Latest post Fri, Oct 1 2021 1:19 PM by knejmann. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 29 2021 6:16 AM

Backwards compatibility of projects in an Interplay environment

Hi All,

A combination of unfortunate events caused one of our clients to end up in a difficult situation. Details on that in another rant soon to come. What matters for all users is to avoid using Nexis client 2021.5 through 2021.8.1 at all cost on any server or client.

This customer decided this summer it was time to upgrade from MC 2018.12.15 + Interplay 2018.11 to MC 2021.6 with Interplay 2021.3. For various reasons/bugs this upgrade exposed some issues that hopefully will be resolved soon in the next patches of Media composer and Media Indexer (The media indexer fix has already been released when I write this but not tested yet)

The ongoing problems made the customer decide to roll back to MC 2018.12.15 with Media Indexer 2018.11.1 on client and server leaving interplay engine in the unsupported updated 2021.3 version. Of course rolling back is and was never supported. Avid support also confirmed. Practically though moving projects and bins between newer and older versions wasn't causing mayor issues. This has changed!

What the current cause is of the observed problems: Random Media offline, remains difficult to determine. The redesign of Dynamic relink seems to play a role but it might also be caused by non dynamic relink related bugs in MC 2021.6. Because of the unsupportedness of the setup now support can't help.

This is both a request for information if anybody has any knowledge he/she can share on this matter and a warning to hold back on upgrading mediacentral systems until Avid has released further patches on the media composer side (and Nexis!).

Thanks 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Fri, Oct 1 2021 1:19 PM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 280
    • Points 3,150

Re: Backwards compatibility of projects in an Interplay environment

Hi Jeroen,

I am not sure if this is related but there are versions of Nexis Client that do not handle non-ASCII letters like the danish Æ, Ø and Å or german ü well.

MediaFiles containing theese letters are not readable by MC.

And if I open a folder with projects where one of the names contain theese letters the Avid FOS service stops (silently).

This applies to at least 20.12.0.9. I don't know if this is a known bug. We've rolled back to 20.7.3.10.

Media Composer 2020.12.6 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller