Latest post Fri, Oct 9 2020 5:03 AM by LD. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 2 2020 4:34 AM

• LD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 10 2016
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Avid compatibility with Catalina

Hi all....I hope all is well 😁 I have posted back in April about thinking to get the latest MacBook Pro 2019 16 inch but decided to wait as Avid was not compatible with Catalina, so I was wondering do we have updates on that?

I have saved up for the MacBook pro with the configurations that I need, I would like to have the option to have both software Premiere and Avid, my preference is avid for editing work, just depends on the job.

Thanks

• Fri, Oct 2 2020 7:03 AM In reply to

Re: Avid compatibility with Catalina

Hi,

Media Composer 2020.x is compatible with Catalina, but there are a lot of limitations due to the lack of 32-bit app support in Catalina. Have a close look at this document for what you can and cannot do before you make any decisions.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNew_MediaComposer_v20.4.pdf

(I know it says '2020.4'. The limitations apply to all versions of 2020 with Catalina.)

Media Composer 2021.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Oct 3 2020 10:18 AM In reply to

Hi there!

Could you please tell me - is it possible to run usual version of MC on Catalina. 

Not Ultimate version, but usual MC.

Thanks a lot!

• Tue, Oct 6 2020 2:16 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,496
    • Points 27,615
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Danil,

The short answer is yes. MC is just a single installer the ability to launch Ultimate and regular depends on your license.

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 6 2020 11:07 PM In reply to

• LD
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Thanks guys....I read about it, it sounds like it does run but there are limitations?

• Wed, Oct 7 2020 6:13 AM In reply to

LD:

Thanks guys....I read about it, it sounds like it does run but there are limitations?

There are. They're detailed in the What's New document I posted about earlier in this thread.

Media Composer 2021.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Oct 7 2020 11:03 AM In reply to

We have 2020.9 just released and that works with Catalina but there are still some limitations.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Oct 7 2020 11:07 PM In reply to

• LD
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

I have read it thank you. I think I will go ahead and get the MacBook pro and hope in the future they will release Avid update with no limitations.

• Wed, Oct 7 2020 11:08 PM In reply to

• LD
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Thank you....do you reckon in the future there will be an update of Avid without limitations? I am Kern on the new MacBook pro 16 inch.

• Thu, Oct 8 2020 12:37 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,529
    • Points 235,115
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

LD

Yes as with every release there are improvements... as there are with catalina itself.  I know the test team is working on new machine recommendations and once they are done, Raff will be updating the knowledgeBase article.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 9 2020 5:03 AM In reply to

• LD
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Thanks for that Marianna.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller