Latest post Sun, Jun 20 2010 2:41 AM by Lance. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 19 2010 6:03 AM

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 5 2010
    • Rio Grande Valley, Texas
    • Posts 46
    • Points 590

Desktop Compositing?

For some reason my copy of MC has started bringing up a window at startup which says:

Desktop compositing must be disabled. Would you like to disable it temporarily, or quit?

Since I would rather not do either of these options does anybody know what this means? I only have MC5 loaded on the laptop, I do not have any third party apps loaded.

In addition, Windows 7 64bit is also reporting that it must change the color scheme to Windows 7 Basic. It says the program "Avid Editor" is causing this problem.

Mark

Antec P180 case & Signature 850W PS, Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H, Phenom II 3.2Ghz quad-core, 8GB DDR2-800, ATI FirePro V5800/1GB graphics, SB X-Fi Titanium... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 19 2010 6:56 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,585
    • Points 255,845
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Desktop Compositing?

Hello Mark,

In the ReadMe for MC 5, on page 5 you can read the following about Vista (I know you are using Windows 7 - but I am assuming the same applies to it)

Disabling Desktop Compositing
    If you are running an editing application on the Windows Vista OS, when the Avid editor is
    launched you might see a dialog box asking you to disable desktop compositing. You can
    disable it without adversely affecting the Avid editing application.
    You can choose to disable it and continue with your editing session. The dialog will appear
    once you relaunch the application unless you disable the option.
    To disable the desktop compositing:
    1. Access the Control Panel.
    2. Double-click System.
    3. Click Change Settings.
    4. Click the Advanced tab.
    5. Under the Performance area, click Settings.
    6. Uncheck “Enable desktop composition.”
    The dialog box requesting you to disable desktop compositing does not appear the next
    time you launch the editing application

Mark:
    In addition, Windows 7 64bit is also reporting that it must change the color scheme to Windows 7 Basic. It says the program "Avid Editor" is causing this problem.

haven't seen this myself, but I run Windows 7 in the most basic Classic form. No Aero's or whatever they call the eye-candy stuff.
    That may be the reason you are getting this message.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 19 2010 7:36 AM In reply to

• dreid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 227
    • Points 3,070

The original poster says "I would rather not do either of these things" which I read to say: why do we have to tone down (or dumb down!) our computers to run Media Composer?  Well, I second that question: The 'eye-candy' stuff in Windows 7 is very useful actually, and unique, and it also makes working on the computer fun, and modern, which Windows 7 should be ... for example, TAB+alt lets you scroll through a 3-dimensional gallery of all your open windows, choosing where you want to jump to next ... and hovering over items in the taskbar (ie Microsft Word with multiple documents open) you get a large thumbnail of what file is, allowing you to navigate quickly ... a semitransparent taskbar that lets you see more of what's underneath, again, assisting with your organization and navigation ... Media Composer makes you shut down these tools?  It is certainly not because it's a drain on a system resource, I have 12GB RAM and quadcore Xeon 3.20 with hyperthreading, I am not at a loss for that miniscule percentage increase in system resources ... I say, give the user the choice, not to force, but to choose whether they want the eyecandy or not ... 

MC 8.5.3, DNxIO w/ 10.5.4, Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, Dell 7910, Dual 10 core Xeon 3.10, 128 GB DDR4 RAM, Quadro K5200, 1 TB SSD system drive, 1 TB SSD cache... [view my complete system specs]

And back to a windowless room full of Avids he goes.

• Sat, Jun 19 2010 7:54 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,585
    • Points 255,845
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

dreid:
    The original poster says "I would rather not do either of these things" which I read to say: why do we have to tone down (or dumb down!) our computers to run Media Composer?  Well, I second that question

Hello Derek, Nobody is saying that you have to tone down your computer to run Media Composer - if you don't want to.

This area is always a little thorny, but what it boild down to is : are you using your computer as an NLE system to make a living, or are you using it for a multitude of varying applications, one of which is MC?

I have 2 computers. Neither of them is a powerful as yours.
    One computer is my general computer, where I have my emails and internet surfing etc. A few games. Some other applications that I orefer to have away from Media Composer.
    The other is my editing computer. It has Media Composer, AvidFX, BCC AVX Filters, Sonic BD Powerstation, Camtasia Studio 7, Snagit 9 and SonicFire Pro. That's it!
    The same computer has exchangeable bay drives, so I can boot it up with other OSs and other applications.
    One of the boot drives has Adobe Creative Suite CS4, Particle Illusion, TMPGEncoder, TAW4, Nero, Dragon Naturally Speaking, Office 2007.

It's up to you how you use your computer and a lot will depend on how much you depend on it to deliver your projects from MC on time and without too much fuss.
    Nobody is telling you to tone down things if you don't want to.

Regards,
    Douglas

• Sat, Jun 19 2010 7:59 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,585
    • Points 255,845
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Back here again,

I should have added that the reason Avid publishes "ReadMe"s is because they have tested their products and have recommendations that they want to share with you.
    They don't do it to restrict your freedom or for fun. They do it because they feel that their tests have shown that certain norms should be followed if you want to have your application to work as intended.

Regards,
    Douglas

• Sat, Jun 19 2010 8:12 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 46
    • Points 590

Thanks Douglas, that did the trick. Windows also no longer reports its going to change the color scheme so I'm not sure if the first issue was causing the second. Doesn't really matter because like your system my laptop is being used exclusively for editing. Fresh install of Windows 7 64bit on a clean drive. The only apps on the system other than MC5 is QT and Adobe Reader. That's it, I didn't even install the 3rd party apps that came with MC4. They are going on the desktop once I get it upgraded for MC5 use.

I was mostly just curious why it started happening on it's own. I've been going through the "Getting Started" video training so maybe doing something while folllowing along with the training triggered the response from Windows.

I feel fortunate I had a spare laptop with sufficient resources to use entirely for learning MC5. That leaves my Liquid desktop untouched until I can beef up the hardware a little and turn it into a dual boot system. I have only run into one issue I think could be a show stopper for my business use which is legal services. It centers around the way MC5 doesn't seem to handle large clips very well. In my case I am using AVI files since that is how they are captured. Hopefullly this is a simple matter of changing the AVI file type prior to capture or some other simple step. But that is what learning the software is all about, isn't it?

Thanks again,

Mark

Antec P180 case & Signature 850W PS, Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H, Phenom II 3.2Ghz quad-core, 8GB DDR2-800, ATI FirePro V5800/1GB graphics, SB X-Fi Titanium... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 19 2010 10:12 PM In reply to

• Lance
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 16 2006
    • Michigan
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,085

For what it's worth, I also get the message, "Windows 7 64bit is also reporting that it must change the color scheme to Windows 7 Basic. It says the program 'Avid Editor' is causing this problem." My computer is like Douglas', in that all it has on it is the Avid production suite and the MC5.  Nothing else (except Internet Explorer, and the only websites I visit are Avid, Canon, and Microsoft).  I have two other computers that I use for e-mail, internet, games, and which the kids are allowed to use.

I just ignore the message, although I'm not sure if that's helpful to you, because so far all I've succeeded in learning how to do is capture tapes and import media files.

Dell T3500 Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX3800, 320 GB hard drive, 1TB hard drive, Windows 7, 64-bit, Firewire, MC 5.0... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 19 2010 10:29 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 46
    • Points 590

Thanks Lance, but as I said Douglas already solved the issue for me and I no longer get the Color scheme message.

Mark

• Sun, Jun 20 2010 2:41 AM In reply to

• Lance
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 16 2006
    • Michigan
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,085

Just in case someone else searches this forum, those are two different matters.  I disabled the Color Scheme warning by simply clicking on the box that says not to warn again. 

Dell T3500 Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX3800, 320 GB hard drive, 1TB hard drive, Windows 7, 64-bit, Firewire, MC 5.0... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller