Latest post Sun, Mar 30 2008 8:31 AM by Job ter Burg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 2:17 PM

My Mojo sound is very quiet.

I have my Mojo output hooked up to a domestic LCD using the composite and RCA connections.

I'm normally watching regular TV on this set but by selecting EXT 1  I'm watching my Avid output. The only problem is that the sound level is very low compared to the other inputs and I have to turn the volume way up to hear anything.

I read somewhere on these forums that the Mojo as -10db offset to work well with domestic cameras etc so I'm wondering if my experience is to be expected and wether there is any cheap work around.

thanks

Boxx Dual Xeon 3.06ghz Nvidia Quadro FX 3000 2Gig RAM Pyro 64 firewire Xpress Pro 5.7.5 Win Xp Pro sp2 Audigy Z2 Mojo [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 28 2008 6:32 PM In reply to

Re: My Mojo sound is very quiet.

How does your sound look on the Avid audio meter? Have you checked the master fader in the Avid?

If you are comparing raw, unprocessed production sound to finished mixes after broadcast, then the explanation lies right there. Usually, production sound will have a dynamic range of 20dB or so, whereas broadcast TV will be squashed flat to only 2 or 3dB of dynamic range.

The -10dB number is not an offset, it is a calibration. Domestic appliances (including your LCD monitor) usually are calibrated to -10dB, whereas professional equipment is more often calibrated to +4dB.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 29 2008 9:04 PM In reply to

My master fader (I asume this is the one that you access via the speaker icon above the timeline) is at the default position when you start a new project (about 3/4 up) and the gain in the Audio Output window is at 0.

I'm working with my temporary mix. I usually aim to get dialogue around -14 on the left digital meter as advised elsewhere on these forums.

Your mention of the -10db being a calibration for domestic kit is also something that I read elsewhere and so was surprised to find such a difference between the mojo and the other sources plugged in to my TV, them being all domestic.

Any idea about doing a basic calibration to a simple set up like mine or do I just need to get a mixer to achieve an acceptable balance.

Boxx Dual Xeon 3.06ghz Nvidia Quadro FX 3000 2Gig RAM Pyro 64 firewire Xpress Pro 5.7.5 Win Xp Pro sp2 Audigy Z2 Mojo [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 29 2008 10:20 PM In reply to

• Terrance
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 26 2007
    • Athens, GA
    • Posts 74
    • Points 815

Just in case --

Theres a gray volume knob on the front of the Mojo, next to the lights -- have you turned that up?

XPproHD 5.2.4 w/ Studio Toolkit 5.1 and Mojo; Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz; 4Gig RAM; NVidia Quadro FX1500; homebuilt [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 29 2008 10:35 PM In reply to

• Terrance
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 26 2007
    • Athens, GA
    • Posts 74
    • Points 815

Wait, now that I think about it, that's just for the headphones -- never mind.

XPproHD 5.2.4 w/ Studio Toolkit 5.1 and Mojo; Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz; 4Gig RAM; NVidia Quadro FX1500; homebuilt [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 30 2008 8:31 AM In reply to

Any idea about doing a basic calibration to a simple set up like mine

I don't think ther's anything wrong with your calibration. You just need to get used to the fact that final mixes over broadcast will sound one heck of a lot louder than plain vanilla productions sound from your Avid.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller