Latest post Mon, Dec 8 2008 4:39 PM by AndrewAction. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 19 2008 8:35 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,575
    • Points 255,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Would you like to use an avatar on your community account?

Would you like to use an avatar on your community account?

Some internal discussion are happening about turning on the avatar feature of Avid Community. Avatars are a thumbnail image on your community profile. I'd like to know if you're for it or against it. Feel free to leave more nuanced responses in a reply to this thread.

• Yes, please add avatars as soon as possible! (25%)
    • No way, keep avatars off the forums! (75%)
    • Total Votes: 8

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 19 2008 8:40 PM In reply to

Re: Would you like to use an avatar on your community account?

No

Would like to see any or all of Larry's list of suggested changes, that have been "going to be looked at" since the last forum change, made long before Avatars. Thanks.

• Wed, Nov 19 2008 8:46 PM In reply to

Hi Adam,

I voted yes, but I don't feel strongly about avatars.  There are things in this thread that I'd rather see first.  If avatars are a thing you just turn on or off, and don't require any work that takes away from stuff people are asking for in that thread, then it's ok with me.  Hope that helps for nuance.  Smile

adios,
    Carl

Media Composer 2022.4 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Nov 19 2008 8:51 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,575
    • Points 255,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Yes, to clarify; adding avatars isn't development work. It's a matter of turning the feature on or off.

• Thu, Nov 20 2008 1:32 AM In reply to

I voted no because I think we should keep the interface as simple and useful as possible.  I have participated in many other forums over the years and I generally feel that having an avatar only seems to clutter the screen and take up space. 

As a professional resource for finding out important technical information or help with trouble-shooting, I think that the site should be kept as "clean" and simple as possible. 

I'm okay with Emoticons because they are used in context of the message being written/read, an avatar serves no purpose to conveying the info that members here seek.  Yes

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 5:58 PM In reply to

well... the website is slow enough I guess. Avatars wouldnot help to solve that are they?

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Sat, Dec 6 2008 6:03 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:
    As a professional resource for finding out important technical information or help with trouble-shooting, I think that the site should be kept as "clean" and simple as possible. 

I completely agree. Strongly recommend you refocus your efforts on the website deficiencies already listed in the "New Avid Site" thread linked to in Carl's response.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Dec 8 2008 3:06 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,575
    • Points 255,625
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Andrew, Carl, Kenton, Hans, Larry, thanks all for the feedback.

Avatars is a simple on/off feature of our Community software. Its use would in no way impact or detract from the on-going site maintenance and development work our Web Team is actively engaged in to improve the performance of Community.

As far as priorities for future functionality, the "New Avid Site" thread items are highest on the list, Avatars are at the bottom, but I thought I'd pose the question to gauge your interest.

Thanks again.

• Mon, Dec 8 2008 4:39 PM In reply to

Adam I guess that with only 6 votes cast and a relative 50/50 split (margin of error correction added) there is almost compete apathy towards Avatars by forum members at this time.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller