Latest post Tue, Oct 27 2020 8:43 AM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 26 2020 10:09 PM

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 396
    • Points 4,340

iMac fan noise due to playback

I hit play on a DNxHD36 source with two audio channels playing from Nexis and fan noise on my iMac goes up.  I can see CPU usage for AMC going from 17% to around 200%.   Then when I hit spacebar for stop AMC CPU usage goes down as does fan noise.  Why so stressful over just playing a source?   Nexis is coming in via two Ethernet ports -- one native and one USB-3-to-Ethernet adapter.

AMC 2018.12.10

Video:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/rKBLABqCYYwMBms78

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.10 / MacOS High Sierra / iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) / 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 27 2020 8:43 AM In reply to

Re: iMac fan noise due to playback

Well of course its not just playing back a source is is. During playback MC is preloading content in advance, decoding the DNx codec to uncompreseed media for display and numerous other tasks.

You could playing the same media in VLC and see what CPU usage you see but even then VLC isn't doing anything like as much work as MC during playback.

iMacs and laptops do suffer with heat build up and if its an older model the thermal CPU paste and dust build up will impact its ability to shed heat.

As a test leave the computer off over night and then fire up and playback the media with the computer still cold. My bet is its quiet until its been on a while and heated up.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller