Latest post Fri, Jun 5 2020 6:05 PM by Telegram!. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 4 2020 11:47 PM

Is it possible?

Hi, I'm using MC with a Single Monitor that is HDMI-connected to an Unsupported GTX-1070 video card. I have noticed that playing back an MXF directly from VLC has "better contrast" than the same playing on Source or Composer Monitor. I also notice that QuickTime Player has the same less-contrast look as my Source & Composer monitors.

Does MC provide a way to tweak the look of just those MC Monitors without changing the video card's look globally? Does the driver handle tweaks on a per-app basis? 

Will anyone using that video 1070 or similar GTX card let me know which driver version you are using? I'm on v2018.12.11. Thanks for any suggestions.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2020 2:22 AM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 687
    • Points 7,750

Re: Is it possible?

in mc, if you right click on either monitor. you can change the display color space: switch to rec.709 (full range) as an example.

also, to alter the full screen, you'll need to go to user settings/full screen playback...

symphony 2020.5 - win 10 pro64 v.1909 - QT essential 7.7.9 - nVidia gtx1080 OC (451.48 studio) - intel i7 6800k @4.2ghz water cooled by corsair H100i V2... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Fri, Jun 5 2020 3:08 AM In reply to

touviere7:

in mc, if you right click on either monitor. you can change the display color space: switch to rec.709 (full range) as an example.

also, to alter the full screen, you'll need to go to user settings/full screen playback...

Thanks so much, touviere7!  I tried them both and now all looks closer to VLC and another viewer.  I know there's a whole lot to understand about Color space. My home system is limited to a 10+year old 24" Dell for monitoring.

I'm wondering if you have an opinion about which Color Space setting on the Source/Composer monitors is most "sympatico" with this Export Setting/delivery format: Avid Media Processor > XDCam HD 50 Mbits MXF ?

The setting on the monitors and Full Screen had been set to "Project" and the Project itself is 1080i 59.97 YCbCr Rec 701.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2020 11:18 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,545

All HD is rec. 709, so you are best with rec.709 (Not FULL RANGE) for broadcast. Be warned though it is not suitable for true grading or QC, only a dedicated i/o connected to a calibrated grade A monitor is.

MC with Symphony option, 2020.4, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2020 3:28 PM In reply to

Thank you, Mercer. Totally agree on need for grade A monitoring. Use Rec 701. Rev 701 Full-Range is bad. Got it.

I was wondering though why MC provides these various Source/Composer/Full Screen display options into context menus in our computer displays? 

Is there a legitimate purpose to switch among them, perhaps even on non-grading, software-only MCs?

Once again, Job has supplied answers - with his 2019-updated (on page 10) 2011 Avid Color doc:

http://www.jobterburg.nl/Publications/601_709_RGB.pdf

Thannk you!

• Fri, Jun 5 2020 4:19 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,545

It's for consistency more than anything, so you can at least have a metric - to calibrate the pc monitors - to get in the ball park for software only, offline and so it doesn't look wildly off from your grading monitor. PC screens are very often only 6 bit, better ones 8 bit and the best, like dreamcolor, only 8 bit dithered to pseudo 10bit. Add to that Windows/Mac colour profiles and accuracy is a Sunday too far away.

Any cheap BMD i/o device will give you true grading output of at least HD rec.709. The other colour spaces are for cinema, ACES, and HDR etc. When you have input luts, output luts, transforms etc. again you need to be able to have some consistency as to what you're looking at. Full Range is for web based content where you're unlikely to need safe broadcast limits. BTW it's rec. 709 not 701, rec. 601 was the SD colour standard Big Smile

MC with Symphony option, 2020.4, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2020 4:50 PM In reply to

Thanks for the details, Mercer. Sorry about 701's... hate when I do that. 701 = bad, 709 = good.

about this:

"Any cheap BMD i/o device will give you true grading output of at least HD rec.709."

I think that point you made actually gets to my initial question!

I'm familiar with AJA io express units that had offered HDMI as well as other pro outputs.directly:

The BM or AJA or an Avid-branded device is bypassing my video card, right?

But if (in my dinky single-monitor home setup) I'm using the same HDMI connected monitor to see their Rec 709 output of my file-based HD MediaFiles, wouldn't I want to be able to tweak either the PC's video card or use the MC Color Space display choices, to achieve something of a match to the device's Rec 709 HDMI output?

• Fri, Jun 5 2020 5:04 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,545

Telegram!:

The BM or AJA or an Avid-branded device is bypassing my video card, right?

Correct - it's sending a pure SDI or HDMI signal bypassing windows.

Even if you connect a 30K Dolby Vision HDR monitor to the hdmi outputs of your pc, you would still not be able to grade accurately. You can calibrate any good monitor but since it is passing from your gpu it is infected with all of windows colour profiles etc. It is impossible to be sure of the accuracy therefore of that signal going into your monitor. It's like mixing audio with your eq bass wildly off and compensating for it by cutting bass in your speakers. It'll sound all right in your studio but on CD the mix will be wrong. I hope that makes sense.

• Fri, Jun 5 2020 5:10 PM In reply to

Almost makes sense. I appreciate the lesson.

Take that same 30K HDMI Monitor and connect it to the output of the BM/AJA/Avid-branded device: I thought that would be "pure" or identical to original Camera signal, avoiding my PC, including it's GPU, completely? Is that correct?

• Fri, Jun 5 2020 5:45 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,545

Yes that's correct. Though the monitor would still need to be regularly calibrated to precise standards.

• Fri, Jun 5 2020 6:05 PM In reply to

Great info. Calibration, too.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller