Latest post Thu, Jul 29 2021 7:29 AM by Martin Fox. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 15 2021 1:48 PM

Avid Artist Mix with Media Composer Setup Error

Hi all, I'm getting the error 'EUCON Controller failed to initialize. Please verify that the Euphonix software is properly installed' when trying to select my Artist mix as my controller, under controller settings in MC

See screenshot: https://community.avid.com/members/philipkapadia/files/Screenshot-2021_2D00_07_2D00_15-144239.png.aspx

I know it is properly installed, as the Artist mix lights are lighting up, and also it all works perfectly well in Adobe Audition, just not Avid Media Composer.

I'm trying to set it up via the controller settings in MC

Any help would be appreciated!

https://philipkapadia.com/my-equipment [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 17 2021 9:45 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 851
    • Points 10,900

Re: Avid Artist Mix with Media Composer Setup Error

Are you saying that the Artist mix is working in Audition, but not in MC?

I'm not familiar with how Audition works with Avid surfaces, but it may not be using Eucon at all.

For example, the Baselight Editions Avid plugin will work with the Artist Color, but communicates directly with the panel via it's IP address. In fact, you either need to kill the Eucon services or remove the panel from the Eucon's list of 'My Surfaces'.

Philip Kapadia:
    I know it is properly installed, as the Artist mix lights are lighting up

Not sure what you mean by 'lights'. The various panels will light when powered, but that doesn't mean Eucon is seeing them.

On my Artist Color, when the Eucon services aren't running, you get a row of 'Avid' illuminating the display. When Eucon starts up, these change to a series of rectangular boxes, which signals a successful connection.

If you are getting an initialisation error, I suspect that Eucon is not running correctly. I'm assuming you can't open up the Eucon panel and look at the assignment of the surfaces (Avid's name for the panels you have). Without Eucon, you won't be able to assign your panels for use within MC.

I don't know what version of Eucon you've installed. I've heard of problems with some of the newer versions. The user base of people using the Artist range with MC is quite small, so information is hard to come by. It doesn't help that Avid have also made some of their panels (eg. the Artist Color) as End-Of-Life and won't support them.

I have had an Artist Mix and Color working fine on my HPZ workstation for a number of years now. I installed Eucon 3.6.1 which wasn't the latest version, but was recommended as a working version. I believe some of the newer versions only really address features for ProTools, so I suggest you try uninstalling Eucon and reinstalling v.3.6.1

There's also the issue of assigning a static IP address to your panels (rather than being assigned by DHCP) but I think you need to get Eucon working first. Without it, I don't see how you'll be able to assign your panel for use in MC.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 17 2021 10:42 AM In reply to

Bruno M:

Are you saying that the Artist mix is working in Audition, but not in MC?

I'm not familiar with how Audition works with Avid surfaces, but it may not be using Eucon at all.

For example, the Baselight Editions Avid plugin will work with the Artist Color, but communicates directly with the panel via it's IP address. In fact, you either need to kill the Eucon services or remove the panel from the Eucon's list of 'My Surfaces'.

Philip Kapadia:
    I know it is properly installed, as the Artist mix lights are lighting up

Not sure what you mean by 'lights'. The various panels will light when powered, but that doesn't mean Eucon is seeing them.

On my Artist Color, when the Eucon services aren't running, you get a row of 'Avid' illuminating the display. When Eucon starts up, these change to a series of rectangular boxes, which signals a successful connection.

If you are getting an initialisation error, I suspect that Eucon is not running correctly. I'm assuming you can't open up the Eucon panel and look at the assignment of the surfaces (Avid's name for the panels you have). Without Eucon, you won't be able to assign your panels for use within MC.

I don't know what version of Eucon you've installed. I've heard of problems with some of the newer versions. The user base of people using the Artist range with MC is quite small, so information is hard to come by. It doesn't help that Avid have also made some of their panels (eg. the Artist Color) as End-Of-Life and won't support them.

I have had an Artist Mix and Color working fine on my HPZ workstation for a number of years now. I installed Eucon 3.6.1 which wasn't the latest version, but was recommended as a working version. I believe some of the newer versions only really address features for ProTools, so I suggest you try uninstalling Eucon and reinstalling v.3.6.1

There's also the issue of assigning a static IP address to your panels (rather than being assigned by DHCP) but I think you need to get Eucon working first. Without it, I don't see how you'll be able to assign your panel for use in MC.

You have an artist colour... My sympathies. lol!

Thank you for taking the time to write up such a detailed response, much appreciated!

It is indeed, It's working with adobe audition and premiere pro perfectly. The adobe suite connects to EUCON, not directly to the artist mix controller.

The artist mix seems to now FINALLY be working with MC, but I have to say, it's a tiny bit janky. Sometimes into a 10+ hour MC session the Artist mix hangs up. (after a whole day of work and switching applications.. etc). I solved the original issue of MC not seeing eucon at all by restarting my system multiple times, re-installing MC and the driver, and cleaning up windows in general. I have not the slightest clue as to why it wasn't working in the first place, which is never good because I don't want it to stop working when I have a client sitting behind me. Worst type of fix as far as I'm concerned. Eucon was running correctly all along, I suspect it's something to do with MC talking to Eucon, not Eucon talking to the controller. 

https://philipkapadia.com/my-equipment [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 17 2021 11:07 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 851
    • Points 10,900

Philip Kapadia:

You have an artist colour... My sympathies. lol!

Weirldy, although the Artist Color is pretty laggy (to the point of being unusable) when working with the Symphony CC, it works really well with Resolve and Baselight Editions.

Given that these are EOL and can be picked S/H for a few hundred pounds, they are a bargain for anyone who wants to dabble with a grading surface and doesn't want to spend over a thousand on something comparable.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 23 2021 5:15 PM In reply to

• rodpaul
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 106
    • Points 1,445

I've been having the same problem - have even done clean Windows install, along with everything else. Been working with support for several weeks, no luck. Happens whenever computer is restarted. Retreiving previous sequence from the Attic solves the problem until the next restart. My Color surface works great with Baselight. Also have Artist Mix.

Dell T3600T 12 Cores 3.5 ghz Intel 32GRAM K4200 Windows 10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 29 2021 7:29 AM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 281
    • Points 2,980

Yes my Eucon software has gone AWOL too- see 

Avid Control version mismatch

in the avid artist forum.

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller