Latest post Wed, May 25 2022 7:04 PM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 25 2022 5:02 PM

• Adrian Redmond
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, May 28 2014
    • Channel 6 Television Denmark
    • Posts 243
    • Points 3,475

AAF ???

Can anyone give me a simple conceptual explanation of AAF file exports and what they are used for?

I am currently editing a series of films - each with its own seuence but within the same avid MC project and sharing common raw material - and the client may require aaf files - so I'm interested in knowing whether aaf data is exported for an entire project or for a single timeline sequence?

I undertstand that this is a way of transfering data between workstations/editors, but I know nothing about the concept and how it works in practice and I am unable to find any explanation that doesn't rely on understanding a lot of the terminology first.

Help anyone? Or suggestions to good sources of explanations?

thanks!

Avid Media Composer v. 8.5.3. with Symphony Option on HP Z820 Dual Intel E5-4650 8-core HT 2.6GHz CPU with 32GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K4000 Graphics on Win7x64... [view my complete system specs]

Adrian Redmond
    Owner / Producer / Editor
    Channel 6 Television Denmark

• Wed, May 25 2022 7:04 PM In reply to

Re: AAF ???

AAFs only transfer a single sequence of metadata (and optionally media)

It's used a lot to send a finished offline to a sound dub. And if round tripping to say resolve for a grade.

But between Avid Media Composer systems you send bins.

Or a whole project if needed. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller