Latest post Fri, May 23 2008 8:59 PM by owens_2k. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 22 2008 11:50 PM

• owens_2k
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 22 2008
    • Posts 12
    • Points 170

Problem with quick transitions

Im trying to apply the dissolve transition between 2 sequences, i can select what kind i want etc but the apply button is disabled and it does not allow me to enter the number of frames i want it to be active for etc. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Any help greatly appretiated.

• Fri, May 23 2008 12:23 AM In reply to

Re: Problem with quick transitions

Try changing the drive destination to a different drive and see if the problem persists. Also, check your permissions profiles.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, May 23 2008 1:24 AM In reply to

Also could be that you don't have the handles to do the transition.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, May 23 2008 1:34 AM In reply to

Kenton makes a good point. Look very carefully at the graphic "overlap" display inside the quick transition window. Depending on what type you chose, does the system show adequate overlap (the handles Kenton refers to) or not? Are you at the absolute first frame or last frame of a clip and trying a "centered" dissolve? That will not work because of inadequate handles. You must allow for frames outside your actual marks equal to the duration of the dissolve.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, May 23 2008 9:57 AM In reply to

• owens_2k
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 170

im trying to add a standard dissolve between the two segments, iv tried to change the drive path to no avail. Iv used ctrl + click to ensure that im right where the segments meet on the timeline. Im trying to get it to dissolve at the last 10 frames of the first segment.

Iv attached a print screen, the spin0032 and spin0433 segments are "picture in picture" effects in the scene (working fine) but im having trouble tryin to get the dissolve transition across the two. As you can see from the screenshot iv got my timline at the correct point and according to the dissovle dialogue box i have 1106 frames as my "handles" either side. 

Whenever i click add or add and render however it has no effect

• Fri, May 23 2008 10:36 AM In reply to

Hi,

I think the problem is you're still in Effects mode.  Try entering Source/Record mode and apply the transition.

I just attempted the exact same thing on a Symphony, and in Effects Mode I got the same result you're getting, while in Source/Record mode it worked like it should.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2021.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, May 23 2008 11:45 AM In reply to

• owens_2k
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 170

Thanks i'll take a look a look and try that when i get home.

Whilst i'm here, and to save me starting a new thread does avid enable my project to be saved at 1024x768? It just my final edit is going to be displayed on a computer monitor running that resolution. I suppose i could use PAL (720x576) but then it might look stretched.

Once again any help greatly appretiated.

• Fri, May 23 2008 1:12 PM In reply to

I notice from your picture that you have all tracks active, but it appears you only want the dissolve to occur on V2. If so, V2 should be the ONLY track that's active. Try that and see if the problem persists. And it does appear that you're in the segment edit mode instead of transition mode, where the area between the clips is highlighted, not the whole segment.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, May 23 2008 5:56 PM In reply to

• owens_2k
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 170

Sorry, im new to Avid so im just getting trained up on it at the moment. Iv reverted back to source/recording editing mode and still cannot add the transition. As stated above i am not sure how i make only V2 active or enter segment edit mode.

I've completed several tutorials, however none of them include these items. Maybe the help is my best option

• Fri, May 23 2008 6:46 PM In reply to

owens_2k:
    i am not sure how i make only V2 active

Hi,

Clicking on the track panel indicators (the squares that say V1, V2, A1, etc) turns them off and on.  When they're grey they're off, and when they're purple they're on.  Click them until V2 is the only purple one, and then try to add a dissolve.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2021.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, May 23 2008 7:22 PM In reply to

• owens_2k
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 170

Right, i've entered segment mode and turned off the other video layers yet now for some reason its telling me that i have no frames in my handles. The picture in picture element is the image with the white background (spin0032.tga) and im tryin to get it to fade into spin0433.

Can't really see where im going wrong?

• Fri, May 23 2008 7:33 PM In reply to

You don't have enough handles on your .tga  You've used all available material in the timeline  You need to mark in and out on the source clip so that you have some handles to dissolve in and out of.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, May 23 2008 7:40 PM In reply to

Again, as I said before, look at that graphic display. It shows that you have no overlap around your edit point - the HANDLES Kenton is referring to. When you have adequate handles, you will see an overlap on that display.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, May 23 2008 8:59 PM In reply to

• owens_2k
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 170

Worked a treat thanks.

Regarding the output file as i stated earlier im looking to do it at 1024x768 however its not an option when starting a new project so what is the best way to obtain an output at this resolution without my video looking "stretched"

That's the last question i promise!

Regards

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller