Latest post Sat, Nov 6 2010 4:07 PM by Pete_G. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 4 2010 2:18 PM

Will a Lacie Rugged drive work thru Firewire 400 on my HP laptop

I use a reseller-supplied Startech Expresscard to 1394 adaptor to connect my certified HP 8730w latop to an SDI Mojo. I'm now going on an extended shoot to a rural area in South-Africa where I'll need bus-powered storage as we'll be doing field editing by powering the laptop from a vehicle. As we'll be shooting 1080i P2, I'd prefer not to use USB, although that miraculously worked with a dual USB cable connection when I tried it with a short 10min sequence in green/green mode!

I'm looking at a 1TB Lacie Rugged drive >> http://www.lacie.com/intl/products/product.htm?pid=11030. If I connect this via the Firewire 400 cable and the Startech expresscard adaptor to my laptop, will it work? The laptop's only onboard 1394 connection is the small firewire connector, and I doubt that it's powered for an external drive.

Any ideas? I'd hate to buy the drive just to find out that I can only use the USB connection.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 5 2010 11:30 AM In reply to

Re: Will a Lacie Rugged drive work thru Firewire 400 on my HP laptop

Hi,

I don't know about that specific configuration, but I can tell you I was able to connect a firewire drive to my HP laptop through an expresscard adaptor.  I was doing this so I could connect a camera through the built in firewire at the same time, so it's not the exact same situation, but Media Composer didn't have any difficulties recognizing the drive through the adaptor.

Hope that helps.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Nov 5 2010 11:58 AM In reply to

• magus
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Berlin
    • Posts 368
    • Points 4,475

Hi

if you are using tapeless ackuisition, I would highly recommend to go for a safe-stripe solution. I used one of Lacies Big Quadra with a 12V out of the shelf stabilized car adapter. These drives accept 12V input. And on top, you get a faster connection (for HD) if you buy a drive with eSATA.

grz

m

MCA 8.3 _ Asus P9X79, i7-3930k@3,2GHz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX570, Antech P280, W7 64bit,Matrox MXO2, internal MediaDrive 4TB@Raid10, Drobo S, LaCieBigQuadra [view my complete system specs]

Cameras don't lie yet liars may use cameras

• Fri, Nov 5 2010 10:49 PM In reply to

magus:
    And on top, you get a faster connection (for HD) if you buy a drive with eSATA.

I agree with Magnus about eSATA.  I'm using a 2TB Lacie Quadra with eSata and it works great!   I'm pretty sure your 8730 has an eSata port.    Regardless of what brand of hard drive you decide on, definately go with eSATA over FW 400.  

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sat, Nov 6 2010 5:34 AM In reply to

Thanks for the replies. I am indeed using eSata for HD editing.

My question about Firewire 400 is for a purely battery-powered situation, in other words where the laptop itself has to power the devices connected to it. In the field I won't have the facilities to externally power a firewire drive. Dual USB works, I was just wondering about Firewire 400.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 6 2010 2:27 PM In reply to

• Pete_G
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 7 2010
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,045

The 4 pin FW port on the 8730w definitely will not supply power to the drive. I imagine the Startech card, if it has 6 pin connectors would though I can't be sure of this. Surely USB would give you the same bandwidth as FW, it would just add a small load to system resources, but the 8730w would have enough horsepower to cope I would have thought.

HP Z800,6 Core Xeon, nVidia Quadro FX3800, 12GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64, MC7.0.3 / HP 8730W Laptop,T9600 Core 2 Duo, nVidia Quadro FX2700M, 8Gb RAM, Win... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Nov 6 2010 3:03 PM In reply to

"... Surely USB would give you the same bandwidth as FW ..."

Actually, no, it won't.  Different desgns, different performance.  From the Wiki:

"... These and other differences reflect the differing design goals of the two buses: USB was designed for  simplicity and low cost, while FireWire was designed for high performance, particularly in time-sensitive applications such as audio and video. Although similar in theoretical maximum transfer rate, FireWire 400 is faster than USB 2.0 Hi-Bandwidth in real-use, especially in high-bandwidth use such as external hard-drives ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus#Transfer_speeds_in_practice

Meanwhile, if all you have is USB 2.0, e.g. on a laptop, then it "can" provide adequate bandwidth for offline editing.

.... for the last three HP Elitebooks we bought, we also got Dynex Express Cards w/FW.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sat, Nov 6 2010 4:07 PM In reply to

• Pete_G
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 7 2010
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,045

My mistake. Although I will say that I've used a USB2 external drive with my 8730w with great success, even using AMA 720p P2 files. Haven't really tried it with 1080p though. I've also had real problems using eSata with this laptop; total corruption of media folders due to bad writes. I suspect a bad eSata chip on the laptop or drive but until I can narrow it down, I stay well clear of this method of connecting drives. Roll on USB3.

HP Z800,6 Core Xeon, nVidia Quadro FX3800, 12GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64, MC7.0.3 / HP 8730W Laptop,T9600 Core 2 Duo, nVidia Quadro FX2700M, 8Gb RAM, Win... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller