Latest post Thu, Feb 25 2010 5:20 PM by mhamilton. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 24 2010 10:40 PM

Fails To Open Because of Avid Media Access Volume Manager

When I've tried to open my copy of Avid today and the opening stops as soon as "Initializing Avid Media Access Volume Manager" comes up on the bottom of the screen.  Avid freezes and refuses to continue opening.  Can anyone help me with figuring out what is wrong with it?  I have a personal suspicion when I was trying to do a test export of Red files into Avid (that failed) might have had something to do with it but I highly doubt it.  

Has this problem ever occurred to anyone?

iMac Mac OSX V10.6.6 2.66Ghz Intel core 2 Duo 2GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 25 2010 3:20 AM In reply to

Re: Fails To Open Because of Avid Media Access Volume Manager

Hello Rick, and welcome to the Forum. In order to help you, we need to know the details of your system specifications. Click on your name, then "edit my profile", then "profile options" to get to the appropriate text field. Also, check your system against the Media Composer version matrix and system requirements.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 25 2010 9:32 AM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,285
    • Points 15,685

I'll second Larry with his request.

One though though: if you force-quit MC and try to relaunch it right away, does it open on second launch?

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig RAM, Mojo DX, 10.14.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 25 2010 11:32 AM In reply to

Just updated with system specs.  

No, I've forced quit and it still doesn't open.  I've had MC since last April/May and it's never given me a single problem.  Part of me almost wonders if the Red Quicktime Codec I've installed or the attempt to bring Red footage into Avid might have done it, but it seems so unlikely.  

iMac Mac OSX V10.6.6 2.66Ghz Intel core 2 Duo 2GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 25 2010 5:20 PM In reply to

• mhamilton
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Ottawa, Canada
    • Posts 1,589
    • Points 19,995

Check out the thread:  MC 4.0.5 on Mac w Snow Leopard: Hanging on Startup

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/79731.aspx

It all has to do with System Prefs, from what people are saying.  You have various options, including a new Patch (see the pinned thread above: "New Patches Available (Yes, for Mac too!)"

Regards, Malcolm

Mac Pro 6-Core 3.3GHz • OSX 10.9.1 • Media Composer v7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller