Latest post Sat, Dec 22 2007 6:55 PM by Bumba220. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 3 2006 5:35 PM

• JMI
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 4 2006
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Graphics Card and Sound Card for XPress Pro

Can anyone recommend a good graphics card for Avid XPress Pro for the PC other than the one they have listed on Avids site?  

One of the guys from the IT department informed me that the Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 PCI Express Card is an older card and that there are better graphics card out there.  He recommended a Nvidia Quadro FX 3400/4400.  Would this card work better without problems?

Also, along with a good graphics card, what would you recommend for a sound card as well?

Thanks,
    JMI
  • Mon, Jul 3 2006 6:20 PM In reply to

• xyedit
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 2,119
    • Points 26,995

Re: Graphics Card and Sound Card for XPress Pro

JMI:
    Can anyone recommend a good graphics card for Avid XPress Pro for the PC other than the one they have listed on Avids site?  

One of the guys from the IT department informed me that the Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 PCI Express Card is an older card and that there are better graphics card out there.  He recommended a Nvidia Quadro FX 3400/4400.  Would this card work better without problems?

Also, along with a good graphics card, what would you recommend for a sound card as well?

Thanks,
    JMI

I have a real dumb question....

If you're in the market for another video card, Why would you want to

a)  Go off the approved list?
    b)  Get the 3400/4400 model when the supported ones (1300/1400) can be found cheaper?

I searched on PriceGrabber.com and the 3400/4400 came up ranging between ~$700-$1400, the 1300/1400 was in the ~$200-$400 range.

I didn't do well in Economics class, but I think the supported option would not only be cheaper, but also a guarantee that it will work with the software.

I'm using a FX500 just fine, the fact that it's an "older card" should have no real bearing on how well it works with the Avid software.  The video card does not have to be the latest generation in order to provide video overlay/playback. 

Dell PWS360 P4 2.4GHz 1.5GB RAM 80GB system drive 500GB internal SATA2 media drive >1TB... [view my complete system specs]
    Kenton VanNatten (will edit for money)
  • Mon, Jul 3 2006 6:25 PM In reply to

• Baklap
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Hilversum - The Netherlands
    • Posts 6,944
    • Points 82,400
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro PC

for now only gamers, 3d extremist require new cards.. the rest does just fine on the "older" cards Smile [:)]

Soundblaster Live the cheapest you can find... works great....

Menno
    35+ MC's - 224TB Isis - 2.2 PB Spectra T950 - Interplay - 2 Media Central's - 3 TM's - 2 STP's - 500 TB Isilon - 2 Vantage - MOG SPeedrail... [view my complete system specs]

Twitter Account

"If you do what you did you will get what you got!"

My Keys

• Tue, Jul 4 2006 5:17 PM In reply to

• MrMuddle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 23 2006
    • Swindon, UK
    • Posts 18
    • Points 190

Just my 2p: For anyone building a system on a budget, I'm using a PNY Quadro Fx 540 128MB PCI-E graphics card (so not approved), without any problems thus far. Using a SoundBlaster Live! 1024 as the onboard Realtek HD Audio on the motherboard will not work with Avid. (No surprise there though: onboard sound is best avoided at the best of times).
    ASUS P5WD2 PREMIUM motherboard Pentium D 930 Dual Core 3.00GHz CPU 2Gb DDR2 RAM 1 x Internal Seagate 60Gb PATA system drive 4 x Internal Seagate 300Gb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 4 2006 5:27 PM In reply to

I use an FX1300 for Video, and the Audigy 2ZS for audio.

Why would you want a more high end video card? Simple, future software, not unlike Boris Blue, will soon require it. The FX1300 is a 128 MB card. I myself would love a more advanced video card, as the software has proven to be moving more in the direction of taking advantage of strong OpenGL performers.

If you can afford it, and you intend to more than just edit with Avid, aka, use Boris Red, Blue, or 3D applications on the same system, then consider what card is both compatible with Avid, and serves all of the range of applications you will use best.

Alex Alexzander

• Mon, Jun 11 2007 5:40 AM In reply to

I actually have the same question. They are now making more powerful graphics cards. GPUs will always be expensive for the latest technology but you will see marked differences in performance when you have a really nice one.  Some of us wquld also like to run other programs on our machines which is not possible many times with older graphics cards.  For many of to put together a computer and do it right costs a lot of money and we NEED to be able to perform other operations on it.  So I think a valid question for anyone who might know the answer is, 

"Which of todays more powerful video cards have you used, or do you know to likely be, compatible with Avid Express Pro?". 

I thank anyone in advance for any information you may be able to provide.
  • Mon, Jun 11 2007 6:29 AM In reply to

• Doc Avid
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 17 2006
    • Los Angeles / Hollywood
    • Posts 2,321
    • Points 25,890

"How likely" doesn't pay the bills.

WORK. we all WORK here, and use editing systems to bill clients.

The graphics cards listed aren't ancient, they are simply the ones this software is written here.

JDS
    So many systems, so little space. So... everything Avid and a Hyundai Veloster Turbo. [view my complete system specs]

Jeff Sengpiehl ACSR Mac/PC/Unity/ISIS Los Angles CA AIM Docavid - Yahoo Docavid Join the Avid-L- It is ALL there: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avid-L2 http://tinyurl.com/zl6ez http://tinyurl.com/27qw4o for your Iphone

• Tue, Jun 12 2007 3:51 AM In reply to

I'm going to apologize in advance for double posting.  Didn't see this thread when I posted a new one earlier.

Has anybody used a Quadro FX1500 yet?  Seems to be similar to the FX1400 with double the RAM.  Avid Tech Support guys:  Will Avid support this card in a future release?

I don't think it's bad to talk about up-and-coming video cards.  I make a living shooting and editing as many of you do and I like STABLE gear for obvious reasons.  But as a business owner I have to get the most bang for the buck since I use After Effects and Encore DVD too.  And if a capable Nvidia card works well with Avid then I'd love to talk about that, even if it's not yet Avid-approved.  I'd much rather buy a newer card that has a chance at a longer service life than an older card that, while it's cheap, will most certainly be outdated sooner.  And who knows, I might just buy the Avid-approved card anyway, but it's okay to dialog about it.  Just my opinion.
    Avid Media Composer 2018.12 Intel i9 9900K desktop Windows 10 Pro 64GB RAM BlackMagic Design Decklink Mini Monitor Nvidia RTX2080 display card [view my complete system specs]

Jason Spencer, Director/DP/Editor digitallunchbox.com

• Tue, Jun 12 2007 8:56 AM In reply to

• NMLChrome
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 22 2006
    • UK
    • Posts 137
    • Points 1,705

I've been quoted for an approved machine with the 1500 included.

And according to this...

http://www.avid.com/products/xpresspro/specs.asp

...it is.

HP XW8600 approved system Media Composer 3 [view my complete system specs]

14 years and still incapable of using the trim tool

• Tue, Jun 12 2007 3:01 PM In reply to

For some reason, the FX1500 isn't in the 5.7 readme file.  But I'll definately consider it for the upgrade.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    Avid Media Composer 2018.12 Intel i9 9900K desktop Windows 10 Pro 64GB RAM BlackMagic Design Decklink Mini Monitor Nvidia RTX2080 display card [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jun 12 2007 9:50 PM In reply to

• chawilk
    • Not Ranked
    • Vancouver Canada
    • Posts 62
    • Points 815

I've recently upgraded to Express Pro HD.  My system is a Pentium 4 CPU 3GHz on an MSI 865pe neo 2v motherboard (AGP 8x) with 3 GB of ram.  Sound card is an M-Audio Delta Audiophile.  I've been using a mid range 128 ATI graphics card.  Everything's been working smoothly, from capture through broadcast on DV material.  But now I'll be working with HD 1080p footage from the Sony HVR-V1.  Although the system still functions with the ATI, I understand I'll need to get a 256 graphics card for HD. 

Buying a new MB and processor is not an option at the moment.  Would you recommend I go with a low cost card like the GE Force 7800 I noticed someone on the forums was using, or should I shop around for an NVidea Quatro FX 3000 AGP?  Or is there another more logical option.

Thanks
    MC 2018 4 PC. Intel Core i7 4930K 6 Core 3.4GHZ (3.9GHZ Turbo) 12MB Hyperthreading Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 4X8GB RAM, Nvidia Quatro P4000 Samsung... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 12 2007 10:13 PM In reply to

I recently used an Xpress Pro system (5.7) running on a P4 2.8, 2 GB ram, with a GeForce 6800 AGP 8x.  It works good enough for DV, but it doesn't get the realtime performance that it did with previous versions. In my experience an older GeForce card won't work very well for DVCPro HD.  In fact, I tried to playback a sequence in full quality with footage shot in 720p 24 native with this computer and it dropped frames every few seconds.  You may want to consider a Quadro card for stability's sake.

I'd be curious to see if anybody is successfully editing DVCProHD using a GeForce card...

• Wed, Jun 13 2007 1:39 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

wjasonspencer:
    For some reason, the FX1500 isn't in the 5.7 readme file.  But I'll definately consider it for the upgrade.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

The FX1500 isn't in the Media Composer 2.7 Read Me either, but according to the tech specs for MC, it's supported.
    Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 22 2007 6:55 PM In reply to

• Bumba220
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 25 2005
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

I bought my system for both gaming and editing.  It's a Dell XPS 600 with the nVidia nForce chipset.  It came with a GeForce 7800 GTX PCIe SLI card with 256mb ram (it's a beast of a card for graphics and gaming) and it worked fine with Xpress Pro with one caveat, I had to roll back the drivers to an earlier version or else I'd get a freeze frame on playback.  Now it's working fine.  But I wouldn't say this is a low cost option for a card, they're fairly pricy.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller