Latest post Tue, Nov 30 2021 6:44 PM by DIESELE. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 29 2021 3:20 PM

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 28 2008
    • Posts 1,283
    • Points 15,830

Should I change to the new version by now?

Still running 2018.12.14.  VERY stable indeed.  I use the newfangled messy bins version at a few facilities and still dislike it despite persevering.  It does seem more responsive to inputs but that pales into insignificance when i click 'find bin' and it cant!  I've also read a few posts here and it seems recording a voice over in live can be problematic? Utter dealbreaker.

So still hold off or go for the latest messy bins version and accept the need to hide the excessive amounts of project window tabs regularly?  In fact is there a tutorial somewhere with tips on how to manage the bins - shouldnt be necessary but all the editors at the facilities that I picked their brains just floated bins and lived with it, grudgingly.

Ultimate 2022.12.1, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, WIN 11 on 7000Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro P4000, Asus Pro Art Z690 i9 12900k 5.0 GHz, 8TB M.2 SSD - its nippy!

• Mon, Nov 29 2021 3:37 PM In reply to

Re: Should I change to the new version by now?

Aren't floating bins operating the same as prior to the Docked layout update?

Granted you now get effectively the project window in each bin container but yiu can drag the divider and hide that.

For simple projects on a 2 screen system (with a 3rd fullscreen output monitor) I find having docked bins fine and will have a mixture of bin containers docked. Some with tabbed bins inside others showing just one bin.

For very large projects I tend to use the bin layout options to "store" my bin layouts and recall them as needed.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E [email protected]

• Mon, Nov 29 2021 3:51 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,283
    • Points 15,830

Thankls for the tips. Does your 'find bin' work on your simple projects system Pat?  I never knew I used 'find bin' so much but on shared projects with bins I didnt name or organise I find it very useful. 

Ultimate 2022.12.1, Blackmagic Intensity Pro, WIN 11 on 7000Mbps M.2 SSD, Nvidia Quadro P4000, Asus Pro Art Z690 i9 12900k 5.0 GHz, 8TB M.2 SSD - its nippy!

• Mon, Nov 29 2021 6:13 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

Granted you now get effectively the project window in each bin container but yiu can drag the divider and hide that.

There really really needs to be an option to permanently disable this side bar on all new bins. This was one of the first things I noticed on the new version and I hate it. Maybe I'm missing something or a setting somewhere but this is always the case right? Every new bin opens with the sidebar? The bin docking system they have dreamed up is totally unintuitive for something that is literally the heart of your project organisation. There was nothing wrong with the 2018 system, they could have saved all that time and addressed some other issue instead.

Am I right about the bin sidebar thing? There's no site setting to disable that? Would love to be wrong.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 30 2021 3:54 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

Pat Horridge:

There really really needs to be an option to permanently disable this side bar on all new bins. This was one of the first things I noticed on the new version and I hate it. Maybe I'm missing something or a setting somewhere but this is always the case right? Every new bin opens with the sidebar? The bin docking system they have dreamed up is totally unintuitive for something that is literally the heart of your project organisation. There was nothing wrong with the 2018 system, they could have saved all that time and addressed some other issue instead.

Am I right about the bin sidebar thing? There's no site setting to disable that? Would love to be wrong.

Andi

There's already a feature request submitted for this: MCCET-4074.

Hopefully this might be something we see soon. I don't like how it takes up so much horizontal space on projects where I might only have 5-10 bins. On larger projects I don't mind it at all though. 

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.12.2 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.21 | Sibelius Artist 2022.12 

• Tue, Nov 30 2021 6:44 PM In reply to

• DIESELE
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,283
    • Points 15,830

Thanks guys.  I think I will still hold off till 2022 as the stable familiar with a non confusing bin system is prefferable - the fairly recent docking of several tabs in a bin as per current (older) vers is great - well until you reopen the project and Avid has closed down ALL the bins for probably a good reason unbeknown to me! I did love the quicker sharper reactions of the new version though and the ability to NOT auto select filler when selecting right or left all tracks.. Cheers.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller