Latest post Fri, Jun 5 2020 11:11 AM by corrie90. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 23 2020 10:05 AM

• corrie90
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • UK
    • Posts 32
    • Points 310

Windows media player not installed on your system

Hello,

First may I wish everybody well during this unprecedented period of uncertainty re covid-19. I have not been here for some time, but I am back in the hope that somebody has the answer to a pesky but minor issue that I have had, and continue to have with my media composer.

I have a very old version of Media composer 6.5.2, that I have continued to use on and off over the years, for one reason or another I stuck with it and it works for me.

What I have however had to put up with is, when ever I boot the composer I get a splash screen informing me that I do not have WMP installed on my system, and that I need to install the correct version.

I have Windows 10 (64bit with the latest build ) with the correct recommended GPU driver and recommended QT version for this version of MC 6.5.2. But Windows 10 has WMP 12 installed by default, and what I think MC6.5.2 is looking for is WMP 10, but I can not install this version, from what information I can gather it is only allowed onto Win XP 32bit machines.

I can not find a way of stopping this WMP splash screen error of appearing. Is there a way of stopping this message or editing a file to stop this ?

When I open the Media composer and look at my settings menu and scroll down to export options I can see that I could export Windows images in either NTSC or PAL format, but not any Windows media video which is not really a problem.

I have attached 1 JPG

Thanks for reading this.

Kind regards

Windows 10 Pro latest build.GPU Nvidia Quadro FX3700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 4 2020 10:30 AM In reply to

• corrie90
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 32
    • Points 310

Re: Windows media player not installed on your system

Hello once again,

I have given it some time and I will still look in here as and when I can, but it seems from the amount of views (155) without any replies, that this can not be resolved other than possibly upgrading (is this a fair assessment ? ) which I am reluctant to do as I am a very infrequent user and it works OK with Win 10.

Thanks once again for reading.

Kind regards

Windows 10 Pro latest build.GPU Nvidia Quadro FX3700 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 4 2020 11:25 AM In reply to

Hi,

corrie90:
    it seems from the amount of views (155) without any replies

It also might be that you're using a 7 year old version of Media Composer. I realize it works for you, so I understand why you're still on it, but the pool of people who are in a similar situation is probably not that large.

corrie90:
    that this can not be resolved other than possibly upgrading (is this a fair assessment ? )

If the only symptom of the problem is the warning, and you don't want to upgrade, I'd say just click 'OK'. #shrug#

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Media Composer 2020.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jun 5 2020 11:11 AM In reply to

• corrie90
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 32
    • Points 310

camoscato:

If the only symptom of the problem is the warning, and you don't want to upgrade, I'd say just click 'OK'. #shrug#

Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Hi Camoscato  Nothing in life is perfect, so I take your point with good grace :-)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller