Latest post Tue, Jun 16 2020 6:30 AM by camx-media. 83 replies.
Page 6 of 6 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 4 2020 8:44 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 591
    • Points 6,995

Re: Intel v AMD for MC

Ah, don't bother with extra work of sending the ram back because of a few mhz, nevermind.

A 2tb SSD for the OS? 2tb smells like data drive for me, 256 or 512 for OS is usually enough for me.

34 Wide screens are nice, the ultra wide timeline is very neat for Avid. But 2x27" is better if you do a lot of office work too.
    I've used LG 34WL850-W, was good. Your Dell one seems a bit big. I'd like to see it in person before buying it.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 8 2020 7:29 PM In reply to

Hello all. 

For those interested the build is complete. Very happy so far on day 4. Everything went together without issue which i put a lot down to the quality of components. I went higher end after more investigations thanks to the recommendation of some posters here. 

I listed the parts used on an earlier post and im happy to say the build quality and performance of each of those parts have exceeded my expectations. 

Running 2020.5 and its working like a dream so far (it could all change in a flash i know). Loads quickly and runs butter smooth. Have cut 2 small jobs on it so far so no complaints. Will report back on render times and the like on a more intence project. 

In the end i went for a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB AORUS XTREME Turing Graphics Card instead of a quadro. While Avid is my main editor i will be doing a lot of colour in Davinci studio and so far its rock solid. Im running a driver from 15 days ago without problems. 

The x299x MB has 40 pcie lanes direct into the processor and have configured a Pcie m.2 scratch drive which is performing very well. Will add others in time. 

Processor again while not in the same game as a Ryzen Threadripper goes ok. 

Oh and the Superwide Dell 4919DW is awsome. Its very big but a fantastic 1440P panel and has made Editing a visual feast. 

Thanks to all those on here that shared wisdom and thoughts across the thread. You were very helpful. 

*****Stay Tuned***** [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 8 2020 8:43 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,610

Great - nice to hear all went ok - wondering if you overclocked and how the cooler worked?  I am waiting for supply lines to loosen up and so the majority of components are available   and I get what I want.

Symphony 2020.8 - Win 10 pro (1909),Gigabyte X299X with i9 10920X cpu, Quadro P2000, 64gig memory, 1TB NV ystem drive, WD 4TB, BM Min Monitor, 11.7 drivers... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 8 2020 8:49 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,610

Lukas Boeck:
    Yeah, but the layout is not optimal.
    You can’t install normal 2 slot GPU without losing 1x pci-e access.

I like the lanes on this board, holy moly:
    https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X11SPA-TF

Right - but for what I do right now and forseable future one GPU is enough - love that supermicro board not sure what advantage there would be for the my kind of work.  Did not price out supermicro with XEON but worth considering

Symphony 2020.8 - Win 10 pro (1909),Gigabyte X299X with i9 10920X cpu, Quadro P2000, 64gig memory, 1TB NV ystem drive, WD 4TB, BM Min Monitor, 11.7 drivers... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 9 2020 8:02 AM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 591
    • Points 6,995

LDV20:

- love that supermicro board not sure what advantage there would be for the my kind of work.

Well, then you don't need the lanes that badly.
    my main rig is filled to the brink with pci-e cards, I'm strugglig for every slot Hmm
    Raid, tape drive, 10G lan, audio, Mojo are eating my slots, don't even have a 2nd GPU.
    Untill a generation ago you could use xeons and desktop CPUs on xeon boards, now intel introduced an atrificial schism. sigh.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-7, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 11 2020 6:00 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,610

Lukas Boeck:
    my main rig is filled to the brink with pci-e cards, I'm strugglig for every slot Hmm
    Raid, tape drive, 10G lan, audio, Mojo a

FYI It is not too expesive the motherboard and XEON CPU comapared to i9 cpu.  Except I wanted thundrbolt on MB and XEON's seem to be lower GHZ.  However I do not know much about XEON cpus - but it is something to consider.

I am taxing my CPU constantly (except in yellow) with  4K AMA linked footage which is either XAVC -S 4K  or PRO RES 4K  as wells DxHD SQ linked.  MC needs to play back linked footage/reduce footage to from 4K to 1080P as well as conetend with some effects - pan and zoom - frameflex - plus others.   So I suspect the CPU cannot handle that along with a lousy raid card.

At times I will get stutters/red lines.  Also I am using a raid 5 with highpoint card (whihc I suspect stinks)

When I transcode then all is well.  So I am thinking lanes might help with bandwith with the raid card and 10 core cpu overclocked to around 4GHZ might also help.  For short 2min promos I would rather not transcoode - to save hard drive space, (got 12TB but with 4K it fills up fast) plus pushing out to BM 4k to Flanders AM210

But now I have a new problem in that 2020.5 is crashing so I need to resolve this as well - waiting for support to call

L

• Mon, Jun 15 2020 7:13 AM In reply to

New system been going well. hard to quantify speed but as a guide I generally use Resolve Studio to grade and Export projects that need it. 

Did a side by side H265 2 min MP4 test on both rigs with the same project 5. Project was 4k.  

Old Rig - 12min 3 seconds

New PC -1min 45 seconds. 

Most of the projects i do need multiple exports through Resolve so im rather stoked so far. 

LDV20:
    But now I have a new problem in that 2020.5 is crashing so I need to resolve this as well - waiting for support to call

Whats 2020.5 doing just out of interest?

Also starting to play with a mild overclock so will report back with findings. 

• Mon, Jun 15 2020 7:21 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 302
    • Points 3,610

I Updated to 2020.5 - did a project and it kept on crashing - sometimes I could work for awhile and other times it would crash just by trying to get a title in. or use symphony or just move the mouse.   Anyway I do not know if the update was buggy - or something in my project was corrupt.  I am now on 2020.4.  I was able to deliever the project, luckily.  Now I am in a new project with the same footage and i am just testing 2020.4 with the same exact elements to make sure 20.20.4 is ok, as I have another project coming shortly.

I will be starting the newbuild as soon as suppliers here have the components.  Most components including the case is not available yet on so called back order.  I think the Motherboard and memory is available but will not purchase that until I can get the processor and Power supply.

L

• Tue, Jun 16 2020 6:30 AM In reply to

Ah the titler crash. Have had that one with 2020.5 as well. So not you system or project. 

Page 6 of 6 (84 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller