Latest post Mon, Sep 6 2010 5:53 AM by Scott-J. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 4 2010 12:38 AM

• Scott-J
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 11 2010
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 86
    • Points 1,200

fast news - work flow

My TV station is updating field news gathering equipment to HD.  (cameras and laptop computers)  And I'm thrilled that we are going with Avid.  The engineer folks wanted to go with Grass Valley and Edius.....

Cam - Sony PDW700 XDCAM   NLE - Avid MC 5 or Newscutter.   Field Laptop model - unknown

My question, what is a good and fast work flow with XDCams and Avid? 

In general, edited news stories are about 1:30 with about 20- 40 minutes of raw footage.  What is the best way to capture or import HD footage into MC?  Is it AMA , Proxies, or should we import the full HD file into the bins?  We would then push the edited story to Avid interplay for playout.  I've been using SX tape forever, so any help with XDCam and Avid in greatly appreciated. 

MC 5.0.3 / Intel i7 CPU / 4GB ram / Quadro FX 1700 / Mojo non SDI / Windows 7 Ultimate/ QT 7.6.6 / Windows Media Player 11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 4 2010 1:49 AM In reply to

Re: fast news - work flow

After SX XDCam HD  will be fun and much quicker.

For me 45 minutes of Proxies import in less than 2 minutes.

Using the Sony software the cameraperson  or Journalist can make selects from the proxies on the laptop and FTP them to you letting you start editing much earlier.  AMA back to the original disk when it arrives gives you a very quick upres. (do not use interplay so someone else may add what benefits that will bring to the workflow)

Bob Russo has posted a couple of informative XDCam workflow videos

• Sat, Sep 4 2010 3:20 AM In reply to

The problem I see here as a user of both Interplay and Unity/ISIS, AMA has the handicap of not being able to share footage across multiple platforms. Any footage brought into a platform with AMA will have to be consolidated into the database before it would be available to other workstations on the Unity network. We do standard imports of files at hi-rez and edit for push to airspeed. We have a couple of ingest stations to load source video into the system, in addition to ingesting at the edit stations themselves.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Sep 4 2010 3:51 PM In reply to

• Scott-J
    • Not Ranked
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 86
    • Points 1,200

We will have ingest stations as well in-house.  Is the capture tool used for XDCam, or do you import the files?  Is it real time or faster??  I believe our files will be HD mpeg50.  Good info about the AMA, the in-house stuff needs to be shared.

From the field, the camera is used to ingest into laptops.  I like the Proxies import, but I don't understand how to play the final sequence.  How does Avid match the proxie to the orignal file, and does the camera need to be pluged into the laptop for playout?

MC 5.0.3 / Intel i7 CPU / 4GB ram / Quadro FX 1700 / Mojo non SDI / Windows 7 Ultimate/ QT 7.6.6 / Windows Media Player 11 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 4 2010 4:58 PM In reply to

We also work at MPEG 50 for push to airspeed purposes. We do straight, standard imports of XDCAM at hi-rez only. The process is approximately 4 times real time. We simply do not have enough turn around time between edit and air to work with proxy files. But when you do work with proxies, you would use the batch importing process to convert a proxy driven sequence to a hi-rez sequence. The options for configuring your XDCAM import process are defined by the options under the "XDCAM" tab in the options section of the import tool. You must first disable AMA in order to use the normal import process, because you must assign a disk label when doing standard imports, which AMA does not allow. You must quit and re-launch the application for the change to AMA status to take place. AMA status is changed in your user settings profile.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Sep 4 2010 5:43 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

I import the proxies, edit and then batch import the hi res files.  Even for down and dirty edits the turnaround time is very fast.  

Scott-J:
    How does Avid match the proxie to the orignal file

It just does it, it has to do with the Sony's metadata tagging, etc.  But don't get caught up in the details.  Edit the proxy & batch import.  Avid knows when and how to import the hi res files.

Scott-J:
    does the camera need to be pluged into the laptop for playout?

You should have a PDW-U1 drive for importing, they're cheap compared to decks.  I know you can use the camera for importing, however it seems like overkill.  The worlds most expensive disk drive.

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 4 2010 11:52 PM In reply to

• Scott-J
    • Not Ranked
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 86
    • Points 1,200

Is batch import the same as consolidate?  To push to interplay using proxies, do I need to consolidate first?  If so, how long does that take?  (1:30 sequence)

From the field, we will not have the luxury of a playback deck, just a firewire connection to the camera. 

• Sun, Sep 5 2010 12:22 AM In reply to

No, consolidate and batch import are two different things. Consolidating makes duplicate sets of media files and pointer clips but does not change resolution. When batch importing, you can instruct the system to replace the existing proxy media files with hi-rez files and delete the proxies at the same time. Consolidating is often used to move clips and media to another project permanently.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Sep 5 2010 9:24 PM In reply to

• Scott-J
    • Not Ranked
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 86
    • Points 1,200

Thanks guys.  Working with XDCam, would you go with a Mac or PC laptop? 

And if I add an external hard drive to the laptop, what is best?  SATA, Firewire, USB...   And Can I plug in and use a XDCam and a external hard drive at the same time?  What about the idea of using a large USB memory stick for media storage?

• Sun, Sep 5 2010 10:16 PM In reply to

If PC in the studio then PC Laptop. If Mac in the studio Mac Laptop.

With a 17 in Mac I use eSATA for ext HD and have no problems with using the U1

Had no problems with an oldish HP laptop either but using internal drive with that one.

• Mon, Sep 6 2010 5:53 AM In reply to

• Scott-J
    • Not Ranked
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 86
    • Points 1,200

Screwing around with AMA:   source:

Digial Juice HD Quicktime   -   length :15   -   file size 700 MB

When linked to AMA, the file plays very choppy.  However, if I render the file (green dot in the sequence) the file plays great. So for XDCam, if I link XD footage to AMA should I expect to see the same sluggish playback?  How do you edit AMA footage if the source is very slow?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller