Latest post Tue, Sep 23 2008 8:48 PM by Hans_Knikman. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 1:14 PM

Mixed format playout problems

I have a project with 1 tape of HDV and 2 tapes of DV from different camers. All 16x9 PAL.

Everything works and looks fine on the desktop. The strangeness comes when I try to play out to a Sony Z1U camera (not using Mojo).

I have made a DV 25 420 mixdown and make a crash record of the output.

Once again everything looks fine on the desktop but on the viewfinder of the Z1 all the shots looks squished horizontally apart from the footage from one of the DV cameras which takes up the entire viewfinder as I would have expected.

If I recapture the tape all seems fine again. It's only in the viewfinder that this constant format switching keeps happening depending on the source.

I can eliminate the effect by applying a colour effect to the entire mixdown, which causes all the shots to behave in the squished way. But this means I have to re-render the timeline again.

The playouts don't seem to have caused any problems for my clients but it is very disconcerting to know that some kind of format information is being recorder on the tape on a shot by shot basis, even after a complete mixdown and I'm worried that it may cuse difficulties for some tape to tape transfer facilities further down the line.

Boxx Dual Xeon 3.06ghz Nvidia Quadro FX 3000 2Gig RAM Pyro 64 firewire Xpress Pro 5.7.5 Win Xp Pro sp2 Audigy Z2 Mojo [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 23 2008 8:48 PM In reply to

Re: Mixed format playout problems

what format did you record to on the Z1?

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller