Latest post Thu, Mar 20 2008 5:03 PM by Kevin Klimek. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 18 2008 10:05 PM

• ratrat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 28 2007
    • Posts 47
    • Points 595

Outputting to DVD

I'm working on an Avid Symphony Meridien vers. 5.5.5. I need to create a dvd from Avid, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to go abaout this. At the moment, i am using an external recorder going in SVideo, but i want to be able to make the dvd from avid on my PC.

I have Cleaner, which i can use to make an mpeg or dvd file & am looking to buy a DVD creating software (Sonic Producer maybe). If anyone knows a good way to do this & can suggest a good combo of software or a good workflow soultion i would be grateful. I would rather buy a tried & tested combo than guess & get it wrong.

At the moment, i also am exporting an animation codec QT file, copying the file to an external drive & making the dvd in Toast on my Mac. A lot of work for a simple outcome. Any help i would appreciate.

Thanks!

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 10:34 PM In reply to

Re: Outputting to DVD

Do you have a copy of Sonic DVD? I belive it comes with most Avids. I use it to burn quick dvds or even for authoring some complex dvds. Anyways its very simple to burn your time line onto a dvd. You can create a quick time Reff File. After you are done rendering your time line and send it over to Sonic DvD. The rest is cake. Improt it into Sonic and let it Transcode the file and then it burns. Looks great never really had any problems.
    Intel Xeon E5345 Quad 2.33GHz - TyanS2696 MotherBoard - 4Gb Quad Channel DDR2 667 Ram - Nvidia Quadro FX 540 - 160GB (boot drive) 1.2 TB Raid 0 (4x320... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Mar 18 2008 10:53 PM In reply to

• ratrat
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 47
    • Points 595

Thanks for the tip. My system didn't come with Sonic. I'm worried that if i buy Producer, they will not work together & i may need an intermediate program.

• Wed, Mar 19 2008 10:14 PM In reply to

Hi,

Take a look at How to DVD on this thread.  It's written for Xpress Pro, but it all applies to Symphony, too, and gives some good suggestions about DVD authoring.

good luck,
    Carl

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 5:09 AM In reply to

• ratrat
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 47
    • Points 595

Thank you, i'll take a look & give it a go!

• Thu, Mar 20 2008 5:03 PM In reply to

However, I would look at something other than Cleaner for the MPEG-2 encode...it does a horrible job and the software hasn't been updated in years.

I'm on a Mac, so we use BitVice and DVD Studio Pro, but I'm sure there are better options out there on PC.

Keep in mind, though, you may be limited by your older version of Symphony as to what you can install on that same computer.  Newer software might force you to add a separate computer for DVD authoring.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller