Latest post Tue, Apr 29 2008 9:29 AM by DylanReeve. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 12:10 AM

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

What to do once you receive your MC Upgrade

Those of you who may not be used to upgrading using a full version may find this helpful:

Customers that purchase the upgrade from Avid Xpress Pro to Avid Media Composer Software on the avid.com web store will receive a physical shipping box. Inside the box is a card with a sticker and this card explains the steps required to upgrade the application key (dongle).   

Many of you have upgraded your Avid Xpress Pro software over the years online through a download process and received your product key on the store conformation order form. With a physical upgrade, that process is different and the product key is inside the box and located on the upgrade card. To update your application key (dongle), you need a dongle updater (.avd) file from Avid. 

Follow the important steps below (note that these instructions are also on the upgrade card) :

To obtain your updater file:

1. Install but do not start your new Avid Media Composer software.

2. Make sure the application key (dongle) is connected to the USB port on your computer system.

3. Use one of the following methods to determine your system ID and serial number:

Ø     The system ID and serial number are on the tag attached to your dongle. If you have a dongle labeled with both Windows® and Macintosh® System ID’s, use the Windows system ID and serial number, even if you are using a Macintosh computer.

Ø     If the tag is no longer attached to your dongle, run the DongleManager application to obtain the system ID and serial number. The DongleManager application is located in one of the following locations on your system:

Windows:

ProgramFiles\Avid\Utilities\DongleManager\DongleManager.exe

Macintosh:

Applications/Utilities/DongleManager/DongleManager.app

Ø     Double-click the DongleManager application file and then click the Scan tab. Click Rescan and rite down the following information:

Ø      

Avid System ID _______________________________

Dongle Serial Number __________________________

Now you are ready to obtain your application key (dongle) for your new Media Composer software.

4. Go to www.avid.com/upgrade

5. From the pull down menu select Avid Media Composer v2.8

6. Follow the online instructions to obtain your dongle updater file. You will need to enter the system ID, serial number, and the upgrade key (product key) that is attached to the card that came with your Media Composer upgrade as well as your name and email from when you originally registered the Xpress Pro system.

7. Download the dongle updater file (.avd) to your system.

To update your dongle:

1. Save the updater file (.avd) to your system.

2. Double-click DongleManager (see the previous instructions above to locate the DongleManager application). The Dongle Manager application starts.

3. Click the Update tab.

4. Click the Open button, and navigate to the dongle updater (.avd) file, and then click Open .An automatic test occurs to make sure your dongle matches the dongle updater (.avd) file. The updater file works only on the dongle or dongles for which it was assigned.

5. Click the Update button. Your dongle is updated.

Important Note - You only need to run the updater program on one platform (Windows or Macintosh). After the dongle has been updated it enables both the Windows and Macintosh versions of your Avid software.

The upgrade key on the card can be used only once. 

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 4:25 PM In reply to

Re: What to do once you receive your MC Upgrade

Here is a question about the updates.  I have just purchased the update from XPro to MC.

I checked to see which systems qualified to run MC.  I use dell laptops and called dell to get pricing on the list of ceritifed systems. FOur of the laptops on this list for DELL are now obsolete and no longer available.  They are:

M90, M70, M60 and M5160

The only system on the list that was sent this week announcing the update is M6300. 

Is there a new list of certified dell system that run MC?

MC 6.5 | Intel i7 - 3.4Ghz - 64 bit | 8 gig RAM | 1T HD | Windows 8 | Panasonic HMC40 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 4:35 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

If I understand you correctly, the list represents the systems on which Avid has been tested, not what Dell is currently selling. New lists are prepared with each software release. If there are new Dell models, and they have been tested, they will be listed in the Read Me files for each new release.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 6:02 PM In reply to

Actually, the ReadMes list the minimum system requirements and point to the avid.com site for the specific list of qualified systems such as http://www.avid.com/products/media-composer/systemrequirements.asp for Media Composer. You can find this information under the Requirements heading in each ReadMe.

HTH,

Doris

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 7:26 PM In reply to

• underscore
    • Not Ranked
    • L.A.
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

I have an academic xpress pro with mojo, and just purchased academic media composer v 2.7.2, which came with it's own dongle.

What steps would I take differently than above to make a clean install?

G5 Dual_2 4_Gigs Ram OSX_10.4.11 Avid MC 2.8.0 w/ MOJO [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 7:40 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Well the steps are the same because the only upgrade that would apply to you would be the upgrade to your 'Pro system.

Question...you JUST bought 2.7.2? why did you purchase such an old software version?

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 7:52 PM In reply to

• underscore
    • Not Ranked
    • L.A.
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

Thats all they had, and It didnt say the version on the box. The salesperson said that when I register the product, I would be able to download 2.8. Is that untrue?

G5 Dual_2 4_Gigs Ram OSX_10.4.11 Avid MC 2.8.0 w/ MOJO [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 20 2008 8:02 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Yes but, unless you need that 'Pro dongle, I'd return that MC version and use the $495 upgrade deal.

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 8:10 PM In reply to

• underscore
    • Not Ranked
    • L.A.
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

I thought my only option, as the holder of an ACADEMIC xpress pro, was to purchase an ACADEMIC mc.

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 8:24 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Well, if you got it at the $295 price then you're golden but, if you read the FAQ at the top of the page, Marianna mentions that there are upgrade deals available to go from Academic 'Pro to Academic MC but you have to contact either avid inside sales or your reseller.

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 10:40 PM In reply to

• underscore
    • Not Ranked
    • L.A.
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

I did get it for $295

so, just to clarify

1) I should use the new media composer dongle

3) steps as follows:

basically unistall  avid xpress pro

remove old dongle and unplug mojo

install new media composer

install new dongle

register avid

download v 2.8

register dongle

I'd be lying if I said that I am confident about this process, as I am not upgrading, rather installing a new system....please advise

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 11:22 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

You are correct sir. You will not need to update your MC dongle as the last dongle update came with 2.7.x

So, all you should need to do is uninstall 'Pro, unplug the dongle, install MC, plug in your dongle and Mojo and fire 'er up.

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 11:17 PM In reply to

• underscore
    • Not Ranked
    • L.A.
    • Posts 21
    • Points 275

ah....if it were only so simple

• Thu, Mar 27 2008 11:37 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,405
    • Avid Employee

Are you saying that you are having trouble?

• Tue, Apr 29 2008 9:29 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac

We had a particularly painful experience with the upgrade... It was all fairly simple, except for actually registering the upgrade to get the dongle updater.

We followed the instructions first thing on Monday morning, visited the upgrade page, entered the details and clicked submit or whatever only to get the response 'An Unexpected Error Occured' - particularly frustration given I had an online to start that morning that I was really hoping to do in MC.

Calling Avid's US number was fruitless (it was about 6pm on Sunday Eastern time they were closed). There's no local NZ or Australia Avid office, so Singapore was the next best option, but they are 4 hours behind, so it was about 1pm before we finally got hold of someone to help us out - and he was very efficient when we did reach him.

Very frustrating.

Not too big a deal in the end though, as I was able to start the online in Xpress Pro and then just open it up in MC when we got that going.

Sadly, I still have to online another series in FCP.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller