Latest post Thu, Apr 16 2009 7:51 AM by mvegas. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 14 2009 2:28 PM

• samvideoman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 9 2006
    • Virginia
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,220

LVD MediaDock

Hi,

I have one of the Black 8 slot mediadocks. i have two 36gig/is drives and 4 18gig/is drives. I was using them with an old ABVB system and they worked good, ive just moved the mediadock onto a Symphony v5 mac os X 10.2.6 with an ATTO UL3D card. There are 2 scsi cables coming out of the card into the media dock. i used the ATTO stripeing utility to make a RAID 0 with the 4 18gig drives and a RAID 0 with the 2 36gig drives. They mount and i can capture to them. then when i power the system off and back on one will mount then the other will not. if i open the atto configure utility i see one of the drives missing from the RAID. This happens for both RAID sets but not at the same time. I ran Avid drive tool and it showed me several drives failed. I then used Apple disk utility to format them and then went back into the Atto utility formatted and made the RAID 0 again. Now they seam to be working again. Does this sound like the drives are needing replaced, or do i have something configured wrong?

Thanks

Sam King

Avid Media Composer Software v3 running on MacBook Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 14 2009 3:12 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,560

Re: LVD MediaDock

Could be...could also be one of the SCSI ports going bad...If you have a spare card floating around swap it out.

-Matt M.

• Tue, Apr 14 2009 3:19 PM In reply to

• samvideoman
    • Not Ranked
    • Virginia
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,220

So maybe a bad SCSI pci card? or backplain in the Mediadock? 

Avid Media Composer Software v3 running on MacBook Pro. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 14 2009 3:20 PM In reply to

• samvideoman
    • Not Ranked
    • Virginia
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,220

So maybe a bad SCSI pci card? or backplain in the Mediadock? 

• Tue, Apr 14 2009 3:36 PM In reply to

• mmullen
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2008
    • Haverhill, MA
    • Posts 574
    • Points 6,560

I was thinking the card...not a definit but a possibility.

-Matt M.

• Thu, Apr 16 2009 7:51 AM In reply to

• mvegas
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 1,555
    • Points 17,910

Run ASM or Avid Storage Manager.  check the scsi IDs.  If you are in dual bus mode your scsi IDs will be 4,5,12,13.  If you removed the drives from the dock during the move, it is possible that you did not pair the volumes up in the dock.  You can start in ASM with a short (2 minutes) destructive write read test which will wipe the drives.  Avid supports formatting and striping through Atto Express only with OSX.  Start with one pair only, slot 1 and 5, then build from there. slot 2 and 6, slot 4 and 7 and finally slot 4 and 8.  18 and 36 gb drives are old by todays standards so you can't rule out drive failures.

HTH

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller