Latest post Thu, Jul 30 2009 3:30 PM by stevmcn. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 29 2009 11:42 PM

MetaFuze v2.0 Console Won't Launch (or at least stay running)

HP xw9300
    8GB's RAM
    Win XP 64

I double-click on Avid MetaFuze Console, a DOS window opens for just a second, the closes.  This happens both from the short-cut, and from the application icon.  Happens on other systems as well.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jul 30 2009 4:37 AM In reply to

• stevmcn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 12
    • Points 170
    • ! Avid Employee

Re: MetaFuze v2.0 Console Won't Launch (or at least stay running)

Hi Randall

The way to use the console should be in the docs... believe it or not the behavior you are experiencing is "by design" as you haven't fullfilled all of the requirements by simply double clicking this shortcut... it needs an xml as an arguement... let me explain more

The shortcut is not to run the app but allow a drop target for an xml...

try this

from regular MF GUI scan a folder and select a group

use CTRL T to create a transcode

Setup the setting you would like to use for the transcode

Instead of pressing the transcode button press the create XML button

In the dialog select a name and a destination folder for the xml... you can also check the xsd schema chexkbox if you wish

once this is done locate the xml file you have just created

drag and drop it on the shortcut and the transcode will be executed using the console version and the data in the xml file...

You can also do this from the cmd prompt...

Navigate to the directory where MF is installed and type metafuze.exe then a space followed by the path to the xml file like below

C:\Program Files\Avid\MetaFuze>metafuze.exe \\smcneill9440\c$\deleteme\foo.xml

MF will then process the foo.xml file in console mode

As in the example above it is a good idea to use the full unc path as this means the file is accessible over the network assuming you have access rights to the folder

This is the bare fundamentals to enable a render farm capability to be deployed

Script and have at it :-)

steve

• Thu, Jul 30 2009 5:52 AM In reply to

Steve, the console mode is running a little faster than GUI mode. For example a process that takes 80 seconds using the GUI takes 77 seconds in console mode. The -debug option does not slow down the console mode. Is this consistent with what you have tested?

Also, if I measure the time using a stopwatch from the moment I hit enter after

metafuze "test batch.xml"

until MetaFuze returns end of job report I get a longer time than what MF reports. Are you not counting the initialization time?

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

• Thu, Jul 30 2009 3:30 PM In reply to

• stevmcn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 14 2008
    • Posts 12
    • Points 170
    • ! Avid Employee

Hi Igor,

Yes it should be around the same overall time from the GUI and the console...

The time reported is from when we start processing to when we close the file... for now we thought that was the "most meaningfull" stat however if it's not let us know however I have to say it would be a p3 or p4 issue given some of the other things we want to do...

steve

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller