Latest post Wed, Sep 23 2020 1:34 PM by Pat Horridge. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 22 2020 6:20 PM

• alara
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Madrid. Spain
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,440

Is it possible to have two avid versions in the same system? Paid license and Avid First simultaneously?

A long time ago, I think it was not possible, but the new activation screen gives me hope. I searched through the forums but I didn`t find anything new.

I have a perpetual (educational) license running in a  8.8.5 media composer. But I need to test the new Avid First, to learn the differences in order to teach my students. So the question: is it possible to have both installed in the same system? Because I do not want to lose the old license.

Thank you very much.

For jobs: Media composer 5.0.3.7r with a mojo sdi on a Mac intel Pro 3 GHz. 4 GB RAM External storage: 2.5 TB sata. Mac OS 10.6.8 As a teacher... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 22 2020 7:08 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,423
    • Points 26,725
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Is it possible to have two avid versions in the same system? Paid license and Avid First simultaneously?

HI alar, 

You can't have 8.8.5 and the new MCFirst in the same systems. But you can do this on the version 2018.8 since this released MC and MC|First is just a single installer and the status to open MC depends on AvidLink, if you activate the license you can run MCfull version deactivate the license and MC|First will launch.

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 23 2020 7:52 AM In reply to

• alara
    • Not Ranked
    • Madrid. Spain
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,440

Re: Is it possible to have two avid versions in the same system? Paid license and Avid First simultaneously?

Thank you Ralph

Then I suppose that, if I want to have both installed, I will have to pay for the full new version, or is it another way to renovate my educational license?

For jobs: Media composer 5.0.3.7r with a mojo sdi on a Mac intel Pro 3 GHz. 4 GB RAM External storage: 2.5 TB sata. Mac OS 10.6.8 As a teacher... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 23 2020 8:39 AM In reply to

Are you sure you want to engage with MC First?

Students can get regular MC for a small fee. MC First cna regualr MC aren't compatible in terms of swapping projects, bins etc and you have limited export and format support (projects)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Sep 23 2020 10:28 AM In reply to

• alara
    • Not Ranked
    • Madrid. Spain
    • Posts 112
    • Points 1,440

I totally agree about the advantages of regular Media Composer vs First. Especially as they usually start a project at school and need to finish it at home. But what may be a small fee for students in London or US is an unsurmountable fee for most my students.

• Wed, Sep 23 2020 1:34 PM In reply to

If you have to go the MC First route its really important to start off with the limitations and explain its not regular MC.

There is somewhere a comparrison between the 2 products.

More info on academic eligability. https://www.avid.com/academic-eligibility

But as long as its a valid educator I think you qualify.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller