Latest post Wed, Jun 17 2020 4:53 AM by Footbaggin. 83 replies.
Page 3 of 6 (84 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 8 2011 1:35 PM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,265

Re: USB/MIDI control surface and MC

Sorry, you just told me that in the last post too! I've not had any expereince with the kit and I can't find much in the say of solid info about connecting it to a PC.

• Thu, Dec 8 2011 8:25 AM In reply to

Mark,

I would like to take a look on that midi note commands.

Thank you very much for those informations. Very usefull Thread.

Avid MC 6.0.1 MXO2 Mini, DELL Precision T5400 QUAD CORE XEON 5410 2.33 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 1700, Win7 Prof 64 bit SP1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 21 2012 1:00 AM In reply to

Hi Mark,

I had the same results (working faders and panning) on my iPad with TouchOSC and OSCulator. Didn't get the mute/solo button working yet. I would be very interesting in the other midi commands too.

Another interesting article:

http://blog.robertsalsbury.com/?p=167

Cheers,
    Jasper 

Mac Pro late 2013 3,5 Ghz 6-Core, 64Gb, OSX 10.10.5, Avid MC 8.4, Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express Macbook Pro retina 2012 15 inch i7, 16Gb, OSX 10.10.5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 2 2012 5:41 PM In reply to

Hi everybody - 

I did some followup work offline with with Mark, as Jasper linked above. Here another link to my blog you can just click rather than copy and paste:

http://blog.robertsalsbury.com/?p=167

The blog walks you through setting it up step by step and includes template files to download and use. 

I also just added a little video I shot to indicate that the faders are indeed chasing the Avid timeline. 

-Robert

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 3:27 PM In reply to

• Paddywack
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Winchester, England.
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,490

Hi,

Really interesting thread.

I'm trying to get my behringer BCF2000 midi control surface working with Avid MC6. I bought it many years ago and gave up trying to get it to control earlier MC versions. But it looks more promising now that you guys have been working on it.

I've so far got basic Gain and pan control, but would really love to be able to get the Mute and Solo's working as well as the motorised faders and anything else I can throw in there.

The BCF seems to be very programmable using the Editor software that comes with it, but I am a Midi novice.

Any more tips on how I might go about programming it?

All the best

Nick

Media Composer V8.8 MX02LE running Win 10 Pro 64bit on PC 12 core 3.5Ghz HP z820 with 120Gb memory, NVidia K5000 with 6Tb Sata plus Apple MacPro 15"... [view my complete system specs]

Paddywack Productions Ltd. Freelance editing in the UK

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 3:58 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,775
    • Points 44,570
    • Moderator: MCA PC

I don't know anything about the Behringer.  My guess is to get feedback to the flying faders you'd need drivers to couple the control surface to MC and I doubt they'd ever be available.  The biggest problem in knowing how to set up a control surface with MC that's not already supported is that there's no data on what MC is expecting for each of the controls.  We know some of what MC expects since we've had success with certain controls but the rest are unknown.  Trial and error may be the only way to find out what other codes will control other settings besides gain and pan.

Maybe one of the other folks who've been looking at this can offer something more to help.

Scott

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 4:32 PM In reply to

• Paddywack
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Winchester, England.
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,490

I think the Behringer is very similar to the Korg nano control that started this whole thread off.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BCF2000.aspx

The great thing is that it is very programmable. here is a screenshot of the interface:BCF Editor

and you can download the programmer here:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Support/B-Control-Downloads.aspx

The flying faders do work with Propellorheads Reason on the same machine, so I presume the driver is there. Anyway I would just be content with getting Mute and Solo etc to work. As you sy I might have to resort to tril and error. The tip about programming note values is useful though as this can be done on the BCF.

Any tips from the old hands would be very welcome.

Nick 

Media Composer V8.8 MX02LE running Win 10 Pro 64bit on PC 12 core 3.5Ghz HP z820 with 120Gb memory, NVidia K5000 with 6Tb Sata plus Apple MacPro 15"... [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 5:37 PM In reply to

Hi -

In my experience the key to getting things to work was to emulate an interface the Avid already knows about; that is to say is on the approved list.

You can try loading up a Midi Monitor app and looking at what Media Composer sends out as you press solo and mute on screen.

I was never able to get ProMix emulation to do pans and mutes, as it seemed to done via SysEx messages and most interfaces aren't programmable enough for that. You can try using CC 70 & 71 for Mute and Solo; that works for the JL Cooper interface.

-Robert

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 7:13 PM In reply to

• Paddywack
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Winchester, England.
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,490

thanks for the tips.

I've downloaded MIDI-OX and I can get it to see the BCF2000 midi signals but how would I go about getting it to see the Avid signals. Or is this where you need a Control8 so that you can see the signals it is sending?

• Thu, Apr 5 2012 7:27 PM In reply to

Hi -

Honestly I'm not sure. I'm just learning all the various midi app & widgets on the PC now myself.

This was sort of trivial on the Mac but I'm also stymied by the various windows apps and haven't yet had success monitoring the Avid's output.  On the Mac, the trick is just to tell the Midi Monitor app to watch & pass through the signal on it's way out.

-Robert

• Wed, May 16 2012 8:10 AM In reply to

• dazkarieh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 24 2009
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,020

Hello.

Im completly new to the control surface audio stuf and Im almost decided to buy the korg nano kontrol. Iv read the entire thread and i have some doubts. 

You keep talking about code, figuring out the codes...

-Where? How?
    -Is that something you put in the software that comes with the nanoKontrol? 
    -Do i just connect it to my pc and use the audio mixer, on MC, in live mode, to start controling the audio or you dont even need that?
    -The slider 1 will control track 1 or it will be random?

When you talk about cc modes and data codes and midi its really dificult to understant.

I just want to control the levels of audio im my sequences and not doing it with keyframes or with the mouse in the sliders of the audio mixer..

thank you and sorry for all the noobness 

Media Composer 5 (software only) Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce gts 250 RAM: 4GB(actually 3.25) Processor: Core2Quad Q9400 @2,66Ghz Motherboard:... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 16 2012 5:20 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,775
    • Points 44,570

Hi, the reason CC codes came up was that some people asked how to set up the controller for more than just gain and pan.  The nanoKontrol worked gain and pan for me by using scene 4.  This was with the original model which may not be available anymore.  The "2" model doesn't have scenes, so you'd have to reset the gain and pan configuration with the Korg editor.  I don't have a 2 model so I can't give you specific instructions on that.  We know what codes work for gain and pan, so there shouldn't be any problem setting those up on a "2" model.  We don't know what codes MC expects for other functions and that brought up the more technical parts of the thread.

If you can obtain an original nanoKontrol, just set it and MC as I detailed first in this thread and you should have gain and pan working with no need to know anything about the codes.  Live mode in MC doesn't make permanent changes to the mix.  Automation mode will.  The channel numbers on the nanoKontrol will be the same as the track numbers in MC (slider 1/track 1).

Scott

• Wed, May 16 2012 5:55 PM In reply to

• dazkarieh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,020

Thank you for your detailed answer. Its not your fault that i became even more confused.. I can buy the nano1 on ebay. Is the nano2 better?

All i want to do is automation, with the faders. And repeat if anything's wrong.. thank you

Media Composer 5 (software only) Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce gts 250 RAM: 4GB(actually 3.25) Processor: Core2Quad Q9400 @2,66Ghz Motherboard:... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 16 2012 6:15 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,775
    • Points 44,570

I don't know much about the nano2 except that it doesn't have the ability to store multiple setups (scenes).  If you can get the original model, do it so you don't have to think about any codes.  Just use the factory preset in scene 4 along with the proper setup in MC.

I'm glad I could help.

Scott

• Thu, May 17 2012 8:34 AM In reply to

• dazkarieh
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,020

Ok. I am trying to buy the 1 but it costs 40 pounds just the shiping. and the nano 2 costs 30 lol :/

Page 3 of 6 (84 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller