Latest post Thu, Mar 27 2008 11:05 PM by sasfog. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 26 2008 2:00 PM

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Problem upgrading to MC

Hi,

The upgrade box arrived today and I installed the software onto a new laptop no problems what soever. However when I tried to upgrade on my main desk top editing suite things were not so sweet.

It is a problem I have had with the last few upgrades with AXP that I never got around. When the install application launches everything goes as normal (doing a complete uninstal / instal) but when it identifies an existing version of a program and asks to delete it an error message comes up when I click OK saying that setup.exe ecountered a problem etc and has to close. When I try to unistall it using add / remove programs no joy either.

Can anybody help? Has anyone encountered this problem also and if so have they found a way around it? If not can I simply delete all the programs on my C drive that refer to Avid, Digidesign, Sentinal and anny others I should know about? Ii assume that if I do this my media files saved on another drive will not be affected.

All advice/help, as always will be enormously appreciated.

Thanks

graham

HP Z400 6 Core Intel Xeon W3680 3.33GHz 6GB memory NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB PCIe graphics card MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 26 2008 2:38 PM In reply to

Re: Problem upgrading to MC

Hi, you  could try deleting the avid folder and then reinstalling, but make sure you copy your projects out of there first!!!!

MC v6 Intel Mac 10.6.8 quad Xeon procs Striped Raid, Fast drives, separate System drive [view my complete system specs]

www.whirlwindfilms.com www.spencerdoane.com

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 2:50 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Can you first use the Avid uninstall application and THEN trash the app folder before you reinstall? Does that help at all?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 3:05 PM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Fortunately I do not have that much stored on AXP at the moment but I will back my project up first. Do you think I should uninstall the other related programs digideign and sentinal for example or should that be enough?

thanks again

Graham

HP Z400 6 Core Intel Xeon W3680 3.33GHz 6GB memory NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB PCIe graphics card MC6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 26 2008 3:24 PM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Sorry BLKDOG did not see your reply went i sent mine. The uninstall on the MC Installation CD wont let me uninstall anything and as it wont install the newer version until the older one has been removed it kind of leaves me in an infinite loop of getting nowhere.

I have copied the proect folder from AXP to a disk and will check I can load them up and access them on my laptop before taking any drastic action, but all advice is welcome.

I can't wait to start using it.

Thanks

Graham

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 4:08 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Maybe I misunderstood but,

you would not use the uninstaller on the disc. You would use that one that should already be on your system under Program Files.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 5:04 PM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Interestingly under the Avid section in Pprograms there is no uninstall option for any of the Avid products, probably all connected with not being able to uninstall it by any other means.

I think my only option is to delete all Avid folders once I have backed up all my products and Media.

Unless of course there are any other suggestions? It is a job I will leave for tommorrow so any suggestions before then would be great.

Thanks

Graham

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 5:16 PM In reply to

• Crunchy Doodle
    • Not Ranked
    • Woodland Hills, CA
    • Posts 15
    • Points 205

The uninstall for Avid Xpress Pro is in the Windows Control Panel under the Add Remove Programs applette. It is generally not a good idea in Windows to just delete a folder tree from inside Program Files in lieu of performing a proper uninstall.

Bye.

Dell 380, 3GB RAM, 80GB, 160GB SATA, nVidia Quadro FX-4600, XP Pro SP3 [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 7:01 PM In reply to

If you can't uninstall that way, run your old original XPressPro installer (from XPressPro CD or from your downloaded installer). Then use the uninstall function on that installer.

MC 7.0.2 iMac 4Ghz Intel Core i7 OSX 10.10.3, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, AMD radeon R9 M295X 4096MB, Retina 5k 27" + Dell 24", Flanders Scientific LM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 26 2008 9:45 PM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Thanks for the extra advice.

Unfortunately I cannot uninstal the programs using the add remove programs feature, don't know why but it wont let me. Tried uninstalling using previous versions of AXP but no go either although I will give this another try tommorrow.

If i have to delete the files from within program files (aassuming i have no other choices) will this be as effective as using uninstall even though it is not a preferred method?

Thanks

Graham

• Wed, Mar 26 2008 10:41 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,421
    • Points 97,440

No.  Do not delete program files directly.  You will end up with an unstable system with mysterious hard-to-fix problems.  You say that Windows "won't let" you uninstall.  What's it doing?  What messages are you getting?  Is there no Avid application in the uninstall list?

One thing that you may have previously tried was deleting the program files.  This will break the uninstall process.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 27 2008 12:00 AM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

The message I get is as this;

'Setup.Exe

Setup.Exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on may be lost.'

As you can see it is not a very informative message.

Graham

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 4:07 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,421
    • Points 97,440

The information that it tells us is that the Windows install/uninstall application is falling over.  This may be because the uninstall data for that program is corrupt, or it may be that Windows itself has a problem.  If it's the latter you may not be able to install new software either.

To fix this first download EasyCleaner or CCleaner - they're both free - and install either one.  If it installs then Setup.exe is probably OK and it's safe to proceed.  Back up your project and user data and completely remove the Avid folder and its contents.  Then run CCleaner or EasyCleaner.

They will tell you that the application "Avid.exe" is missing and give you the option to clean the registry and remove any residual files no longer in use.  Do so.  You should now have a clean system ready to install your new version.

NOTE:  This process involves modifying the Windows registry and accordingly risks making Windows unbootable!  If there's anything about the above that you don't understand or you feel doubtful about operating on Windows at a system level, get help from someone who can either do it for you or sit by you and guide you through the process.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 27 2008 9:40 AM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

If it was me i would start backing up things and went searching for the official installer discs of the system.. get it rebuild and start fresh. Installer problems can be related to many many things including messed up rights management in XP. it will take a lot of effort to get that fixed.

However a re-install is no cup of tea for just anyone either.. it involves knowing a bit what you do but when executed properly you will have a fresh new fast system to work with.

Menno

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 10:05 AM In reply to

• sasfog
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Bristol United Kingdom
    • Posts 314
    • Points 3,935

Thanks Menno and jwrl.

As it happens I managed to install both versions of the software, it does only seem to be Avid that has the problems. I have more info for you, I have a better idea of went this started.

It all began a couple of AXP ugrades back when I started to get a message each time I started Avid up that my free version of Elastic gasket was no longer supported, contact vendor to uprade - or words to that effect. I did not want to do this, had never used EG anyway so tried to uninstal it, could not find an uninstall program so deleted it from the program files when I found it. I am fairly sure this was the start of the problem. It also seems to coincide with another problem occurs when I start the system up it goes into DOS or BIOS and says

CMOS Settings not set

CMOS time/date not set

F1 to run setup

F2 to run default settings

I correct the time and date and carry on unaffected, just very irritating especiallly when it does not remember the settings on the next start up and we get the CMOS message above again.

I do know someone who works for HP, do you think I should call on his help? or proceed with jwrl's instructions.

Thanks

Graham

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller