Latest post Sun, Apr 13 2008 2:30 AM by mburgh. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 11 2008 4:39 PM

Upgrade to MC preserving projects

I plan to upgrade XPro to MC. Will the process endanger projects and media already on the XPro system? What's been your experience? Thanks for any insight you might have on this.

ACPI multiprocessor PC: XP SP2, Pentium D CPU 3.2G, 3.21G;3G Ram, 1.2 TB on six hard drives, Mojo, Sony DSR 11 DV deck, Beta SP play deck. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 11 2008 4:40 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Upgrade to MC preserving projects

Projects and user data have always been separate from the application installation. Depending on what you are upgrading from, you may have to point the new software to the actual locations of the Avid project file but they will not be removed or disturbed by the uninstall/install process.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Sat, Apr 12 2008 3:53 PM In reply to

• bee gee
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 545
    • Points 6,530

One other thing that may help on the subject of projects. Prior to installing MC soft, back your projects up to a different location and then, after your AXP uninstall, delete all empty folders to do with avid as well. I forgot to delete the shared avid projects folder in my documents, so my MC installed over the top of the old projects. Had terrible trouble with EDL manager until I uninstalled again (remembering to delete the projects folder this time) and did a fresh re-install. Now edl manager plays nice. 

HTH

mc v7, isis unity, symphony, flame/smoke/lustre [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 13 2008 1:07 AM In reply to

• teddylevy
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 40
    • Points 440

Here's my recommendation, based on years of bringing projects from production companies home to my Xpress Pro system to work on, and then back to them again (I'm currently doing that weekly on an eight month job for Spike TV).

Don't move your Xpress Pro projects to where Media Composer can access them. Instead, create new projects in Media Composer, and then at the file level (Windows Explorer, or with folders opened individually in My Computer), drag or copy the BINS from your old projects into the new, equivalent MC projects. It's quick and easy to do, and you won't run into any little incompatibilities at the project level. The bins and media will definitely be compatible.

• Sun, Apr 13 2008 2:30 AM In reply to

• mburgh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 24 2006
    • Ft. Smith, AR
    • Posts 27
    • Points 365

My projects appeared automatically when I upgraded and opened MC 2.8. 

Mac Pro 4 gig Ram OS 10.5.5 NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Media Composer 4.03 Mbox DVX-100a [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller