Latest post Sat, Sep 26 2020 12:24 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 24 2020 9:19 PM

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 341
    • Points 4,035

Scratch removal render corruption

I added a scratch removal effect to a clip and then rendered it. It took over 4 hours to do a 5 min 4K clip and then it was corrupted throughout - see grab (orig image on left hand monitor with corrupted image on right hand one. The clip was fine before render and all other timelines in this project are working fine. This shot had an blended interpolated slo mo and frame flex but those alone rendered fine. The scratch removal seemed to cause the corruption. Any advice?

Thanks

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 24 2020 10:22 PM In reply to

Re: Scratch removal render corruption

What's your intention with the scratch removal effect? Are you trying to remove actual scratches or are you using it for something else like freezing a section of the frame?

I use it all the time to freeze part of a frame (for example if someone pokes their head in to shot etc) and it will take a fair while to render but nothing like 4 hours. I'd have crashed out after 5 mins tops. Have you cleared the effect and reapplied? Do you get the same render time? How long does it take on another clip of similar length without any other effects on it? To be fair I am working in a 1080p project but 4 hours for 5 mins is not right.

I like the scratch removal effect for freezing portions of things but if I want to remove wires etc I normally use Resolve's wire removal mode which seems to have more parameters to tweak. Unless it's relatively still in which case I'll use Photoshop to make a clean plate. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 25 2020 8:53 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 341
    • Points 4,035

ripvanmarlowe:

What's your intention with the scratch removal effect? Are you trying to remove actual scratches or are you using it for something else like freezing a section of the frame?

I use it all the time to freeze part of a frame (for example if someone pokes their head in to shot etc) and it will take a fair while to render but nothing like 4 hours. I'd have crashed out after 5 mins tops. Have you cleared the effect and reapplied? Do you get the same render time? How long does it take on another clip of similar length without any other effects on it? To be fair I am working in a 1080p project but 4 hours for 5 mins is not right.

I like the scratch removal effect for freezing portions of things but if I want to remove wires etc I normally use Resolve's wire removal mode which seems to have more parameters to tweak. Unless it's relatively still in which case I'll use Photoshop to make a clean plate. 

Andi

Thank you. I want to remove two small points of light in a locked off image so pretty simple really. I just tried the scratch removal effect on the orginal clip without any other effects and I got the following error message... I am working with Resolve more and more and always grade on it now so I'll try the wire removal on that. Thanks for the advice.

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 25 2020 8:54 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 341
    • Points 4,035

I apolgise that my screen grabs are coming up huge in my posts - not sure how to get round that.

• Fri, Sep 25 2020 11:35 AM In reply to

If you just want to remove two small spots of light and the image is not moving I would probably just use the clone tool to paint from another point nearby in the image. If they are very small (like a pixel or two) then just place a small blur over them on a very low setting like 1 or 2 and you may get results that way. That's how I normally fix dead pixels and the like.

All those options are in the paint tool and unlike the scratch removal tool they are real time effects so you shouldn't even need to render in the first place.

I know what you mean about the screen grabs, I don't know why Avid can't fix the upload tool on the forum so it works properly! Infuriating! Typical Avid, create something decades ago and then leave it half done!

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Sep 25 2020 1:34 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 341
    • Points 4,035

ripvanmarlowe:

If you just want to remove two small spots of light and the image is not moving I would probably just use the clone tool to paint from another point nearby in the image. If they are very small (like a pixel or two) then just place a small blur over them on a very low setting like 1 or 2 and you may get results that way. That's how I normally fix dead pixels and the like.

All those options are in the paint tool and unlike the scratch removal tool they are real time effects so you shouldn't even need to render in the first place.

I know what you mean about the screen grabs, I don't know why Avid can't fix the upload tool on the forum so it works properly! Infuriating! Typical Avid, create something decades ago and then leave it half done!

Andi

Thank you - that seemed to work and was so much easier. I don't know why the remove scratch tool can't operate in a similar way when there are no additional keyframes i.e no tracking. And yes, there must be a lot of us who find the upload file option on this forum a real disaster.

• Sat, Sep 26 2020 12:24 PM In reply to

Glad it worked!

Andi

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller