the addition of a lot of unnecessary and interfering changes that nobody asked for, and none of the ones they did ask for.

If you are changing to MC from another platform, it implies you have a will to do so, and so it could be argued that you are "asking" for a change. So complaints from FCP- or Premiere- or Liquid-users about MC is less tolerated, or at least it is not quite the point of this thread. This is about what did Avid screw up in going from MC4 to MC5, not really about what MC may or may not lack in general, compared to other platforms.

MacPro Quad2.66, ATI 3870, MC 4.0.5.13, OS 10.6.5, QT 7.6.6, 8GB RAM, 2.7TB Highpoint RAID5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 25 2011 9:59 AM In reply to

• jiggyjay
    • Not Ranked
    • UT
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,780

luca.mg:

Some people complaining here, including myself, have been using Avid for some twenty years, changing the way the CTRL key and the timeline work is not a clever decision, especially considering that the old Avid users are keeping the company alive, as there are not that many new customers, except for the Liquid migrants Big Smile I do not mean that there are class a and class b customers, and I'm not a conservative kind of person, in fact if I was moving to another NLE, like You did, I would adapt to the different UI without complaints, but as I'm loyal to my editor of choice I do not see why I should learn it again, especially because the new interface is not an improvement over the old one, it's just an unsuccessful attempt to attract FCP users.

But you did move a new NLE(MC4 to MC5) and you are complaining! Haha jk!Big Smile I'm just saying many of the Liquid users complaints of MC if implemented will make MC better and make editors faster!

lunelson:

If you are changing to MC from another platform, it implies you have a will to do so, and so it could be argued that you are "asking" for a change. So complaints from FCP- or Premiere- or Liquid-users about MC is less tolerated, or at least it is not quite the point of this thread. This is about what did Avid screw up in going from MC4 to MC5, not really about what MC may or may not lack in general, compared to other platforms.

I do undestand that there is a big difference between switching to new NLE and upgrading to new version.. I do also understand that this thread is more towards the difference between MC4 vs MC5 but in general any of what me and Joe has suggested would greatly improve MC and isn't that what its all about? Being able to edit faster and easier with MC will make most editors happy and maybe bring back their customer base! I'll leave it at that since I dont want this thread to go off track even more..

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 10:29 AM In reply to

• lunelson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 6 2009
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 233
    • Points 3,130

jiggyjay:
    But you did move a new NLE(MC4 to MC5)

Oh well jiggy, this is a semantic issue then isn't it? The MC editors are upset precisely because they don't see why MC5 should be a whole new editor that foresakes their way of working. If MC5 is a new NLE vis a vis MC4 then we have reason to mourn it because it means MC is EOL

MacPro Quad2.66, ATI 3870, MC 4.0.5.13, OS 10.6.5, QT 7.6.6, 8GB RAM, 2.7TB Highpoint RAID5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 25 2011 12:42 PM In reply to

lunelson:

There's a difference between switching and upgrading. MC users are pissed off because MC5 is basically MC4 with the addition of a lot of unnecessary and interfering changes that nobody asked for, and none of the ones they did ask for.

Lu, that is spot on target. Newcomers to MC 5 are completely unfamiliar with MC 4 and as such are totally unaware of how those "unnecessary and interfering changes" instituted between MC 4 and MC 5 have negatively affected our established workflows that have existed for decades and added serious confusion and chaos to the process, especially in the early days following June 10th.

I will say it again: this thread is NOT about comparing and criticizing Media Composer capabilities as they exist to similar functions in Liquid, FPC, Sony Vegas or any other NLE software. That is NOT the focus of this thread. It IS about what we like and dislike about the changes between MC 4 and MC 5 and Avid's response (or lack thereof) to the feedback regarding those changes. Please stay on that topic. If you cannot, then please either start another thread or participate in other threads that already exist comparing and contrasting MC to other NLE applications.

Thank you for your cooperation. And thank you very much for your input, Lu. Yes

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:12 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Dallas TX
    • Posts 2,216
    • Points 23,845

larry I know I said i would butt out but  really what is the difference with liquid users not liking the changes  and mc users not liking the changes ...   liquid users were forced into mc as an upgrade just as we were .and they dont like it either though they seem to dislike different parts.. I came from  a big diverse family and we all had different likes and dislikes  yet together we made a good family .. it seems to me that mom and dad  avid needs to do something to make all the kids happy before they leave  Big Smile

note to douglas ::my daughter sent me a scarf from the homeland with our hunting tartan way cool I mean warm

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:17 PM In reply to

As I've said before in other threads, the key to making a successful migration from one editing application to another is to maintain an open mind and be willing to learn a different way of doing things than you may be used to. When I was learning FCP, I very quickly realized that I became far more proficient and productive when I stopped trying to force FCP to behave like the Avid methods I was used to and embraced the FCP methodology. Again, an open mind and a willingness to learn is the key factor.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 2:59 PM In reply to

• evansmalley
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Kansas City, MO (USA)
    • Posts 500
    • Points 6,400

Hey Larry!

Well it's nice to see this thread SETTLE DOWN! Sure we all LOVE learning a new way-of-editing... old dogs... LOVE new piles of owner's manuals for the SAME app!

But all JOKING aside, I think what you and everyone else has been saying here- isn't about not being willing to learn new methods, just not wanting to be subverted by inferior and incorrectly functioning new methods! Paying for an "upgrade" that is pretty buggy and REMOVES important functionality- we weren't buying THAT.

And I think it's natural that the whole "responsiveness of Avid" has come up, again. It's been an issue for a long time... Pal 720p, anyone?!

It would sure be great for everyone if Avid starts listening and just creates the world's greatest editing platform, period! v5.5.

Avid Media Composer 5.0.4, Windows7 Pro 64 bit sp1, i7-960 Intel processor, 8 gig DDR3 RAM, SSD 64gig boot drive, Samsung F3 1TB D drive, nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 25 2011 3:12 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,216
    • Points 23,845

evan speaks the word all hail evan all hail 5.5  I dont mind learning new stuff my wife constantly reminds my of another way to do almost everything

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

WWLD

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 3:18 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Posts 2,216
    • Points 23,845

and avid if you are listening if you would merge protools into mc 5.5 as the audio side of the app that would be a great way of making up to us Smile

Tom Pearson

WWLD

• Tue, Jan 25 2011 3:34 PM In reply to

• Kevin Sio
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Posts 358
    • Points 4,590

Now that's a great idea!  I have never been happy with sweetening audio with MC and full blown Pro Tools is way too complicated.  I constantly go outside of the program to get the results I want.  How about a tightly integrated one or two click Pro Tools Lite.  a little EQ here, a little compression there...done!

Kevin

HP-xw8600-Media Composer 4.0.2-G-Tech G Speed Pro XLT [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 25 2011 3:42 PM In reply to

Good idea on a ProTools plug-in. I'll gladly add my support to that one.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 14 of 43 (634 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller