Latest post Sat, Jul 25 2020 3:06 PM by Tom Cook. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 23 2020 12:45 AM

• Tom Cook
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Apr 25 2010
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,575

AMA Plug-In Continguous Samples Error???

Folks:

Running AMC 8.1.1 on a Dell XPS with 32 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro. Of coruse, all was going along fine until I laid in one last music clip and now the last twenty minutes or so (or an hour-long documentary episode) gives me the following error message the instant I try to play it –

Exception: Failed to get the number of contiguous samples from AMA plug-in.

Research I’ve done seemed to indicate this is an audio issue (maybe a n effect gone awry?) so I tried disbling my audio tracks to no avail (obviously AMC isn’t liking some AMA plugin all of a sudden… how do I determine which one it is? Should I then uninstall and try Reinstalling…?).

Since I was nearly done, I tried mixing down – video mixed down fine, audio froze with the error message when it got to that point in the Timeline…

Everything upstream (residing before this error on the Timeline) seems okay. I have two lengthy scenes and this error starts on the first shot of the scene, but then if I scroll and try to play any other shot downstream from there, same error…

Suggestions? As always, thanks.

Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Fri, Jul 24 2020 6:15 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: AMA Plug-In Continguous Samples Error???

HI there Tom.....

Can you take the content of the timeline and copy it to a new timeline?  Does it still happen?

Can you rebuild the media database(s)? Quit MC,  Move them ( i usually put them at the desktop level ) and relaunch MC.

If the wonkiness persists, perhaps the offending clip(s) even if it is more than one has been linked, or AMA linked, in the first place; trying to work with  the c:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\AMA Management\AMA Metadata Folders might fix the problem. AMA Metadata Folders are used by the Media Tool to keep track of linked files, so you should just move them all to a safe location ( folder on the desktop maybe )  and see if the problem stuff goes away; if that fixes the problem and you want to restore the data, you'll have to spot the relevant folder and get rid of it, trashing the "Managed AMA Media Folders.xml" file, which SHOULD be rebuilt when next running MC.

Report back.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 24 2020 8:50 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,575

Marianna:

Thanks for the reply and ideas. I tried copying the Timeline into a new one and got the same results. Thinking it was an effect issue, I went through and deleted each audio effect (mostly just crossfades) - no luck.

Haven't tried the database idea. When I relaunch MC, will the software automatically find to where I moved the databases? Will I need to direct it to the new site/folder?

I am able to play the original clip through VLC so I'm not thinking this is a corruption of the original file...?

Simuilar question on moving the AMA Metadata folder(s) - will MC automatically rebuild these upon startup if it cannot locate the old files/fodlers?

Will await your rpelies and then try all this. Thanks again.

Tom

Dell XPS720, quadcore 3.6 GHz, 28 GB RAM, Avid Media Composer v8.7.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 24 2020 9:31 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,323
    • Points 232,550
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Tom,

Im going to get support on this as I DONT want you to loose any files/media.

Stand by as I just created a case for you # 03988931

You should upgrade ( as should Keene )  and did you know that your Edu license needs to be reverified in MYAvid - log in as it is easy and doesnt cost you anything.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 25 2020 12:20 AM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,575

Marianna:

Appreciate the caution. Thanks for sticking with me...

Tom

• Sat, Jul 25 2020 3:06 PM In reply to

• Tom Cook
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Keene, NH
    • Posts 208
    • Points 2,575

My reply to Marianne and Ryan, in case my e-mail didn't reach you -

Ryan:

Thanks for sticking with me. Attached is a screenshot of my desktop, Timeline, open bins, etc. The current Timeline runs just under 44:00 – the spot where the issue begins is around 33:00.

When I play the +/- 10 second clip it runs for about six seconds then freezes, giving me the error you see in the screenshot. ANY time I play ANYTHING downstream from that point, I immediately get the error.

I am working on an eight-episode documentary and this is the first time I’ve encountered this error/problem (in Episode 5). Am continuing on to Episode 6 now and THUS FAR haven’t encountered the problem. (I have jerry-rigged a solution to this error… The Timeline I’m on now is revision four of the Episode – so I went back to a mixdown of revision three, copied the playable audio mixdown track from the 33:00 point onward, and laid it into the audio for revision four. It works but obviously I cannot make significant adjustments since these tracks are married…

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks again.

TC

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for contacting Avid. I have been assigned to assist you. Can you tell me more about the issue that you're experieincing?
    •What error message are you getting? Can you send a screenshot?
    •Is this happening to all your projects?
    •How many editors/workstations are affected?Any additional information will be helpful.
    Best Regards, 
    Ryan 
    Avid Customer Care

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller