Latest post Tue, Jul 6 2021 6:34 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 5 2021 8:30 AM

WARNING HP z4 bios 2.71 (and 2.73) breaks network config

Hi all,

For those of you using HP z4 workstation I would just like to warn you that the latest bios update changes one of the network ports pci location which causes windows to loose the old nic and detect a new one.

This of course results in the machine loosing the static TCP/IP setup for that nic. Because the device ID for the software license is Mac address based this does not cause the license to fail however, On dual connected systems it can affect the binding order which causes the device ID to be based on the second nic which will cause activation failure.

What is worrying is that (with HP support assistant installed) either microsoft updates or HP automatically installs the bios update without informing the user. 

At one site where all systems are connected to the internet most of the HP z4 workstations automatically installed the bios update causing network issues, teamviewer id changes and on some dual conncted systems license issues.

be warned. 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Mon, Jul 5 2021 9:03 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,420

Re: WARNING HP z4 bios 2.71 breaks network config

Thanks for the heads up Jeroen. Just from my use the HP Image Assistant (the replacement for the Softpaq download manager) is more reliable for enterprise than Support Assistant - I updated the bios this weekend from the website - it didn't show up in SA, for example. HP have not yet rolled out bios updates for my ZBook to MS update. I use static TCP/IP for Avid Artist Mix and have not seen a change on that, good to watch out for though.Yes

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 5 2021 4:43 PM In reply to

And it gets even worse...

At one customer we placed Intel pt1000 cards in pci slot3 for 2G connection to Nexis and onboard nic for internet..

After the bios update... the pt1000 nic can't be activated (code10) in windows. Trying other slots tomorrow.

What a mess HP!!!

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jul 6 2021 1:40 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 851
    • Points 10,900

This is nothing new.

I remember over 10 years ago, our HP workstations all failed to connect to Unity one morning. 

Turns out that something had caused our machines to swap over to the second Ethernet port on the back of our workstations.

Never did find out what caused it, but I did suspect some silent update.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Decklink 4K, Symphony 2020, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 6 2021 6:34 PM In reply to

Well... moving the PT1000 to slot 5 did the trick... fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller