Latest post Wed, May 6 2020 8:14 AM by Bruno M. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 5 2020 3:27 AM

• coloreye
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 25 2020
    • Posts 13
    • Points 180

Bin Meta Data not Migrating to Timeline Clip or EDL/Cutlist

Currently working on project that makes use of bin metadata such as reel#, lab roll, KN start, etc,

When I try to create an EDL or cutlist, the only metadata from the bin that migrates into the list is the clip name and time code. I've changed the settings on the list/EDL several times and still the same limited metadata.

I then checked a clip in the timeline to see if held the bin metadata and it only has the clip name and time code.

So why do the clips in the timline not have all the metadata from the bin and why is the bin metadata not migrating to an EDL or Cutlist.

Windows 10

MC 2019

• Wed, May 6 2020 8:14 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 704
    • Points 8,820

Re: Bin Meta Data not Migrating to Timeline Clip or EDL/Cutlist

It might help if you could elaborate on the purpose for you creating the EDL.

Are you taking your project for further work outside of Avid - eg. grading in Resolve?

My understanding of EDLs is that they are incapable of carrying all the metadata that modern cameras produce.

EDLs are very old technology. I find they're mostly used when you want to send the list of cuts on your timeline to someone else. I know some colourists like to have them if they get one flattened file that contains the whole programme. They can use the EDL to reconstruct the cuts, rather than using scene-detect technology.

Most of the time, the preferred method is to generate an AAF. This does have the ability to retain the important metadata (reel or tape numbers, source names etc) which is needed to re-conform the timeline outside of Media Composer.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller