Latest post Thu, Mar 20 2008 11:07 PM by David Noonchester. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 2:06 AM

• heavyjoe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Helena, AL
    • Posts 15
    • Points 245

Upgrade to "chroma-keying" in MC - opinions?

I've just finished a project in AXP 5.7.5, (at dv25) but I'm not happy with the chroma-key results using the BCC and/or the Avid Chroma-keyer. My OC talent is "pixely" on her face - and her edges - just look rough. The key footage was originally shot on Beta SP so I could upgrade to MC and redigitize and re-key at 1:1, right? Would it be worth the effort to upgrade now to MC and put in the extra hours for a cleaner key? How wonderful is the included chroma-keyer in MC? Will the difference really blow me away?

Thanks,

Tracey

Filed under:
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 2:32 AM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,650

Re: Upgrade to "chroma-keying" in MC - opinions?

Spectramatte is quite amazing, but the rough edged are likely due to the DV25 compression.  Can you not recapture at 1:1 with Xpress Pro?  You'd need a Mojo to capture uncompressed, but  you'll need that with Media Composer to capture 1:1 anyway.

Either way, I think it's worth the upgrade because of everything else Media Composer offers, and it will get you set for the next round of upgrades/updates (whenever they may happen).

Michael.

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 10:04 AM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

i agree with the poster, uprez the footage to anything but DV and key away. Spectramate is a way cool keyer if you understand the keyer... might take a while to get optimal output. But the most you will gain is when you uprez from DV.

Menno

35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 1:52 PM In reply to

• heavyjoe
    • Not Ranked
    • Helena, AL
    • Posts 15
    • Points 245

Thanks guys, I don't have a Mojo, so I guess I'm stuck with DV25 even if I upgrade. Now I've got to look at stepping that up as well...

Thanks again,

Tracey

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 2:19 PM In reply to

• heavyjoe
    • Not Ranked
    • Helena, AL
    • Posts 15
    • Points 245

Hey, do you think the upgrade to MC using the Spectramatte might give me a little better key than what I have? I've got approval on what I have now, but I can't stop tinkering if I know it could be better. I plan on upgrading to MC eventually...(back to where I started 12 years ago, when I worked for someone else...) but if it helps me tweek a little, it would help how I feel about it before it leaves here for duplication.

Thoughts?

That being said, what's the latest on the MOJO? Firmware glitches fixed? I have been gone from the forum for a while...

Tracey

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 2:29 PM In reply to

Tracy:

I'm stuck with DV 25 also because of transfers to airspeed instead of going to tape, and I'm much happier with keying results through spectramatte as opposed to the Avid chroma key effect, even at DV 25. So I would recommend to go ahead with the upgrade and try spectramatte with your current project. It sure can't look any worse than using the chroma key effect.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 2:39 PM In reply to

• heavyjoe
    • Not Ranked
    • Helena, AL
    • Posts 15
    • Points 245

Thanks Larry!

You're right, I don't think it could be any worse.

Now for that mojo...

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 5:37 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 673
    • Points 8,020

I just ordered MC and I’m just wondering how Spectramatte compares with the Foundry’s Keylight, in AE. I find that keylight works wonders especially with DVCAM footage but it is still a pain going out and back into Avid.

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 96GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 1TB, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K, Avid MC-2018.12.7 , MacBook... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 8:20 PM In reply to

I have a bit different experiences with spectramatte. In some cases it's amazing but in other cases it's not that nice. I found that the RGB Keyer can beat it when "blur" and "erode" is applied on the matte - spill is also a great possibility (I know that spectramatte also have these but you have to choose between blur and erode and its just not so smooth). That blur is optimal for dv-compression, I think.

Upgrade will worth it's price anyway...

HP Z420 MC 2018.12.3/2018.18.2/7.0.4 MINT server-client network [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 8:34 PM In reply to

• heavyjoe
    • Not Ranked
    • Helena, AL
    • Posts 15
    • Points 245

Just ordered it...be here tomorrow.Cool

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 9:34 PM In reply to

Among the things you'll notice:

*3D Warp effect in the Blend Group

*Animatte in the Image Group

*Timewarp effect that is fully customizable with advanced speed and position graphs.

*Bundled BCC Continuum Effects that work within the native effects interface

*Spectramatte Keying

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 11:07 PM In reply to

As has been said Spectramate is very good.  I also use the BCC keyer which is also very good.  Sometimes one works better than the other.  Spectramate gives you more tools to help you adjust your key which can be helpful if the lighting wasn't very good.  If the lighting is good the BCC keyer is very fast and easy.  Both are better much better (no comparison really) than the standard Avid keyer.

With the upgrade you also get the latest BCC which comes with a tool like Avid Pan and Zoom but better.  I find that Avid Pan and Zoom is fine for SD material but not as smooth and sharp for HD material.  I'm eager to try the BCC plugin to see if it's better.

MB: Tyan s2895 K8WE CPU: 2x Opteron 254 Memory: 4GB Graphics: Nvidia Quadro FX 3400 Storage: 1x 80GB Hitachi 7K80 System, 8x Hitachi T7K250... [view my complete system specs]
    DavidN
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller