Latest post Thu, Jun 25 2020 1:14 PM by TVJohn. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 2 2020 11:08 AM

Smoothing pans

Hi,

I have some camerawork that involves a slow pan, but still there is a little jerk in the movement.  Is there any way to smooth this in MC?

Thank you,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 2 2020 12:51 PM In reply to

Re: Smoothing pans

Are you talking about 'stutters' in the pan or about inconsistent operating? The latter could benefit from using a Stabilize. The former, you really can't fix that, I'm afraid.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 2 2020 1:04 PM In reply to

It's me moving the tripod handle, reasonably cleanly though not perfectly stutter-free.  So would Image Stabiliser keep as much of the frame as possble even while it is panning (I know it needs to lose a bit around the edges in order to attain smoothness) ?

The next question: if I originally link to the file instead of importing, place this on the timeline, apply Image Stabiliser, can I then transcode the whole with the effect 'baked in'?  And can I ever choose between transcoding fresh footage and/or with any effects applied baked in, even including other effects like, say, colour correction?

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 2 2020 2:51 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:
    can I then transcode the whole with the effect 'baked in'?
    While you may transcode the sequence, this will result in the transcoding of the used part of the shot plus the rendered effect. So at least two mediafiles will be created. You cannot bake effects into source clips, save for any Source Settings.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 2 2020 3:10 PM In reply to

What if I do a video mixdown with markers to get both the correct length of clip and the baked-in look?

• Wed, Jun 3 2020 10:03 AM In reply to

Hi,

The answer to my last point?  Is there any real difference, in this instance, between an import, transcode and video mixdown?

• Wed, Jun 3 2020 10:17 AM In reply to

TL;DR - It doesn't matter if you import, transcode, or mixdown. The success of the stabilize effect depends on how good you are at using the effect.

Supermandan1:
    Is there any real difference, in this instance, between an import, transcode and video mixdown?

Import and transcode will both result in the same thing: Avid media files that still have a relationship to the original file used to create them.

If you import the original clip and apply the stabilizer to it, you can always use batch import to get back to the original clip.

If you link to the original clip and then transcode it, you can always relink to the original clip if you need to.

Neither of these choices will have any effect on how successful the stabilization will be. The success of the stabilizer mostly depends on how good you are at manipulating effects.

As for a mixdown, this creates Avid media files that no longer have a relationship to the original file used to create them. You can't link back to anything, you can't relink anything, and the success of the stabilizer still depends on how good you are at using the effect.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jun 3 2020 11:37 AM In reply to

That's what I kinda thought re: bringing in the footage to Avid.  As for how good I am with the effect?  I've only used Image Stabiliser maybe once before, and while manipulating an effect is a skill to learn my impression is that it is a pretty automated process (lots of twinkling doing their 'thang') - I can't say I was particularly impressed with whatever result was obtained.  Could you point me to a good tutorial on this one? Thank you.

• Wed, Jun 3 2020 12:04 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:
    Could you point me to a good tutorial on this one?

I don't use stabilization much. Hopefully someone who has experience or a good tutorial will come along soon.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jun 3 2020 2:41 PM In reply to

Hi again,

I've just watched a few tutorials on this subject - on Avid's in-built solution plus plug-ins from Boris and NewBlue.  Any thoughts on the comparisons?

My main new question, however, is this. In one of my shots I do a tilt, then stop, and then a pan, with the subject matter in the first frame completely absent in the final frame.  Does this mean when in the effect in MC that I use two trackers?  Can anyone point me to a good tutorial covering this?

Thank you,

DC

• Wed, Jun 3 2020 10:02 PM In reply to

There is a concept known as Offset Tracking. LBest suggestion is to buy a book called: Media Composer 6 Professional Effects and Conpositing, by David East. After you read it, you'll be the one answering questions. If you buy it used, Make sure you get the attached DVD of sample media.

https://www.amazon.com/Media-Composer-Professional-Effects-Compositing/dp/B00DEKD40Q

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 4 2020 10:12 AM In reply to

Thank you, appreciated. And yet the book is in the USA, I'm in Britain and it will take a week or so to get here - when I am looking for an answer now.  Can you recommend an online tutorial for this issue?

• Thu, Jun 4 2020 6:29 PM In reply to

I saw one years ago but couldn't find it for you. Did you try looking at the Avid Effects manual? It might be enough to get you started. I don't feel confident using it but I know what it is for. A few years ago in a learning mode I got good results offset tracking a large photograph. You might want to put your shot online to lure the experts into suggested fixes... just a suggestion. I thought you just did a pan that suffered from speed changes, but it seems like it's more complicated. You might want to look at Boris FX Mocha... I believe they would have a ton of tutorials ... good luck on your quest.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 4 2020 7:19 PM In reply to

Thanks.  It's a simple shot, testing for an estate agent's property virtual tour. So a tilt coming up from the floor, hit a mid-height and then pan the room.  Two obvious targets are a window and a lamp shade, neither would be in both the first and final frame.  What is the terminology here, so that I can find a tutorial in a search?

• Thu, Jun 4 2020 9:56 PM In reply to

If it were me and I was in a hurry, I would probably try breaking the shot into 2 parts. I like this better than keywords right now:

Avid's Stabilization is going to Auto Zoom (aka Resize or 3D Warp) just enough to avoid Black edges, right? So here's my two cents: use Stabilize twice, first from the floor to the start of the Pan. Then on a second clip from that mid-point to the End. You would do two mixdowns and use the "brute force" method of matching, by eye, one end to another by tweaking a 3DWarp FX Position and Scaling parameter on a keyframe you place on one of the two clips. Lots of tweaks, but there it is. The edit can look seamless, but what happens next is the problem.

You'll want to return your manually Re-sized clip gently (with a second keyframe) back to its 100% (which was already zoomed-in from the Stabilize) The edit point can often lbe invisible, the additional loss of resolution you sacrifice is the cost of not knowing how to do what I think is probably very hard to accomplish anyway in MC... or possibly just as time-consuming. Good Luck, that's all I got.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller