Latest post Thu, Jun 10 2021 11:56 PM by Fazz Powell. 50 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 4 2021 5:43 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,921
    • Points 70,115

Re: Anyone using nvidia RTX 3070 with a 2021 MC?

Hi nigelgourley, if You search the forums You'll find plenty of threads regarding Windows monitor setup at OS level and MC weird beheaviour. As for the Timeline and Composer window placement over the right monitor, this has been the default since the '90s, don't know if it's required, nor if it's documented, but out of experience I came to the conclusion that MC works best like that.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Jun 4 2021 6:07 PM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,865
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Alan C.:

smyers63:

Has this problem going back through multiple MC versions been on the same computer or has this happened with other computers?  Has it happened on different versions of Windows?

This is a brand new computer Scott.  It has no history, purchased specifically as an editing workstation just a few months ago.  Media Composer 2021.2 was the first software installed.  I also have Reaper and Davinci Resolve, VideoProc, Libre and a few other odds and ends, but it's essentially for editing only.  The other programs work great, no glitches whatsoever.  In fact MC works great on it too, except for this one area - switching Workspaces.

I'm a little confused.  I had asked before about the last version of MC where workspaces worked for you and you said MC 6.  I thought that meant you have used other intermediate versions of MC on the same computer where MC 6 had worked before and none worked beyond MC 6.

I'm trying to narrow down what changed between the time workspaces were working and when they stopped working.  What where the changes in MC version, specific computer system, and OS (Windows) version between workspaces working and workspaces not working?

Did the problem start when you started using a different computer?  Did it start when you changed Windows versions or updated the existing Windows installation (through Windows Update, for example)?  Have you always used MC on Windows? Did it start when you changed MC versions?  Answers to each of these are important.  More than one of these changes could be in play, so any combination of "yesses" is possible.

Scott

• Sat, Jun 5 2021 12:44 AM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

Did the problem start when you started using a different computer?  Did it start when you changed Windows versions or updated the existing Windows installation (through Windows Update, for example)?  Have you always used MC on Windows? Did it start when you changed MC versions?  Answers to each of these are important.  More than one of these changes could be in play, so any combination of "yesses" is possible.

My apologies Scott, I've provided this information before, but not in this particular thread.

This problem has only surfaced on this new computer with the 2021 versions of MC.

Formerly I used MC version 6 on a Windows 7 computer.  Initially I had some problems with it also, ironically the graphics card was the problem.  When I replaced the graphics card I was able to run MC v6 faultlessly for the next decade or so.  I could count the number of freezes or crashes I had on one hand I reckon.  It's been an absolute dream, rock solid.
    Obviously now I'm questioning my decision to upgrade.  I figured I'd replace the computer before troubles began to arise, and also I was limited to 1080p projects. 

So yes, all information provided on my problem pertains only to my new W10 computer and the 2021 version of MC, and has been going on since March.

Intel 10th Gen i9-10900F CPU. ASUS Intel Z490 Chipset TUF PLUS GAMING ATX OEM Motherboard 32GB Kingston DDR4 3200 MHz Gaming RAM with Heatsink. NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 5 2021 1:00 AM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

luca.mg:

Hi Alan, page 37, chapter "Setting up the NVIDIA card". I'd take a look at the trim settings within MC too, there should be something regarding realtime playback or similiar which may be related, as soon as I reach an Avid I'll check to provvide more accurate info. Also make sure that the main Windows monitor is number 1 on the left side, and that the Timeline and the Composer window are on monitor 2.

Thanks Luca, I'm in the process of checking some of these things.

First off, in the Desktop dropdown in the NVIDIA control panel, there is no 'Video editing mode'.

In Manage 3d settings, I have no Base Profile item.

I've changed Power Management Mode to maximum performance.

Although I have Monitor 2 on the left and Monitor 1 on the right, Monitor 2 is definitely my Primary Monitor and has my folders and icons.

I've never heard of the requirement to have Timeline and Monitors on the right side monitor either.  A couple of my Workspaces in V6 on my W7 computer had Timelines or Monitors on the left side monitor and I never encountered any problems whatsoever.  Lucky sometimes, not so lucky others Smile .

Intel 10th Gen i9-10900F CPU. ASUS Intel Z490 Chipset TUF PLUS GAMING ATX OEM Motherboard 32GB Kingston DDR4 3200 MHz Gaming RAM with Heatsink. NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 5 2021 7:00 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,420

You will not have "Video editing mode' because your card is not a Quadro. One thing nobody has mentioned is to open console command to see what's going on - it's the first thing I do if there is a problem (copy and paste that info here if you are unsure of what it means). Secondly, media cache settings has been mentioned here, what are your settings there? Thirdly check your video display settings, if 'dual copy engine' is defaulted uncheck it. Your problem is highly unlikely to be Media Composer per se or your pc specs but there is a pc configuration problem going on I would guess.

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 5 2021 10:05 AM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

Mercer:

You will not have "Video editing mode' because your card is not a Quadro. One thing nobody has mentioned is to open console command to see what's going on - it's the first thing I do if there is a problem (copy and paste that info here if you are unsure of what it means). Secondly, media cache settings has been mentioned here, what are your settings there? Thirdly check your video display settings, if 'dual copy engine' is defaulted uncheck it. Your problem is highly unlikely to be Media Composer per se or your pc specs but there is a pc configuration problem going on I would guess.

Thank you for your input.
    Console information is attached.
    Cache settings, thumbnails, Disc Cache size is 200 mb, Memory Cache size 120mb
    Source Browser, Disc 200mb, Memory 100mb
    Video memory, low 2Gb, high, 22Gb

Unchecked dual copy engine.

Thank you.

• Sat, Jun 5 2021 1:26 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,420

Hi Alan, in Video Memory the disparity between high and low is too large - try 4GB and 6 or 8 gb respectively. No errors cry out in your console, except you only have 2GB of free memory and I'm not sure why. It could be connected to the video memory high setting.

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 6 2021 11:05 PM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

Mercer:

Hi Alan, in Video Memory the disparity between high and low is too large - try 4GB and 6 or 8 gb respectively. No errors cry out in your console, except you only have 2GB of free memory and I'm not sure why. It could be connected to the video memory high setting.

Thank you Mercer.  No errors should be good news, but in this case it's not.  If I knew what was wrong I could fix it.

I can't seem to change those Cache settings either.  When I select the Low or High tab and adjust the slider, the settings go back to 2Gb and 22Gb.  What's the trick with adjusting?

• Mon, Jun 7 2021 11:32 PM In reply to

• ns400r
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 9 2011
    • Nova Scotia/Toronto
    • Posts 52
    • Points 750

Possibilities:

- It's possible you have a memory leak and or processor issue

- Driver issues

- The Avid Media Composer code does not like something on your computer. Try another video card and reinstall     drivers

- Cards in wrong PCI slots

- The heavens saying to take a break from editing

WIN10 - 128GB ram, 2x GTX1080TI, i9-10940x, QNAP TVS-872XT, 64TB 10G NAS Been on Avid since 1996. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 8 2021 9:28 PM In reply to

• aVienna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 21 2006
    • Posts 89
    • Points 1,040

wanted also suggest you check your PC memory: Download memtest86 free edition, and boot PC from the memtest86 usb stick. Takes long.  Alternatively, use  a memory test which your PC may have built in. Boot PC and press ESC key or F10 to see the options.

specs removed because of a public disclosure of my personally identifiable information [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 9 2021 12:48 AM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

ns400r:

Possibilities:

- It's possible you have a memory leak and or processor issue

- Driver issues

- The Avid Media Composer code does not like something on your computer. Try another video card and reinstall     drivers

- Cards in wrong PCI slots

- The heavens saying to take a break from editing

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've spent a few hours over the last two days at the bench in the workshop of the computer supplier.  The short of it is that I can rule out your points 1, 2 and 4.  Point 3 is something I've suspected for some time, but I can now rule that out also.

Point 5 I would only consider after point 6 and 7 that I would add to yours.  They are:

-  Move to another editing program like Premiere or Vegas
    -  Modify my workflow habit from what I have been using in MC V6 all these years, and avoid using the Workspace option Link To Settings, and also Bin Layouts.  When I don't use either of those options, MC happily and instantaneously switches Workspaces without crashing.  Of course that means totally diregarding my disappointment and exasperation that my new computer teamed with the latest MC won't allow me to utilise something that was comfortable second nature in MC V6 on a Windows 7 machine, but I can cope with that compared to the crashing issue.

So that's my take away from this lengthy saga, Point 7 it is.

• Wed, Jun 9 2021 1:00 AM In reply to

• Alan C.
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Queensland, Australia
    • Posts 300
    • Points 4,000

I would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to all you experienced, knowledgeable, talented and generous folk who have tried to assist me with the frustration I have been dealing with over the past months. 

You've all been very helpful and I appreciate it.  I've learned a lot Smile .

My computer supplier changed me into a Quadro P2200 and installed me onto a higher specification 11th Gen computer, neither of which made a difference.  I've alluded to what does avoid crashing in my previous post, i.e. I won't be using the Workspace option Link To Settings, or Bin Layouts.

• Wed, Jun 9 2021 2:20 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,921
    • Points 70,115

Alan C.:
    My computer supplier changed me into a Quadro P2200 and installed me onto a higher specification 11th Gen computer, neither of which made a difference.

Tough to believe that a Quadro setup did the same outcome. Was it running the Avid approved driver? Was it tuned according to the Readme file? Glad You've found a workaround, but still the software does not work as it should...

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jun 9 2021 3:16 PM In reply to

Alan C.:

I would like to extend a heartfelt thank you to all you experienced, knowledgeable, talented and generous folk who have tried to assist me with the frustration I have been dealing with over the past months. 

You've all been very helpful and I appreciate it.  I've learned a lot Smile .

My computer supplier changed me into a Quadro P2200 and installed me onto a higher specification 11th Gen computer, neither of which made a difference.  I've alluded to what does avoid crashing in my previous post, i.e. I won't be using the Workspace option Link To Settings, or Bin Layouts.

As soon as I get my head out of Uni marking I'll have a play. To be honest few editor link settings to workspaces and I do remember an issue many years ago that pushed me away from using it and I've not gone back.

Be useful if you could give me more info on the link settings that you are using so I can replicate.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Wed, Jun 9 2021 3:38 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 476
    • Points 6,550

I was about to say "get a room you guys". :) There's a bunch of very cool and helpful folks in this forum. My 2 cents: I seriously doubt it's the RTX307 and you're taking a big step backward IMHO. There's quite a lot of non-AVID-certified RTX2XXX and RTX3XXX's out there. I have a RTX2060 in a non-certified ASUS 15 ZenBook Pro, 1.5 monitors. And in  certified HP840. Benchmark shows a score of 52 for the P2200, which is 105 of 664 and 98 for the RTX3070, an impressive 12 of 664. Do you use Resolve? If so CUDA cores are important. 1280 vs 6144. https://bit.ly/3gkfX1k

MC 2020.06 w/Symphony option. BlackMagic DeckLink 12G, HP Z840 Dual 3.2Ghz/8 Core, 1TB SSD, 1TB Cache drive, 128GB Ram, Nvidia RTX2060 Super, BCC2020,... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

Page 3 of 4 (51 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller