Latest post Mon, Jun 1 2020 1:11 PM by Jack Woon. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 1 2020 5:21 AM

• Jack Woon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 24 2012
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 17
    • Points 225

Avid Titler+: share your experiences

Almost 15 years using Media Composer and staunch defender here. I decided to give up my old habits and learn something new by switching over to the new UI overhaul. At the same time I decided to stop using Title Tool and Marquee and give Avid Titler+ a try for the past few projects in the hopes that there would finally be a fully-featured titler that didn't require stepping into another window every time I had to change a single character.

That dream did not last long. I have run into several limitations and outright bugs that never get resolved.

* The most serious one is the extreme slowdown of the timeline after adding 10 or so of these Titler+ titles. Every time I hit play or scrub to a new position, I would have to wait 5-10 seconds before the timeline would be responsive again. This happens even when I'm not even viewing the title. I spent today going back and recreating each title in Marquee and the timeline has returned to its usual snappy performance. (Side note: I checked CPU utilization and it seemed to be maxing out one single core of my 20 cores - is Avid not optimised for multi-core performance, or perhaps it's just the Titler+ that is unoptimised?)

* Sometimes I would change something about the title and during playback the title would disappear, fade in/out or drift across the screen from its old position to its new one, despite having no keyframes. Even after rendering the title or other effect on tracks above it, the glitch would still appear. It would only be resolved by clicking on the title in effect mode and escaping out of it again.

* Animation is extremely limited when compared to title/matte keys (where you can update them to 3D effects, allowing defocus, rotation, etc.). Animating each layer is a nightmare. The rotation slider is a pain (0-360 as opposed to +/- from 0). Anchor points seem to not want to stay in the middle.

I created this topic to see if others were having similar issues. I know it's a new feature and bugs are to be expected, but to be this unusable after almost two years... This is definitely not the 'robust Avid' that I talk about to other editors.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4, Windows 10 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630 v4 @ 2.2GHz, 64GB RAM, Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 1 2020 12:40 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 321
    • Points 3,815

Re: Avid Titler+: share your experiences

Been using it in very simple supers/ids.   Nothing complex all ok so far.  Will dig deeper into its features.

L

Symphony 2020.8 - Win 10 pro (1909),Gigabyte X299X with i9 10920X cpu, Quadro P2000, 64gig memory, 1TB NV ystem drive, WD 4TB, BM Min Monitor, 11.7 drivers... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 1 2020 12:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,448
    • Points 234,020
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jack Woon:

Almost 15 years using Media Composer and staunch defender here. I decided to give up my old habits and learn something new by switching over to the new UI overhaul. At the same time I decided to stop using Title Tool and Marquee and give Avid Titler+ a try for the past few projects in the hopes that there would finally be a fully-featured titler that didn't require stepping into another window every time I had to change a single character.

That dream did not last long. I have run into several limitations and outright bugs that never get resolved.

* The most serious one is the extreme slowdown of the timeline after adding 10 or so of these Titler+ titles. Every time I hit play or scrub to a new position, I would have to wait 5-10 seconds before the timeline would be responsive again. This happens even when I'm not even viewing the title. I spent today going back and recreating each title in Marquee and the timeline has returned to its usual snappy performance. (Side note: I checked CPU utilization and it seemed to be maxing out one single core of my 20 cores - is Avid not optimised for multi-core performance, or perhaps it's just the Titler+ that is unoptimised?)

* Sometimes I would change something about the title and during playback the title would disappear, fade in/out or drift across the screen from its old position to its new one, despite having no keyframes. Even after rendering the title or other effect on tracks above it, the glitch would still appear. It would only be resolved by clicking on the title in effect mode and escaping out of it again.

* Animation is extremely limited when compared to title/matte keys (where you can update them to 3D effects, allowing defocus, rotation, etc.). Animating each layer is a nightmare. The rotation slider is a pain (0-360 as opposed to +/- from 0). Anchor points seem to not want to stay in the middle.

I created this topic to see if others were having similar issues. I know it's a new feature and bugs are to be expected, but to be this unusable after almost two years... This is definitely not the 'robust Avid' that I talk about to other editors.

Jack - are your system specifications correct on your Proile?  If not can you update them for me...  created a case so support could look at these for you.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 1 2020 1:11 PM In reply to

• Jack Woon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 24 2012
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 17
    • Points 225

Marianna:

Jack - are your system specifications correct on your Proile?  If not can you update them for me...  created a case so support could look at these for you.

Marianna

Thanks Marianna. Same hardware, but now Windows 10 and Media Composer 2020.4. I've updated my forum profile.

Avid Media Composer 2020.4, Windows 10 2x Intel Xeon E5-2630 v4 @ 2.2GHz, 64GB RAM, Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller