Latest post Fri, May 15 2020 6:13 PM by jserigny. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 15 2020 4:17 PM

• jserigny
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 20
    • Points 220

Random Freeze Ups and System Hangs

I am running Avid MC 2019.9. And I am experiencing some random system hangs and some issue where the system will not play after leaving the project open for a long period of time. I can still save and close, but the play button just stops working.

When I select multiple tracks the Windows Blue Circle starts spinning thinking that I can't do any more because it is processing.

Also, a few weeks ago I had an issue with a project that I may have been trying to do too much, but was disappointed with Avid's response and the documents that were provided as an resolution. I was trying to do about 8-10 video Picture and and Picture effects with 16 tracks of audio for a musical collaboration project. 

Before all of these problems back in November, I bought a Gaming PC with an i9 processer 9900K with 8 cores and 16 threads with an RTX graphics card. 32 GB of ram. To replace a system that was purchased in 2016. Processor and ram should meet or exceed Avid system requirements and the Graphics Card should play nice with Avid even though it is not Quadro card. C Drive and video drive are solid state.

I contacted Avid for some suggestions to see about getting the project to move quicker and not time out when I had a big dissolve in the middle and some 3d effects. Avid responded with the usual blanket it is Non Qualified System and the 2 year old system recomendations for feature performance. 

So, I am at my whits end is this something with my system or is the product of bad software.

• Fri, May 15 2020 4:46 PM In reply to

Re: Random Freeze Ups and System Hangs

jserigny:
    some issue where the system will not play after leaving the project open for a long period of time

Just a wild guess, but is your media on an external drive that's going into a power saving mode?

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, May 15 2020 4:54 PM In reply to

• jserigny
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 220

camoscato:

jserigny:
    some issue where the system will not play after leaving the project open for a long period of time

Just a wild guess, but is your media on an external drive that's going into a power saving mode?

Nope, the media is located on internal drives.

• Fri, May 15 2020 5:11 PM In reply to

Did you upgrade to 2019.9 from an earlier version on this machine? If so, did you make a new user setting when you did? That's the only other obvious thing I can think of.

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, May 15 2020 6:12 PM In reply to

• jserigny
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 220

camoscato:

Did you upgrade to 2019.9 from an earlier version on this machine? If so, did you make a new user setting when you did? That's the only other obvious thing I can think of.

It was a clean install of Avid on a clean install of Windows. I just copied the project forlder.

• Fri, May 15 2020 6:13 PM In reply to

• jserigny
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 20
    • Points 220

camoscato:

It was a clean install of Avid on a clean install of Windows. I just copied the project forlder.

I guess what I am looking for is an answer if this system can handle what I am editing. Or should I look for a new system or do some upgrades.

I am editing for TV projects that are 1080i, most videos are shot via AVCHD and converted into HDV files for easy importing and exporting into Avid instead of AMA Linking. Many times, I have several cameras that have to be multicamed for editing too. The average project is either 4 or 6 and some times 7 cameras.

I also have some footage from time to time that is shot in 4K in XDCAM files. I usually convert those within in Avid into an Avid format.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller