Latest post Thu, Apr 21 2011 3:17 PM by Prince Amevor. 309 replies.
Page 1 of 21 (310 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 4 2010 12:47 AM

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,594
    • Points 20,060

MXO2 Mini and HD monitoring: is it all necessary?

I've been merrily editing, and happily viewing whatever I'm doing on a Cinema Display (it's pretty old now, but works fine).

I now understand that (with MC5, coming in June) Avid has opened its proprietary Pandora's box just wide enough to allow us to use a Matrox MXO2 Mini.  I've googled this, and it seems to fit with my workflow, as I never need to import from or export to tape; I'm totally file-based.

From what I understand, this little box would allow me to see my work in HD (what is it now?  not sure, but I guess it's not HD).  My question is:  is this a good thing?  I'm not doing fine, colour-correction type work, by the way.

This little aluminum box looks great, and it's not appallingly expensive ($450).  So is it worth it?

thanks for your thoughts,

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 4 2010 12:57 AM In reply to

Re: MXO2 Mini and HD monitoring: is it all necessary?

From what has been shown so far it looks like it will be a great low cost monitoring solution.

HDMI to almost any domestic monitor and the units setups in theory will allow you can get a reasonable colour match

• Tue, May 4 2010 1:13 AM In reply to

• Corravid
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 22 2008
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

Delay? Thanks to share.

Avid MC6/7/8 on certified hardware [view my complete system specs]

Cogito ergo sum.

• Tue, May 4 2010 1:13 AM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,594
    • Points 20,060

So, HDMI to my Cinema Display?  (does it have HDMI 'in'?)

The thing is, Andrew, I've never had a problem with the colours as I've been seeing them.  So I'm wondering if I need this thing.  Or, as soon as I see true HD monitoring, will I wonder how I ever did without it?

Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 4 2010 1:36 AM In reply to

• nsitka
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 53
    • Points 690

Is the Cinema Display your editing monitor or your client monitor? The main reason I could see one benefitting from it, colour correction aside,  is so that the client, director or producer, can view along with you in your suite and isn't looking over your shoulder, squinting their eyes to see the picture.

In your case, if you have to ask if you need it, then the answer is probably no.

• Tue, May 4 2010 3:40 AM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,594
    • Points 20,060

Ah, this is very interesting.  The odd time I've had clients over to have a look at an edit.  And no one's yet complained about looking at the project on my Cinema Display (whether they're looking over my shoulder or not).  So maybe I'm good as is. I was wondering if the picture-quality would be noticeably better with this MXO2 Mini, but it seems it might be no different.

Believe me, I'm happy to not have to invest in something I don't absolutely need; god knows there's enough stuff I actually do need (for example, next on my hit-list: the MC5 upgrade, which is going to be about the same cost as an MXO2 Mini).

Thanks for the input.

Malcolm

• Tue, May 4 2010 3:08 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 29 2009
    • Brasil
    • Posts 47
    • Points 630

i guess the better thing about it is alow u to capture/export to betacan hdcan deck dv ... with low cost

Avid Media Composer 3.1.3 Nitis DX Hardware Overview: Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro3,1 Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 4 2010 3:35 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,594
    • Points 20,060

No, I don't think the Mini version of the Matrox allows that.  I'm not sure, but that's my understanding.

• Tue, May 4 2010 4:11 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,320

malcolm

Maybe another way of looking at it is would you like to see your work displayed on a television screen?

A nice 42 inch Plasma hooked up to the Avid should impress you!

• Tue, May 4 2010 5:14 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,594
    • Points 20,060

Hi Nick,

But would that mean that I'd have to disconnect my Cinema Display?  Is it one or the other?  

And if it is one or the other, would editors prefer to work with, say, a 42" plasma (tv) screen than a Cinema Display monitor?

thanks, Malcolm

• Tue, May 4 2010 5:18 PM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,395

Daniel:
    i guess the better thing about it is alow u to capture/export to betacan hdcan deck dv ... with low cost

That is incorrect - the MXO2 mini is an output ONLY device. It DOES NOT allow input to Avid. The MXO2 mini will allow simultaneous SD and HD output to record device and/or monitor.

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Tue, May 4 2010 5:53 PM In reply to

• frosty70
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 240
    • Points 2,615

Corravid:

Delay? Thanks to share.

From what I saw today on two different MacBook Pro systems, yes there is a delay of a couple of seconds before playback begins. We watched different HD clips that originated from a Sony EX3 & a Canon 5D.

I don't know if the footage we saw was transcoded to Avid DnXHD codecs or not.

MC 6 / Mojo SDI / Mac Pro 2.66 / 7 GB RAM / SATA Raids // Meridien Xpress 5.2.4 / G4 / Avid LVD Raids [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 4 2010 6:06 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

frosty70:

Corravid:

Delay? Thanks to share.

From what I saw today on two different MacBook Pro systems, yes there is a delay of a couple of seconds before playback begins.

If, on the other hand, the delay question wasn´t about system respondance when a key is pressed down, this is what I saw today.

FYI, just came from a demo of Media Composer 5 using the Matrox Mini on a 2 generation old Macbook Pro, the playing delay was about 4 frames and we also played downconverted Hd to Sd with it

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, May 4 2010 6:40 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 29 2009
    • Brasil
    • Posts 47
    • Points 630

Solopost:

Daniel:

That is incorrect - the MXO2 mini is an output ONLY device. It DOES NOT allow input to Avid. The MXO2 mini will allow simultaneous SD and HD output to record device and/or monitor.

himm but y not if on hardarwe specifications tells:

• Use with Desktop Systems
    • Breakout Box
    • I/O Device
    • Mac & PC
    • Multiple Audio/Video Inputs & Outputs
    • Small Footprint
    • Video Capture, Playback & Conversion
    • Use with Industry-Standard Applications

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618348-REG/Matrox_MXO2_MINI_D_MXO2_Mini_for_Desktop.html

what i am missing?

Avid Media Composer 3.1.3 Nitis DX Hardware Overview: Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro3,1 Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 4 2010 6:50 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Daniel:

what i am missing?

You aren´t missing anything Daniel, you can do all that described capturing, but not with Media Composer, you have to use the apps brought with the unit or another capturing app to be able to capture

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 1 of 21 (310 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller