Latest post Tue, Nov 27 2018 8:55 AM by Michael from cologne. 162 replies.
Page 1 of 11 (163 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 15 2010 10:30 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,378
    • Points 233,180
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Are you having trouble with AvidDVD re-encoding DVD compliant MPG2 files?

I am starting this new thread on a topic which has popped up a little here and there on the various Community Forums.

To everyone who is having problems with re-encoding of Squeeze files.

1. Are we talking about SD only? or SD and HD?

2. Can you send me a small sample file that re-encodes when you use AvidDVD?

3. If you have a large file that re-encodes and you make a shorter clip from it, please retest the shorter clip to check if it also re-encodes, before you send it to me.

4. If there is an associated sound file, please include that as well.

5. If you are transcoding your files in e.g. Sorenson Squeeze or Canopus Procoder please send me a detailed list of the parameters that you have set.

Although Sonic support are not obliged to help me, as my contract with them is for BD Powerstation, they have promised to take a look at any files I send them and see if they can come up with some suggestions.

Without those files I cannot take this any further.

I have posted this information in another thread and so far only Mjolnarn (Tomas) has responded.

Taking into account the many people who have raised questions on this problem, I am surprised that nobody else seems to care about it enough to provide some necessary information needed to pinpoint the problem.

The next step is up to you.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 15 2010 10:44 PM In reply to

Re: Are you having trouble with AvidDVD re-encoding DVD compliant MPG2 files?

1 For me SD only.  But when it fails with SD project I dont try it with HD

2 Yes but it will be a few days

3 Of course

4 Ditto

5 Will a Screen shot do?

Problem solving this is helpful Douglas thanks  Having alternatives here that work first time everytime means this is not a priority for me as DVDit has had this sort of problem on and off since I first used version 1.

• Thu, Jul 15 2010 10:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,378
    • Points 233,180
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Thanks Andrew.

Yes, a screen shot will do, as long as I can read what parameters are involved in the encoding to your "compliant" file.

It is also interesting to notice that you have had problems ". . . . on and off . . . . . "

Any chance that the on and off occurred on different computers or set-ups?

I know that if you take a "compliant" file A.mpg and try it on computer X it will re-encode, but the same file A.mpg will run straight through on computer Y.

Regards,
    Douglas

• Thu, Jul 15 2010 11:12 PM In reply to

Sorry On and off was with different versions since the beginning of  DVDit through Reel DVD and back to DVDit.  (i.e. on P2 Pentiums through to an 8600 or Windows NT through to W7)

With working alternatives through the years I have not been patient enough to persevere with Sonics's foibles

• Thu, Jul 15 2010 11:14 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,375
    • Points 54,035

Quite true, I have taken transcodes done with tmpge Express 4 HDV 30p to DVD and they passed instantly, a month or two later work done with the same transcode setttings jump to transcoding.

Even HDV m2v fuses done in Express4 as BD compliant get transcoded, yet dropping them into AW4, no transcode happens.

I would prefer to work in DVDit rather than AW4, but am becoming adverse to wasting time.

I will try to create a very short clip to upload.

Thanks Douglas, for your interest in this matter. 

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.9. Win 20H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Fri, Jul 16 2010 10:54 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,378
    • Points 233,180
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

I am more than surprised that only Andrew, John and Tomas have shown any interest in helping to solve this problem. I am grateful that they will assist.
    All 3 of them are known to me as experienced users of AvidDVD.

However I started this request for more information due to the number of posts from relatively new migrants to MC who were naturally disappointed that they were having this re-encoding problem.

I hope that some of you will take a little time and send the information needed to get to the bottom of this problem.

Regards,

Douglas

• Sun, Jul 18 2010 9:25 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

So, here I am, on a " free " ??  Sunday, having made myself some coffee and also created a lot of sample files from different applications, prepared to go to the bottom with this issue and finally get a solution to a very old prob.

The thing is, I am not able to reproduce it any longer, my preencoded files out of Squeeze 6, latest version, runs straight through Avid Dvd, latest version, without being reencoded.

My workflow:

Send out a qt ref from Media Composer to Squeeze 6, I always use square pixels from HD projects, I still haven´t done any testings with SD projects from Media Composer, anybody else ??

In Sorenson Squeeze, use the preset under Formats - mpg - DVD ( Pal, PS ) haven´t tested the NTSC preset yet, anybody ??

Change the preset in this way:

Change the average speed to 6800, the percental defaults will automatically change the lowest and highest allowed speeds.

Also be sure to select the correct 16:9 aspect, 4:3 was defaulted in my preset.

Turn of audio encoding and use the wav file created together with the QT ref in Avid Dvd later.

My preset for SD encoding in Avid Dvd is CBR 8 mbps and DD Stereo 192, the wav file will be encoded to the Dolby preset and the videofile will not be reencoded, at least not during my 4 hours testing this morning so far.

If needed, I will add some files for downloading and test but right now I of course am very curious if others are able to use this workflow with success.

Also a great thank to Claes Nilsson, Avid Sweden, that sent me the latest bundle this last week for me to be able to do these tests.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Jul 18 2010 10:27 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,005

Hi Douglas

Well, I've been using Avid DVD again recently, after giving up on it for a couple of year because of these problems. The reason I started using it again was that I began shooting HD, and exporting HD quicktimes into Avid DVD, and making SD DVDs seems to work for me.

Anyway, given the current interest I thought I'd have another look. I've just been trying to import some old .m2v files that I found, compressed by Sorenson from the looks of the filenames. I found that some of them imported fine, others come up with the re-compressing message.

Then I found two versions of the same clip - both labelled PAL_5500 (I'm guessing 5500 is the bitrate) but slightly different file sizes. The small one imports fine, the larger one does not.

This leads me to think that perhaps Avid DVD has a low threshhold for the highest data-rate in the file - if there is a data spike too high then it asks to recompress.

I'll have to check this, but perhaps it's just a case of getting the right "highest bitrate" when doing VBR compressions? What do you guys think?

Best of all, the .m2v files that imported correctly also switched between 4x3 and 16x9 correctly. Previously if I bring in a 16x9 720x576 video clip it defaults to 4x3 and then pillarboxes instead of stretching when I change the aspect ratio.

I'll have a play later and see waht I can come up with.

cheers

Campbell

BTW, I'm on a fairly fresh install of Windows 7, just the Avid software, no Nero or any other compressing software.

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 18 2010 10:35 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

gumbycat99:

Then I found two versions of the same clip - both labelled PAL_5500 (I'm guessing 5500 is the bitrate) but slightly different file sizes. The small one imports fine, the larger one does not.

This leads me to think that perhaps Avid DVD has a low threshhold for the highest data-rate in the file - if there is a data spike too high then it asks to recompress.

I'll have to check this, but perhaps it's just a case of getting the right "highest bitrate" when doing VBR compressions? What do you guys think?

Exactly one of my points Campbell, changing the presetted speed in the way I described will give you a max speed for the file of about 8 mbps and I use the same settings for the video encoding in Avid Dvd

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:07 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,005

I just did some more short tests and managed to get 9000 as my aceptable maximum bitrate. If I set the highest bitrate to 9500 it failed every time.

Thanks for continuing to work on this guys. It looks like this is a solution for me, and hopefully others. I'll run some tests using other compression programmes and see if they work, given the upper bitrate limit.

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:16 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

One of my reasons to have the max speed of video set to 8 mbps is the reason that many customers have low performance dvd players, I have seen a lot players that aren´t able to handle 9 mbps, some of them aren´t even able to handle 8 mbps, my own worst case player in a vhs combo machine plays 7,5 mbps well and maybe some higher speed but it will not be able to handle 8 mbps of video without stuttering, the same goes for the audio, DD stereo 192 seems to be about the maximum for that player. 

So, considering that, my own preset for video VBR is 4 - 6,8 - 7,5, I have no customer errors at all with those settings

Tomas 

• Sun, Jul 18 2010 11:59 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,005

mjolnarn:
    One of my reasons to have the max speed of video set to 8 mbps is the reason that many customers have low performance dvd players, I have seen a lot players that aren´t able to handle 9 mbps

Good point, better safe than sorry.

Interestingly, I think my current success is probably more due to having a fairly new, clean, install on my system than anything. In the past I've often used a maximum of 8500, and those files didn't work with Avid DVD on my previous Win XP system.

I just tried making some .m2v files with Apple compressor and bringing them across. They didn't work, even at a lower bit rate. There are so many variables and settings in the mpeg standard that it doesn't really surprise me, but it is frustrating that it is so difficult to get it right.

The setting that did work in Sorenson was the preset that comes installed. I might try reproducing those exact settings in Apple Compressor when I have some time, to see if there is something that is different. It would be great to find out what the issue is that stops Avid DVD from accepting some of these files.

cheers

Campbell

• Sun, Jul 18 2010 12:23 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,378
    • Points 233,180
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

First of all it is gratifying to hear that AvidDVD 6.1.1 seems to be working as it should with some of your tests now.
    Also a few others on the other parallel threads have reported success after installing version 6.1.1

I am, however, waiting till a few more success stories appear before I begin to think that things are fixed.

The one change in 6.1.1 that may be fixing previous problems is described in the 6.1.1 Readme as:

"Fixed issue where MPEG-2 files created by CineVision were encoded again when building the project."

This was the problem I discovered about 4 months ago and that Sonic Support got fixed within 2 weeks.

Now the changes have made it into AvidDVD and hopefully will also continue to work with Squeeze created MPEG-2 files as well.

Yet again I would like to point out that the support team for Roxio, who seem to have abandoned DVDitProHD, are not the same team as that developing Sonic Scenarist and BD Powerstation.
    e.g. Tomas reported re-encoding problems a few years ago to the Roxio side of support...... and nothing happened.
    The Sonic Solutions team seem to be putting a lot of effort into getting DVDitProHD to work and bring it into line with its top end products like Scenarist, as it is an integral part of the Powerstation suite.
    Cinevision is one of the other parts - it is an encoded that encodes only DVD and Blu-Ray compliant files.
    The best part of it, for AvidDVD users, is that the improvements in DVDitProHD are being added to Avid DVD as well.
    In fact Avid DVD is now a few builds ahead of my latest DVDitPro HD's .

But I am not hoisting the flag yet....... I need to see a few more success stories.

gumbycat99:
    It would be great to find out what the issue is that stops Avid DVD from accepting some of these files

That is the reason I started this thread, Campbell.
    But if nobody can send me files that are re-encoding, then I will have difficulty providing Sonic's Team with the information needed for them to get to the bottom of things.

Fingers crossed that it has been fixed completely in 6.1.1

Regards,
    Douglas

• Sun, Jul 18 2010 12:36 PM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 18 2009
    • Australia
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,515

Hi Douglas, I'm quite up to speed on mpeg encoding, when I first started out in this business my day job was mpeg encoding/authoring & i have used Sonic Scenarist Sonic Reel DVD & now Adobe Encore DVD, but I have not yet used Avid DVD (sonic) as I use the other apps mentioned, now my question is...when you import your mpegs to avid dvd are you importing elementary streams or program streams? as sonic scenarist & reel dvd will only import elementary streams, it looks as though avid dvd sees it as a non-compliant mpeg stream.

another question does avid dvd (sonic) import both elementary streams & program streams?

Tim.

• Sun, Jul 18 2010 12:43 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

drbgaijin:

I am, however, waiting till a few more success stories appear before I begin to think that things are fixed.

Douglas, the reencoding probs seems to be fixed, now I am seeing field errors in the files encoded with Squeeze using the preset described , to Tim , the " PS " in the preset is for Program Stream.

Ooh why Ooh why can one never be able to get satisfied, files encoded with Bitvice and AME have no field errors, I will take this directly with Sorenson Support ...

Tomas 

Page 1 of 11 (163 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller