Latest post Tue, Aug 4 2020 8:02 AM by derDoyle. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 16 2020 9:27 PM

• barcud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 19 2008
    • Posts 42
    • Points 520

Subclips with motion fx AAF / EDL issue.

Hi, 

I'm facing whit this issue. (I quote, It's summarizes the problem well)

"Sometimes when footage was shot with 50FPS for example, editors want to have it synched with sound (if there is any).

So what happens is, that an assistant Editor applies a timwarp (200%) on the Video Master Clip, syncs it with the audio file and generates a subclip. This method works well up to a point where you want to transfer an edit to DaVinci Resolve to online the whole thing. (for the editing process the footage was converted from ProRes4444 to DNxHD36)

An AAF File doesn't seem to transport the information that there is a timewarp applied to the footage and it has to done by hand. It's not a problem when there are only a couple of them but if you have a sequence with minutes of those it takes hours to do it."

more here

My project 1080p 25FPS

Delivery will be approx 60min long 25FPS 1080p

All footge shoot 50FPS, multicam, (4k, 8K),  all comes with Audio.  Has to be synced, groupped.

DnxHD36.mxf created with resolve  - 25FPS

In Avid, Version:2019.12.1.53716.0  (slowmo) clips were dropped to a sequence, (one by one each has own),  with 200% speed up motion fx on them. Put the audio under them, and created subclips. Subclips were gruppped. As soon they get into a sequence, they behave as normal 25FPS, i can do resize, stabilze, etc... But at export, AAF / EDL doesn't take 200% the motion fx to resolve.

So, do you anyone (Avid tech crew as well) know any sollution for this? Will be fixed?

Or any other workflow how to deal with a tonns of 50FPS footage in to a 25FPS project?

Thanks.

• Sun, May 17 2020 10:00 AM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 49
    • Points 595

Re: Subclips with motion fx AAF / EDL issue.

As far as I'm aware there is no other way than to match frame twice, replace and apply the timewarp. I'm sure clever assistants know to do this as fast as possible, but it's still a pain. This is also an issue for VFX scans.

So maybe this needs to be a feature request. Ability to group sequences that have speed effects?

• Sun, May 17 2020 12:26 PM In reply to

• barcud
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 42
    • Points 520

Hi, 

Thank's for your reply. 

Groupping is working well, with subclips created as written above.  Yep i know the two times mach frame + motion fx sollution.  By the way, on the first match frame, THERE IS THE MOTION FX ON THE SUBCLIP, i mean it is visible. As soon you put them on a sequence, they were gone...

I did some researc, according them  this is a well known bug / issue / feature request since 4 years. 

It has been registred: "The support logged this as a feature request "MCCET-1478". I think they didn't fix that. 

Any Avid Tech Crew member here?

• Sun, May 17 2020 4:59 PM In reply to

I actually believe the ability to sync clips with a motion effect is a bug. Used to not be possible. Source clips cannot have effects. Perhaps it should work using Source Settings.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 18 2020 6:14 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,387
    • Points 233,325
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

barcud:

Hi, 

Thank's for your reply. 

Groupping is working well, with subclips created as written above.  Yep i know the two times mach frame + motion fx sollution.  By the way, on the first match frame, THERE IS THE MOTION FX ON THE SUBCLIP, i mean it is visible. As soon you put them on a sequence, they were gone...

I did some researc, according them  this is a well known bug / issue / feature request since 4 years. 

It has been registred: "The support logged this as a feature request "MCCET-1478". I think they didn't fix that. 

Barcud....

Did it happen in previous versions or is this just noticed by you?   Can you send me a mov of the issue showing them disappearing so I can get with the team and see if this really is the same thing as MCCET-1478

Email below

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 19 2020 8:40 PM In reply to

• barcud
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 42
    • Points 520

Marianna:

barcud:

Hi, 

Thank's for your reply. 

Barcud....

Did it happen in previous versions or is this just noticed by you?   Can you send me a mov of the issue showing them disappearing so I can get with the team and see if this really is the same thing as MCCET-1478

Email below

Marianna

Hi Marianna,

Thank you for your reply. I have sent you a mail.

Thanks.

• Wed, Jul 29 2020 9:09 AM In reply to

• derDoyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 18 2015
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 136
    • Points 1,645

Hello, I can confirm all this. I wrote a post in 2017 on this issue and it is still present and haunts me:

https://community.avid.com/forums/t/182694.aspx

Actually, I had a big complaint from an editor in my facility beginning of the week. He worked on a project with a lot if material in 50p. The asistant edior asked me, how he should give the clips to the editor. Based on my experience with this issue I told him, he should give the editor subsequences with the timewarp effect applied. Because the sublips tend to make problems afterwards (see the post from 2017).

This lead to a huge time consuming workflow for the editor. This brought out again the whole issue but luckily I found this new post which confirmed my fears.

And I just checked it myself, in MC2018.12.10 I still can autosync sequences with a timewarp applied, not a motion effect, a real timewarp effect from the effect palette.

Doyle

Clients: MacPro6.1 (2013 "Trashcan"), 3,5GHz 6-Core, 16GB (1866) RAM, AMD FirePro D500, 256GB SSD, macOS 10.14.6, Avid MediaComposer 2018.12... [view my complete system specs]

Passionate In-House Avid Support

Admin of the German Avid Community on Facebook

• Wed, Jul 29 2020 4:10 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,387
    • Points 233,325
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Doyle....

Pilling on the cases with this issue to get more visibility.

Case # 03991418

Marianna 

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 30 2020 8:11 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,737
    • Points 67,310

Not tried this myself but can someone check if committing the multicam edits before AAF export keeps the motion effects in place?

Symphony 20.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Aug 4 2020 8:02 AM In reply to

• derDoyle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 18 2015
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 136
    • Points 1,645

I am glad that we finally talk about this issue. So, I just did a fresh test with my MC2020.6: I have a 5sec clip in my timeline, apply a timewarp from the effect palette, make it 200% speed, make a subsequence and can auto sync it. When I load the subclip in my source monitor and play it, the speed is 100% again, but when I toggle into source timeline I can see the effect applied. If I cut the subclip into a new timeline the effect is gone and everything plays at 100%. This is a harmless problem, the effect is just gone. Second scenario: From the same clip in my timeline I take the last 5sec, apply the timewarp, make it 200%, auto sync it. When I load the subclip in my source monitor and play it, the speed is 200%, I can see the effect in the source timeline as above. The second half of the clip is a freeze now. If I cut the subclip in a new sequence, the effect is gone as above but the clip plays 200%. So in this case the effect is also gone but the timewarp is still working but generates a freeze in the second half because the clip has no more material. As you can see, it is a very inconsistent behaviour and can lead to a different outcome after the assistant editor gives his clips to the editor. Does’t seem right. Doyle
    Clients: MacPro6.1 (2013 "Trashcan"), 3,5GHz 6-Core, 16GB (1866) RAM, AMD FirePro D500, 256GB SSD, macOS 10.14.6, Avid MediaComposer 2018.12... [view my complete system specs]

Passionate In-House Avid Support

Admin of the German Avid Community on Facebook

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller