Latest post Tue, Jul 22 2008 9:23 AM by philnic. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 20 2008 4:25 PM

• philnic
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 23
    • Points 255

Colour correction - unwanted deinterlace

I'm working on a 25i project. All footage is interlaced, from DV source.

I have used the colour correction tool to adjust each shot, but found that some shots are being deinterlaced by the colour correction effect. I have checked carefully, and no other effects are present.

If I open the effect editor on a clip that this has happened to, when I step through field-by-field I can see that odd fields are identical to even fields.

This doesn't happen with all clips, only a few. It doesn't seem to matter what I do within the colour correction tool, either!

Avid Xpress Pro 5.2.4 Dell Precision M4300 - Intel core 2 duo T8300 2.4GHz 4GB ram Windows XP SP2 Nvidia Quadro FX 360M Quicktime 7.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 21 2008 9:08 PM In reply to

• ceffoavid
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 17 2008
    • Posts 123
    • Points 1,400

Re: Colour correction - unwanted deinterlace

What do the clips, which are affected, have in common?

ACSR

Media Composer, Symphony, DS, Unity

• Mon, Jul 21 2008 9:33 PM In reply to

• philnic
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 23
    • Points 255

That's what I've been puzzling over. They all originated from the same camera (but so did about 50% of my timeline. They may have originated from the same tape (but so did many other clips on the timeline).  The picture content varies widely. Two of the clips were slightly overexposed, but another was rather underexposed.

I really can't see, or think of, anything relevant that they have in common.

Avid Xpress Pro 5.2.4 Dell Precision M4300 - Intel core 2 duo T8300 2.4GHz 4GB ram Windows XP SP2 Nvidia Quadro FX 360M Quicktime 7.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 21 2008 10:23 PM In reply to

interesting Smile I never have seen a cc do a deinterlace. I don't even think it is possible. Can you attach some images showing the problem?

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Tue, Jul 22 2008 9:23 AM In reply to

• philnic
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 23
    • Points 255

Funnily enough, I think I have seen it happen before. I have sometimes seen deinterlaced material suddenly appear in some of my students' work after they have colour corrected. When I ask why they deinterlaced some clips they give me a blank stare. This is the first time I have seen it happen in one of my own projects.

I've actually put that project to bed now (I used a manually-adjusted colour effect instead of the colour correction tool for the problem clips). But I will try to post some images in a couple of days.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller