Latest post Fri, Feb 12 2021 12:10 AM by Philip Owens. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 11 2021 12:41 AM

Import non-UME formats - workflow?

Re. bringing media into 2020.12 - here's my current workflow, which is clunky to say the least.   What can I do to improve this?

1. Download a clip from, say, Getty - it's an mp4

2. Transcode to .mxf using Shutter Encoder

3. Move .mxf files into my most recent working MXF folder

4. Quit Avid (becasuse File > Media > Refresh Media Databases does nothing btw)

5. Restart Avid

6. Open Media Tool.  (It's a huge project so beachballs)

7. Change Media Tool bin view to one showing Media Creation date (beachball)

8. Click on Creation Date column (beachball)

9. Sort Reverse Creation Date (beaachball)

10. Drag now visible new media clips into my own bin.

11. Get back to editing.

This is driving me insane.   Is there no better workflow to import .mov, .mp4, HEIC, etc etc - all these non-UME formats?

MBP 2020, 2.5Ghz 8 Core, 64GB RAM, 8GB VRAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 11 2021 6:11 AM In reply to

Re: Import non-UME formats - workflow?

Do steps 1 and 2 as you have been, then try this:

3. Source browser > import the .mxf file you created in step 2

4. Get back to editing

If that doesn't work, try this:

3. Source browser > link to the .mxf file you created in step 2

4. (optional) Transcode to whatever resolution you're working in

5. Get back to editing

Media Composer 2021.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Feb 11 2021 8:37 PM In reply to

OK, this helps greatly.   THe first part of your suggestrion doesn't work, as it cant import .mxf files, it seems (odd?), but the Link/Transcode option using the .mp4 works, and trancodes to .mxf anyway.

This actually seems to eliminate the need for Shutter Encoder?   And since the ability to import and transcode a .mp4 works via the Source Browser, why can't that functionality be applied to a direct drag-and-drop into a bin, as before?   Surely this is an easy thing to integrate?

• Thu, Feb 11 2021 8:43 PM In reply to

Philip Owens:

the Link/Transcode option using the .mp4 works, and trancodes to .mxf anyway.

This actually seems to eliminate the need for Shutter Encoder?

If you're able to link directly to the .mp4 files and then transcode them to whatever resolution you want to work in, then no, you don't need to convert them in Shutter Encoder first.

Media Composer 2021.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Thu, Feb 11 2021 9:19 PM In reply to

OK, one more question on this.  My team are all working remotely, and transferring MXF files and bins back and forth via WeTransfer.  But I was wrong - this Link/Transcode operation does NOT seem to create MXF files I can send to my colleagues?   How will my assistant be able to load this media clip once I send him my cuts bin?

• Thu, Feb 11 2021 10:13 PM In reply to

Philip Owens:

this Link/Transcode operation does NOT seem to create MXF files I can send to my colleagues?

Replying to my own message - I am incorrect.   Link/Transcode does indeed create MXF's - the difference is that MXF's created this way change the filename to random Avid filename strings, whereas, for example, importing a supported file type like .WAV creates Avid MXF media that at least begins with some of the characters from the source file, making it easy to identify.   Maybe Link/Transcode could support that?   And could this functionality not be just built into a drag-and-drop ingest, as used to be the case?

• Thu, Feb 11 2021 11:25 PM In reply to

In order to give you advice about how to get material from one person/system to another, it would probably help to know more about your workflow. Who gets the footage first? How does it get through the pipeline to delivery? What are you delivering?

Philip Owens:
    Maybe Link/Transcode could support that?   And could this functionality not be just built into a drag-and-drop ingest, as used to be the case?

There's a feature request forum. You should post there about what changes you'd like to see:

https://community.avid.com/forums/44.aspx

• Fri, Feb 12 2021 12:03 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,841
    • Points 46,370

Philip Owens:

Philip Owens:

this Link/Transcode operation does NOT seem to create MXF files I can send to my colleagues?

Replying to my own message - I am incorrect.   Link/Transcode does indeed create MXF's - the difference is that MXF's created this way change the filename to random Avid filename strings, whereas, for example, importing a supported file type like .WAV creates Avid MXF media that at least begins with some of the characters from the source file, making it easy to identify.   Maybe Link/Transcode could support that?   And could this functionality not be just built into a drag-and-drop ingest, as used to be the case?

I may be wrong but your message seems to show a basic misunderstanding of how Avid works with MXF media. 

There are two types of MXF files:  MXF-Op1a and MXF-OpAtom.

MXF-Op1a have the video and audio tracks muxed together in one file.  These are files often created by cameras and edit systems.

MXF-OpAtom has the video and audio file separated (one file each for video and however many audio files were in the source).  This is what is created when Avid either transcodes or consolidates a file and place into the Avid MediaFiles / MXF / (numbered file).

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Fri, Feb 12 2021 12:10 AM In reply to

jef:

...I may be wrong but your message seems to show a basic misunderstanding of how Avid works with MXF media.  

You are absolutely correct!   I've been using Media Composer since 1991, but am coming back to Avid after a long time away.   So I have a lot to learn, and I'm grateful for your response - I didn't know the difference between those two files types.   Thanks for claryifying.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller