Latest post Tue, Jul 3 2007 5:47 PM by Paris MkVI. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 29 2007 10:05 PM

• sean90291
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 21 2005
    • Auckland
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,495

How do I re-order Video Tracks?

It's easy in After Effects. I simply drag one track down below another. So how do I change the order of layers of video tracks if I want one to be below the other? Re-naming tracks and giving it a new number doesn't do anything to the order, it just re-names the track.

• Fri, Jun 29 2007 10:48 PM In reply to

Re: How do I re-order Video Tracks?

It's relatively easy here too. Create a new sequence with the same number of tracks, mark the entire original sequence, load it in the source monitor and PATCH the channels between the source column and the sequence column in the order you want. Just click onto a source track selector and drag an arrow to the desired position in the sequence and once you've re-ordered everything, just edit it in.
    Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jul 3 2007 2:14 PM In reply to

• sean90291
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 21 2005
    • Auckland
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,495

Hm. That makes sense. Thanks. I think it's a bit "retrograde," involving a couple extra steps compared to other programs. But that works.

Ctrl+dragging a track moves it up or down as well, but the problem is it doesn't change the "render order" (that is, if you drag V2 down below V1 and then try to use a key effect on the tracks, your foreground will still be the ORIGINAL V2 track, even though it's now on a lower level--after Ctrl+dragging--than the original V1. You can even re-name the tracks (right clicking), to make the new lower track V1 and the higher one V2, but Avid remembers internally that the lower track is a V2 track and your key effect will not work properly.

• Tue, Jul 3 2007 2:49 PM In reply to

• Butcher
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 17 2006
    • Jacksonville, FL
    • Posts 1,442
    • Points 18,650

You're completely right that moving the physical placement of the tracks in your timeline does not change how Avid sees the tracks--V1 will always be V1, whether it's on the bottom of your stack or the top.

Remember, After Effects is a compositing app that's designed to layer video and graphics.  You can't put more than one piece of video per layer, so for editing it's awful.  For compositing--it's great.  You move 1 layer and you know you're not messing up anything else later down the timeline that you forgot.

Same goes for Avid and rearranging tracks--it's great for editing and isn't too great at compositing.  You can do some great stuff in it, but it will take quite a few more steps to achieve your result than a dedicated compositing app like AE or Shake.

One thing that may help you--Ctrl+Y adds a video track.  Alt+Ctrl+Y will let you choose which video track to add.  This is nice if you want V1 to be above V2.  Alt+Ctrl+Y, choose V2--it will tell you it already exists.  Add it anyway and you can "Insert" a new V2 track, moving everything upon V2 and above up a track.  Now Left to Right lasso everything on V1 and it will select all the clips and put you into segment mode.  Move them up one track.  Lasso everything on V2, move them to V1.  They're now swapped. 

Also, to use Larry's suggestion but keep it all in one sequence--Mark In/Outs and select the tracks you want to swap, hit Alt+C to copy them to the the source monitor, repatch and cut it right back into your sequence.  Voila, your tracks are swapped.

It's safter to do what Larry suggested, though--making a new sequence, in case you need to go back to the original, but I thought I'd share a few other ways.

Mike.

• Tue, Jul 3 2007 5:47 PM In reply to

• Paris MkVI
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Norfolk, VA USA
    • Posts 415
    • Points 5,010

Friend, don't think of the Avid as retrograde. Remember its film cutting roots going back as far as EditDroid. Sure, it lets you work in the nonlinear environment, but it maintains a film "touch" for the pros who were always (and only) accustomed to that workflow.

Wanted a different edit to compare? You souped another DUPLICATE from the neg and cut it for comparison. You didn't "undo". That's why you are opening a new sequence and re-patching tracks.

Not to mention the good points Larry and Butcher made. When you look at the total population Avid is meant to serve, the workflow makes sense.
    MCA 2.8.3 on Dell 490 • 4GB Ram • Quadro FX3500 Driver 6.14.10.9185 • Avid rs146 x 2 striped as one • 2 internal 500 GB SATA drives. Edit monitor: Sony... [view my complete system specs]

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (Proverbs 15:1 NIV)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller