Latest post Mon, Apr 2 2012 8:27 PM by abramkat. 633 replies.
Page 1 of 43 (634 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 15 2011 7:10 PM

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 390
    • Points 5,700

MC5 Interface Settings Referendum - PLEASE PARTICIPATE!

Moderator's Note:

Since this thread was originally started, it has evolved somewhat into a referendum on the changes made to the interface. So therefore, by request, I have changed the subject title to reflect that and to encourage others who have yet to weigh in to participate. The topic is what you like and don't like about the changes from MC 4 to MC 5 and Avid's response (or lack thereof) to the feedback offered. Please stay on topic.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Larry Rubin, Forum Moderator

So with MC5 now it seems I can't set a default bin background color anymore (I loathe the default grey bin bg)?  Or change my button styles?

Am I missing something here?

freelance, I work on a lot of systems [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 15 2011 7:33 PM In reply to

Re: MC5 interface settings gone?

You can change bin background colors, but you now have to first make sure no item in the bin is selected, and then with the bin highlighted, go to the edit menu and choose "set bin background". Also, you can bypass the horrible new washed out color palette by pressing and holding down the ALT key when going to the edit menu, get to the palette, then with the ALT key held down, release the mouse and you will get the standard color picker. And unfortunately, you cannot set your chosen color as a default for all bins, you must do it one bin at a time.

These so called "interface improvements" made by the design team are to most of us a painful thorn in the side and a slap in the face. Many complaints have been lodged about the dumbing down of the interface choices. In fact, there has not been one single post by Forum users supporting this change. Whether or not the original interface options get restored will be a measure to us of just how serious Avid is about "we're listening to you". Personally, I don't have much confidence in the design team's willingness to make these changes, as the attitudes about this particular issue have demonstrated. Instead of taking our feedback on the interface settings to heart, they are stubbornly digging in their defensive heels, trying to justify the unjustifiable. And I'm sure the one particular individual on the design team who's most responsible for the defiant and patronizing attitude I'm referring to, knows who I'm talking about.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jan 15 2011 8:48 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

Larry, this justify the unjustifiable attitude applies to the smart tool and the CTRL key changes too I guess, don't know who You refer to, but to me the head of development, whoever he/she is, is responsible for the involution, and releasing 3 revisions of the software and several patches without addressing these issues, in other words not listening and pretending that the software is OK as it is, is a whitewash attempt.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, Jan 15 2011 9:59 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,760

Larry Rubin:
    And I'm sure the one particular individual on the design team who's most responsible for the defiant and patronizing attitude I'm referring to, knows who I'm talking about.

WOW! If that doesn't get them listening, nothing will!

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Sat, Jan 15 2011 10:41 PM In reply to

Brickwad:
    But it also has the potential to make the "I know best" personalities to just dig their toes in deeper. Wink

• Sat, Jan 15 2011 10:46 PM In reply to

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 390
    • Points 5,700

All I know is, I find black text on dark grey incredibly hard on my eyes.  Now, instead of being able to make all new bins appear white with one setting, i have to manually change every bin background to white, one at a time, every single time I create a bin.  Forever.

This sucks, Avid.  With a capital S.

freelance, I work on a lot of systems [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 15 2011 11:15 PM In reply to

• VE7AXO
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 8 2005
    • North Vancouver, BC, Canada
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,605

AndrewAction:

Brickwad:
    But it also has the potential to make the "I know best" personalities to just dig their toes in deeper. Wink

This discussion is similar to words heard on the Pinnacle Studio Forum with regard to changes, patches and new "features" in the newest version of that program as well.

I wonder if there is a common development "culture" within the Avid organization?

Media Composer 6.5 (software) Mobo: ASUS P9X79 PRO, CPU: Intel i7-3930K (six core), Memory: 32 GB DDR3, Graphics: nVIDIA Quadro 2000D with 1 GB GDDR5... [view my complete system specs]

Igor

• Sat, Jan 15 2011 11:37 PM In reply to

• Guy Malou
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Sep 26 2008
    • Posts 172
    • Points 2,230

Funny "design team". Black letters on a grey background. I only use text view, as most editors do.

This is really not acceptable.

MC 8.8.4 | Symphony Option / HP Z420 / WIN 7 PRO 64-bit SP1 / certified NVidia driver + QT version [view my complete system specs]

·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸
      ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸

• Sat, Jan 15 2011 11:47 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,445
    • Points 55,235

I've experienced an instance where the -.7 patch broke MC. I attempted to execute the prior 7 patch, when it asked for the .msi files, so I backed out of the patch install last week. Today, clicking the MC icon on the desktop re-activated the patch install rather than opening the program. So  it would seem that the aborted patch wrote over the MC desktop icons. All of them.

I was able to drill down into the MC program folder, and find uncorrupted Start icon, enough to start MC and deactivate the licence to begin a complete uninstall/reinstall.

I find my confidence weakening in the legendary Avid reputation for building world class solutions.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, GTX 3060Ti, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA render, 8TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 23.12. Win 22H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 20/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Jan 16 2011 12:34 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,906
    • Points 259,850
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Larry Rubin:
    Whether or not the original interface options get restored will be a measure to us of just how serious Avid is about "we're listening to you".

Since the release/escape of MC 5 a growing number of professional editors have added their voices in condemnation of various aspects of MC5. I stress "growing number". Every week there are still new voices being added. Why are they coming in so late? I am sure that they did not rush to upgrade. They wait until they have a window in their schedule and until bugs have been ironed out.

Most voices have been raised about the imposition of the Smart Tool on all users (no choice to completely switch it off if desired) and many others about the UI and the choices which were removed (e.g. the colour picker for bin backgrounds -  well you can still do that if you read about the use of the ALT key when trying to find the colour picker - but you can't find that information in the manual for MC...... you have to read it on the forums) also the changes in CTRL and ALT key behaviours.

On the support for the changes side, as Larry says, there have really been NO clear voices in support of them.

There was a small group of posts that appeared over a 48 hour period where some people said that they were becoming accustomed to the changes. But that, seemingly well co-ordinated,  "support" group faded out shortly after. The voices of dismay, anger and disappointment have continued..... and are still continuing.

In a valiant attempt to explain the situation and pacify the masses Geoff Hollywood wrote on the Forum,
    "The Media Composer interface is a work in progress and everyone at Avid realizes we need to update it. Right now it may feel like we've taken a step backwards with the changes made to the interface and ability to customize colors and shapes of buttons etc. However, these changes were made with the "bigger picture" changes down the road in mind. Avid realizes that some folks would be disappointed in the intermediate step but there is a method to the madness that I think will pay off in the end. (Which of course we can't comment on here.) ;)"

My comments to specific parts of Geoff's reply would be:

The Media Composer interface is a work in progress - Why release a work in progress? A work in progress is just that. When the job is ready... then release it!

Right now it may feel like we've taken a step backwards with the changes made to the interface and ability to customize colors and shapes of buttons etc. However, these changes were made with the "bigger picture" changes down the road in mind. - again, why release something that will make your user base think that Avid has taken a step backward? Why not wait until the bigger picture is in view and ready?

Avid realizes that some folks would be disappointed in the intermediate step - Well, I hope that Avid has seen the continuing reaction coming from a lot of very important customers - not just "some folks".

there is a method to the madness - I like that word "madness" Yes

Now I am not actually criticising Geoff as a person. I am sure he was doing his best to pacify the masses, and I appreciate that. But the reasons just do not hold water in my eyes.

I am still holding out and hoping that Avid (especially the people at Avid who are responsible for the present situation) can be big enough (man enough) to admit there has been a misunderstanding of what the users want and need and that they can address the problem in a way that will keep the majority of their important cutomers happy.
    e.g. on the Smart Tool issue, as Larry has said again and again - Give the users a choice of completely disabling (even removing) the Smart Tool if they so wish.

There is no way you can "patch" your way out of this. A step back is needed first.... then start over....

Regards,

Douglas

PS. If I could take off my Moderator badge for this post I would do so. I am writing this as a general user of MC who is very concerned about what is happening with my NLE of choice, not as a moderator.

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 16 2011 3:22 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,460
    • Points 98,575

drbgaijin:
    If I could take off my Moderator badge for this post I would do so. I am writing this as a general user of MC who is very concerned about what is happening with my NLE of choice, not as a moderator.
    Douglas, I'm glad that for this post you couldn't take off your moderator's badge, just as I'm glad that Larry didn't either.  The thing about this thread and the others of this nature is that it expresses loudly and clearly what Avid's existing customer base feels about the GUI changes.

Unfortunately Avid seems to see a potential market as being more important to them than their existing one.  I trust that I'm wrong, but from this side of the customer/supplier relationship, that's the way it seems.

Meantime, I'm continuing to alpha test Lightworks.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 16 2011 3:30 AM In reply to

jwrl:
    Unfortunately Avid seems to see a potential market as being more important to them than their existing one.

I've been told by friends of mine, both editors and others who work there, that these same frustrations have resulted in Washington CBS affiliate WUSA TV9 actively exploring other newsroom editing system alternatives to Avid. And that certainly does not bode well for Avid's claim of "we're listening to you". Not at all.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jan 16 2011 4:14 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,445
    • Points 55,235

With the current sentiments, I do not know how many checkbooks will be readily open for MC6...

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, GTX 3060Ti, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA render, 8TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 23.12. Win 22H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 20/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 1:52 AM In reply to

• Saylur
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Laguna Woods CA
    • Posts 485
    • Points 6,120

The peolple left are probably looking for new " JOBS" Idea

MC-6.0.5,MB Asus Z87 Expert 1150 ATX,Intel Core i7 4770 3.4 Ghz CPU,32GB Kingston DDR3 Mem.,Samsung 840 250GB SSD,Win 7 Pro SP 1, QT 7.7.3,PNY Quadro K2000... [view my complete system specs]

Regards

Mike

• Mon, Jan 17 2011 3:38 AM In reply to

these changes were made with the "bigger picture" changes down the road in mind

My fear now is that this "bigger picture" might not actually be better.  Or the bigger picture being spoken of, is the complete gutting and renovation of MC as we know it.  Like going back to your favorite old diner and discovering that it's now an upscale bistro - or worse... a Starbuck's. 

The worst part of the new color chooser is that the "ALT/Option" trick only works on the Bin Background and not on Set Clip Color.  So, I've completely abandoned using Clip Colors in my Bins now.  It really sucks.  Used to be I could quickly select a bunch of interview clips in Bin and color them all Green.  Now, I've got 15 shades of Green to choose from and so I have to be very careful to select the same shade of green each time I subclip an interview.  That's a huge time-waster, especially given that the color picker isn't even that big to start with and I have to really look at the little squares of color to make sure I'm getting the right one. 

Updating is not the same as improving.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 43 (634 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller